1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs to sign DeJuan Blair

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 30, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sources: Mavs, DeJuan Blair close

DALLAS -- The Mavericks are closing in on the signing of free-agent big man DeJuan Blair, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks -- who remain one of six finalists for the services of Greg Oden -- are in advanced talks to add Blair to a revamped rotation of front-court sidekicks for Dirk Nowitzki.

With one source saying Tuesday that a deal looks "promising," the former Spurs center appears poised to join new projected starting center Samuel Dalembert and the re-signed duo of Brandan Wright and Bernard James in a posse of centers to play alongside Nowitzki after Dallas lost out to Houston in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Where are they getting all this cap space??? I'm getting real sick of Cuban being in on every damn free agent.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DeJuan and only player to play without ACLs. Respect.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard (and Marcus Camby, Francisco Garcia, Aaron Brooks, Omri Casspi, and Reggie Williams)

or

Monta Ellis, Sam Dalembert, Jose Calderon and DeJuan Blair.

I'll take the former.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I will too, but the point remains, where is he getting the space to make this signing? Keep in mind he's also re-upping Devin Harris and going after Greg Oden.

6. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Devin Harris wasn't signed. He failed his physical.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

They are going to sign Harris.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They had enough space to sign Howard outright for $22m a year. They guys they are signing are adding up to around that same amount. If anything, I think it's a dumb strategy, because what they're doing now is going to put them on the Treadmill of Mediocrity for the next 2-3 seasons (something we Rockets fans know all too well).

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The super 3D is complete.

Dirk
    Dejuan
    Dalembert

Championship

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Devin.....Harris.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ohhh... to be on the mediocrity treadmill delusionally thinking you are a contender.....

Signing Blair to the vet. min.... OK...that seems great but it depends on what you are looking to do with this franchise and roster.

Are you looking for competition from the bigs (Dally, Blair, Wright) to give you optimal play? Are you looking for injury depth? What are you looking for Cuban?.... Do you even know?

To me this whole roster build looks like your trying to make Dirk's exit from the game of basketball more comfortable, but your actually making it worse by not just trading the poor soul to a contending team, and do whats best for the your organization.

However, its good for the Rockets so I'm happy... keep em coming Cuban. I hear Kurt Thomas is available too... GO FOR IT!!!

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Dallas is going to be a very competitive team night in and night out. The only signing they've made that I hate is Monta Ellis. Just don't like him as a player.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Blair was so promising in his rookie year and then kind of stopped developing and gradually faded.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I thought he would be worth more than a minimum contract. He was pretty decent.

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

spurs were done with Blair.

don't follow them closely enough to know if it was finally the knees or that he just never got better or could sustain the play of his rookie year.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He never got any better but he is a pretty good hustle guy and is worth more than a one year minimum. He's a rotation guy.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the couple games of theirs I caught last year I remember references to him being in Pop's dog house.

I agree - on a minimum deal - he's flashed enough to make it worth it, but I still think the spurs stance on him speaks volumes

18. arjun

arjun Member

for how much?? based on the other contracts...i'd guess

$11M/3yrs

19. LAC

LAC Member

$1.4M/1yr

20. Fefo

Fefo Member

The spurs let him go because of his defense. His kness where fine, and with playing time he can score and rebound, but he is 6-6 at best, too short to contest anything.