1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Salaries are killing competitiveness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jul 4, 2016.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is a direct result of not allowing "max" players to get paid what they are worth. You wouldn't have these super teams if a team could pay a player like Durant $50+ a year.

2. chandlerbang21

Stop ......................... Leave emotions at the door

THis team is great for the NBA overally when it comes to making $$$ and increasing viewership. Us fans dont matter, our job is to buy merchandise and go to games

3. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Durant and Lebron should not be making similar amount of money as Parsons. If Parsons is making the "Max" then you know the system if F'd up.

1 person likes this.
  4. nono

nono Member

Yep. People who never watched basketball before are now gonna tune in to see this super team.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Great point. As much as I am going to enjoy watching this super team in Golden State, you are 100 percent right -- the reason super teams are possible is because of Max contracts. It is enjoyable to watch these teams in their own rights -- but it does hurt competitiveness.

Also, I'll throw out another crazy idea that I think would help with competitiveness -- get rid of the draft. Just let players come into the league as free agents.

First of all, this end tanking (which helps competitiveness). And teams would have to have cap space to win the bidding for the top rookies, which is what would keep already high performing teams from always being able to scoop up the most coveted rookies.

6. dje243

dje243 Member

Max contracts has nothing to do with it. The soft cap had caused this. A team shouldn't be able to have 4 to 5 max or near max players. Look at the NFL

7. Garner

Garner Member

but this removes so much comedy from the league.

Seriously...the kings draft players every year. its amazing.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Max contracts help the current teams. The current team can offer a 5th year and more money. This has nothing to do with Max contracts. It is the soft cap that allows for this since teams can exceed the Salary Cap on their own players.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This point had been mentioned in the past. The Players Union just would not relent. Max contracts give more money to the middle class players, which is the majority of all players.

10. hlcc

hlcc Member

The players union would never agree to this. The max salary rule greatly benefits every single non super star player. It's not exactly a secret that the non superstars greatly outnumbers the superstars.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They already hardened the soft cap in the last CBA. It's just not enough to stop super teams, especially in light of the big cap jump this year.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think you'll lose some viewership from old fans, but... New fans to the game don't give a **** about competitiveness so you'll gain that, I mean the media and new fans will just be attracted to winner anyway, local markets and smaller teams could hurt, but people will still want to go see the winner when they're in town. And with this new TV deal the league is winning regardless.

I'm just wondering if they should lose some teams or make the playoffs different format... I mean some of these desperate teams signing crazy deals to non-stars could have ramifications later, especially if it waters down competition in long run, making less people/advertisers interested, but for the short-term I think you're right. But let's say GSWs or some super team forms and wins 4+ in a row with no real competition it might get boring... But we'll see.

I'd honestly like to see straight 16 team playoff and no conference. East has had a cakewalk to finals for way too long.

13. ipa

ipa Member

That would be risky.

How about busts? Max money on ex-draft busts. A.L.A Thabeet!

14. hakeemthagreat

Competitiveness? The new age fan doesn't know what this means. To them seeing KD & Curry is the coolest & most important thing. Who cares if the game is grossly watered down? Its all about being cool and having swag

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

So then as enlightened fans who object to this signing we should do none of the above..

Do not watch any GS games if you are outraged by this move.

I certainly won't be watching any of them

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... those Miami super teams really killed competitiveness, eh?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/44T6FYdLcLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>