1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Tony Romo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

They may as well put him in the game if they do this. Hell, this is a good way for Cuban to promote a new reality show. He could call it "Playing with the Mavs". All he would have to do is a leave a roster spot open and sign random celebs off the street to 10 day contracts. Michael Rapaport would **** his pants for a chance to play in the NBA for 10 days.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Brian T Smith was and Dallas radio stations have been blasting him

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

This is cool af let's sign Gurley for the playoffs

DonKnock likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

This **** is a disgrace to basketball...

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The real question here is why would Romo even agree to this?? He looks like a clown. Why can't he just have a video tribute on the big screen at halftime like every other athlete?

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So two teams across different sports he's warming the bench for this season.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

not sure but it puts $$$ in Cuban's pocket. Worse thing is Dallas radio guys were telling Brian T Smith about how Dallas honors its athletes and such. So look for Dirk in a Cowboys jersey and Beltre in a Stars jersey.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Put him in coach!
    [​IMG]

#31 Snow Villiers, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  12. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

It is not against the rules. It's usually done for children. Only time we usually hear about it is when it's about a sick child. Many teams have done it and announce as an "honorary [insert team name] for a day."

http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/blog/2014/08/12/knick-day

DonKnock and DreamShook like this.
  13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Anyone have another link of this?

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Is there anyway he actually plays minutes? People aren't really focusing on that, if he actually logs an NBA minute that would be insane. Literally nothing like that has happened in my lifetime at least. I may have to watch this...

Whole situation is bizarre and pretty funny if you ask me. This is almost like taking a middle-aged average Joe and throwing him into an NBA game. He'll have a basketballref page and everything.

We should have done this for Matty Schaub

#34 oelman44, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It's so nice that the Mavs are a complete and utter joke.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think it's a big deal. If he plays (he won't) then we are having another conversation.

People get angry over the craziest things.

ISOBall and DonKnock like this.
  18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cuban: NBA shut down idea to have Romo play

DALLAS -- If Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban had his way, Tony Romo would not only have dressed for Tuesday night's game against the Denver Nuggets, he would have found his way into the game.

When he approached NBA commissioner Adam Silver with the idea, Cuban said, "I told him what I was going to do and said, 'Fine me if you don't like it.'"

Silver told Cuban the contract would not be honored, which killed the idea but did not stop the Mavericks from honoring the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback.

"Signing him and stuff like that, would have been too much for a lot of reasons," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "No. 1, he's a football athlete that's not ready to play in an NBA game. That's very risky. No. 2, to sign a guy with all of our requirements from a physical standpoint with the hours and hours of screening and all that kinds of other stuff, it just wasn't worth going there. And that's not really what this is about."

There has been some criticism of the Mavericks for how they chose to honor Romo. Cuban believes it falls in line with how the Mavericks have honored other Dallas stars, such as Mike Modano, Ivan Rodriguez and others.

"Anybody who thinks a layup line is disrespectful, hasn't watched an NBA game," Cuban said. "We've got people shooting half-court shots at every break, we've got kids for ball boys ... We're entertainment. And if they're so self-important they can't recognize that, it's on them. Not me."

Romo admitted to feeling a little out of place after going through his first -- and only -- Mavericks shootaround on Tuesday morning.

"I feel like they're all 7-feet tall," Romo said. "They're all long and lean. I look like a turtle out there next to these guys. But it's a special group of guys who are talented and the NBA is a special fraternity."

Romo, who is 6-foot-2, got to experience the fraternity at the request of Cuban, Carlisle and future Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki as Dallas closed out its home schedule against the Nuggets. The organization wanted to pay tribute to the former Cowboys quarterback by having him be "a Maverick for a day."

Romo worked on the scout team, even making a jump shot from the wing.

"He busted the asses of a few of our young guys out there," Carlisle said.

The Mavericks wanted to honor Romo's 14-years of service to the Cowboys and his support of them over the years. Romo said he has gone to too many games to count but has become a passionate fan. He can often be spotted near or behind the Dallas bench, where he rides the referees or holds running conversations with the players.

"He stood for all of the things great Dallas athletes stand for," Carlisle said. "A great competitor, a winner, plays hurt, the whole thing. And he's been a great supporter of the Mavericks and a good friend to myself, Dirk, Mark and so many. So we wanted to see if he would be willing to do this and we're happy that he was enthusiastically accepting."

"This is an honor I could never have dreamed of," Romo told the crowd before the game. "It's a little embarrassing, but I tell you what I'm very lucky. Thank you, Dallas. I love you."

From there he took his seat next to Cuban, cheering on his new teammates.​

DonKnock likes this.
  20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

They got through the game with Romo on the bench. The world didn't end. The integrity of sports whatever that means didn't stop. Water is still running.

Some people need to lighten up a bit and have fun. I have no problem with this stunt at all.

DonKnock likes this.