1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Matt Jackson's Twitter] Rick Dennison will be the Texans offensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Jan 10, 2010.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

According to Matt Jackson's twitter.

http://twitter.com/mj4sports

"Rick Dennison will be Texans next OC. Expect announcement on Monday"

Not surpised one bit. I also expect Chan Gailey to join the staff as Assistant Head Coach/Offense or Senior Offensive Assistant. Kubiak said on his radio show that he will likely hire two new coaches on offense.

2. conquistador#11

And I was holding my breath for Major applewhite. =(

As long as dennison recognizes the texans' strength,(passing game)there should be no problem.

" Kubiak said on his radio show that he will likely hire two new coaches on offense."
    Our we going to get another o-line coach?

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't know if another o-line coach will be hired. Alex Gibbs is going tell the Texans in a week or two if he is going retire. I thought the Texans should have fired their running backs and offensive line coach after this season. Running game was terrible and both coaches didn't get the job done. Kubiak said on his show that he was going give his coachs a break so I don't know if that means if he is still thinking about changes on his staff or not.

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Great news! He knows the system, and of course hes a former Bronco, lol.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Heard the rumor a few weeks back that Gibbs was going to Washington with Kyle and Mike...not to concerned if he goes, the system is in place and minus 08 the Texans were avg to below avg running the ball.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is a great hire. While the offense was much improved with Kyle, Kubiak was still doing a ton of work with them, largely due to Kyle's inexperience.

It will be nice to have an established OC, and that can free up Kubiak to focus on other head coach things like how to make correct challenges.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Mort on NFL Countdown was saying that Dennison was Kubiak's best friend.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Alex Gibbs will not be going to Washington. He and Mike Shanahan are on bad terms after Shanahan fired his son David Gibbs back in 2005.

9. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I do not know much about Dennison. What type of offense does this guy like to run? Is he a traditional play caller or does he like to call half back pass type plays with your third string running back?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even though Kyle was elevated to primary play-caller, Kubiak still had a play-card sheet in his hands at all times.

Something tells me that no play was run without his final ok/blessing... and that he probably called a good number of them himself.

If anything, having a proven offensive coordinator may allow us to avoid those random halfs where we didn't do anything, while the other half we looked like the greatest offense ever.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not thrilled by the continued "Kubiak Buddy Club" system of hirings, especially in light of our tough schedule on the horizon. But we'll see how things go.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. Kyle was a good offensive coordinator but let's not act like he was the one making the all schemes and calling all the plays himself. Some of his play calling was questionable like calling a wide receiver screen on 3rd and 10 at the opponents 11. New Orleans Saints lost their offensive coordinator last year Doug Marrone to Syracuse and they became a better offense. I think Dennison is going be a great hire and plus he has experience as an offensive line coach which could help the line be better run blockers. Kubiak is a great offensive mind and as long he is here, the offense should be good. I think quietly has put together a good staff with his recent hires.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The "Kubiak Buddy Club" has worked so far recently. Alex Gibbs is one of the greatest offensive line coaches of all time. Mike Sherman and Troy Calhoun became college head coaches. Kyle Shanahan will be head coach in a few years. Frank Bush put together a solid season as defensive coordinator. Ray Rhodes is one of the greatest assistant coaches of all time. Bill Kollar is regarded as one of the best defensive line coaches in the NFL. Brian Pariani has been the staff of 3 Super Bowl champions. I have no problem with the hires Kubiak has made to his staff.

1 person likes this.
  14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yet with all those great hires by Kubes, all we could muster is a 9-7 record this year and .500 records the previous years. So the assistant coaches aren't the problem if they are that good, it's someone else.

He could at least interview a few people to pick their brain and get a different outlook on what the Texans need to get better. But he seems satisfied hearing what he wants to hear.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Kubiak Buddy Club has succeeded at losing close games and making games close that shouldn't be. Our Denver South experiment has spun out of control as Gary has drowned when faced with more than getting us to this point. The players showed a lot of heart and talent with the second half push. Kubes wasn't up to the task.....Trick plays inside the redzone each week (Imean some horrible playcalling), the inability to punch it in from the 1 in three games, ruining Slaton by having him change his bodytype, and the resistance to go get a RB...just a few. This team should have won 11 - 12 games...... and now we'll face a brutal schedule next year. We ARE loaded and will most likely go to the playoffs whether Kubiak is there or not. That said, Bob needs to wake up. He shouldn't have let this chance pass to bring in Cowher or Dungy.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Neither were an option.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Well Cowher was option if the Texans fired Kubiak. There were rumors he would have been interested in the Bears or Texans. Because they were so few firings this offseason and he didn't want to settle for the Buffalo job, Cowher will not be coaching in 2010. Next year should be a ton of firings unless there is a lockout.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This assumes a couple of things:

1. The Texans are ok with awarding Cowher a record $10M a year. Not even Shannhan will be making that much.

2. The Texans brass believes that a 3-4 defense will work in the AFC South. I am not sold myself.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did exbronco's routinely fumble and miss FGs? Was it the exbronco's who suffered season ending injuries?

so the players get credit for the good play and coaches for the bad games? interesting.

1 play all year...horrible but should have never been thrown. Also, could have easily been shan's call and he convinved kubes...who knows.

how about block someone? how about not fumble? that plus lack of short yardage backs hurts.

yeah...it was his "bodytype" that caused him to fumble. :rolleyes: Dude's had a fumble problem in college also.

probably, but jets are better than we initially thought and save a few untimely fumbles and missed FG, they were right around 11 wins.

Loaded? subpar o-line? Question marks at rb. secondary average on a good day and DT still highly suspect...that's not loaded.

you assume they would want to come here and will even be coaching next year. What if they don't? then you look like the fool

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All you guys thinking Kubiak and friends are underacheiving need to check your expectations.

Had this team won all the games it "could" have won, they would have ended up being 14-2. This is NOT a 14-2 team. Not with their running game, not with their kicking game, and not with their paltry sack ability and secondary coverage.

I'm not saying the coaches are infallible, just that changing the regime doesn't automatically fix everything. And in some cases, it could cause more of a setback.

I like the direction this team has had ever since Kubiak took over a team with MORE problems than the expansion version (and less money and draft picks to fix it). They have a solid foundation on offense, and several playmakers on defense acquired through the draft. They actually know how to protect a QB now. They aren't taken lightly by anybody around the league anymore.

They still have improving to do... which they have done each year with acquired talent or just simply "growing up". I see no reason why they can't continue to do so.