1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks want a first round pick for Wesley Matthews

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course Matthews would help, getting one between Lee, Bazemore, Jeff Green, Carroll, Harkless or Shumpert would help too, doesn't mean you have to trade a lottery pick for them.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Fair point...but Rockets mgmt isn't looking at HAVING a lottery pick. They are looking at getting the team better, to make a playoff run. Their goals haven't changed..and with the money they have invested, they aren't likely too unless it becomes clear that isn't going to happen. That won't happen until they get eliminated, mathematically from the playoffs, which will be long past the trading deadline.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't disagree with anything you said here, but as today that's what the pick is...a lottery one, i really have a hard time thinking that getting a decent/solid role player will suddenly make this team a lock to be in the playoffs so, that move would be really a big risk. I'm not saying it will not happen, cause it just takes the owner to be in panic mode and force Morey to pull the trigger, but eh, for me it remains a bad move on paper.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't disagree with what you posted, either, but IF the problem is that the Rockets lost Arriza and Luc Mbah a Moute, then Matthews addresses that.

Personally, I don't think that IS the real issue, and that it is more mental, but Matthews should help with that as well. Which is why he would be a good addition. Rockets seem like they clearly aren't going to get the top seed, but are certainly a team that if they just get in, could potentially make a run. On top of that, mgmt certainly understands that not even making the playoffs would be a HUGE disappointment, likely leading to a lot of house cleaning. So, they're incented to make any deal that helps with that.

Vivi likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i guess that's subjective, personally i'm with you, i don't think losing Ariza (i don't even consider Luc since he was literally not playing in the playoffs) is the reason we're doing so bad, but an upgrade should obviously help regardless. As for the rest of the post i can't disagree, that's a realistic take, i just hope we don't move the pick because of that if it's not really worth it.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I heard Tillman is writing the Sequel. How to Completely Butcher a Team That Was A Hamstring Away From Winning a Championship

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW, and I certain agree that Cuban made many mistakes, or at least decisions that didn't work out, after the Mavs won the championship...he faced a very different situation. They had lots of players coming off of deals...and having just won the championship, they were going to command big dollars. Cuban was reluctant to sign up for that across the board. Mostly worked out ok, the argument is over Tyson Chandler. What he then did was completely discount the draft...that was his real mistake.

Rockets aren't really in that situation. They did resign Paul, and did bring mostly the same team back. That team just isn't performing (which, ironically, WAS one of Cuban's concerns).

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I'm just making jokes. TBH my opinion is that Morey had a really tough situation. Our team was getting old. Players were declining. Bringing back Ariza, Mbah A Moute and Anderson wasn't really an option (for various reasons) but replacing them when our team is capped out is exceedingly challenging.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Haha, yes I got it. Just thought I'd expand on it some to highlight the differences, and what situation the Rockets are in (which you described pretty well0.