1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Cheeks is really cool!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dragon167, Apr 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Anyone watched him how to help out the nervous girl singing the National Anthem before the portland's game? What a classy act. He's cool but his team.......

I dont know anything about him but I'm his fan now.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, my dad used to always talks to me about Maurice Cheeks when I was growing up. I think he was his favorite player. That was really a great moment.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i saw him singing with the girl and they said it was a great moment. what exactly did he do. she just forgot the words and he helped out or what? poor maurice, such a good guy coaching a bunch of a-holes.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was a really nice thing he did for her. I have immediately become a fan of his now.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Classy classy thing no doubt. Unfortunately he is stuck coaching the Jailblazers.

6. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

so what did he do? she was not singing well, so he grabbed another mic and joined her? what a class act.

7. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Cheeks (known as Little Mo) was one of my favorite player. Back then, the 76ers was my favorite team (next to the Rockets) and I use to think of myself as Cheeks every time when I play defense.

I still remember that happy look Cheeks had on his face when he made that final steal and slammed it home for the 76ers final championship game.

It's always good to hear positive things that are done by current & ex-players.

Cheeks, hope you get a better gig next time around.

8. Looogie

Looogie Member

The girl forgot the words to the anthem, so he joined her to help her out.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ya that defnitely was classy on his part.

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

anyone watch him during the game, he was fuming, talking to himself and generally looking very displeased, strange to see an NBA like that, much a stone faced no matter what happens during the game, it was short like watching a parents watching their children misbehave.... poor mo doesn't deserve that.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yeah, Mo was always one of those guys that everybody liked and respected. Didn't see this, but it sounds classy, and therefore sounds like Mo. The player who always reminded me most of Mo, and he's a similar person, was Joe Dumars, except Joe was a better shooter. Had Joe D not played with Isiah, he would have played pg, and would have been a lot like Mo.

Other funny thing about Mo as the coach of the Blazers which no one mentions is this: Before they got it together for the Fo'fo'fo years, the Sixers during that time were seen as the biggest collection of talented players who fought with each other and got into trouble so much that they couldn't put it together on the court long enought to win anything. Everybody wanted to be the star, there weren't enough balls...players didn't talk to each other...sound familiar?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He used to feed Moses the "rat" some cheese during games, too. That was pretty cool.

13. Just B

Just B Member

I just saw the highlights of it on the news. That was a REALLY classy thing for him to do. I felt so bad for that girl before he helped her!!

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Mo Cheeks and Joe Dumars. Two classy guys. Dumars was the only guy I liked on the Pistons. He was the anti-bad boy to me.

15. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

16. Asian Sensation

This really was a classy act by Coach Cheeks and I hope he continues to coach the Blazers. I do feel its unfair to refer to all the Blazers as Ass Holes or Jail Blazers because there are plenty of great players on and off the court. Derek Anderson, Antonio Daniels, Saboins, DD, Stoudamire despite his green habits have all done a lot for the Portland community.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw that on the news. Mo Cheeks is now one of my favorite coaches. That was an extremely nice and classy thing to do.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That little girl is un-American and should be shipped to France. :D

That was a very cool thing Cheeks did.

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Can he sing? Scratch that, can he sing well?

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Inside Edition is going to talk to the girl after the commercial break. Check your local listings.

edit - she said she sang the anthem over 150 times but for some unexplained reason froze up. She said she couldn't breathe for a second. There was a ref close by her (in the video shown by IE) but he didn't help her :D. Her parents and her are grateful to Cheeks for saving her. She said Cheeks told her not to worry that everyone has bad days kid or something.

#20 Smokey, Apr 28, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2003