1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Massenburg is a little cheap ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 29, 1999.

1. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

LOL

What can I say, I do like to eat. Pour a little mustard on that sandwich Calvin!

But seriously, Im not fat at all, Im a skinny 115 lbs

SO BRING ON THE NEW YORK CHEESECAKE

------------------
    "You know, its interesting..."
    --Calvin Murphy

[This message has been edited by 2Sandwiches (edited January 01, 2000).]

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Crisco he was not pissed about the drink. This guy is makin a freakin million dollars a year. That does not give him the right to yell at the waiter. Oh and I bet if you ever go to the Cheesecake factory you'd love it too. There is not a 2 hour wait because the food sucks. It is a actual restaurant, not like a Chick File or Taco Bell. If you dont want 20 dollar drinks learn how to drink regular beer or coke.

3. Jenna

Jenna Member

I leave the BBS for a few weeks and this is what I come back to?!?!?! I can't trust you guys alone for one minute, can I?!?!?!

Well, as you know, I have to chime in on this....

First of all, let me just say every encounter I have had with Mr. Massenburg has been very pleasant - he's never been rude, raised his voice or unpleasant in any matter around me.

But, then again, I wasn't bugging him while he was eating.

First of all, let me just remind everyone that professional basketball players, and all athletes in general, are human beings. They need a little space at times. Sure, they are public personalities, but there are just some times that people should respect their privacy - like when they are eating, doing anything with their families, and most importantly, using the restroom. These are just a few examples.

Second, just because a person makes a substantial sum of money does not mean they have a desire to simply throw it away. The wealthy, for the most part, do not want to walk down the street with a wad of cash and throw it in drain pipes. Most of them want to conserve it, as it may not always be flowing in. The fact that a person has money does not give people who have less to take it away from them just because they have it, nor does it give anyone the right to rip them off.

Obviously I do not know the exact circumstances of this situation, and I'm sure the original poster is probably leaving out, and adding, a few things for effect. Who knows why Mr. Massenburg was behaving in this manner - it is possible that he was frustrated that it had become impossible to have dinner with his friends, the waiter may have said something to him (which has happened to many players), or he just lost control of his temper. This one incident should not be used as a measuring stick of his personality, nor his true character, by anyone not present - and I advise the people present not to believe that this incident gave you a glimpse inside the everyday world of Tony Massenburg.

With that said, please, everyone, remember to be respectful of players - especially while they are with their family, eating, using the restroom, or when they just say no. These men, and women, are people, too.

------------------
    Jen
    How long was I telling you Shandon was coming before you believed me????

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm sure no one is going to judge Massenburg just because of this one incident. And just to let you know, no bugged him at the table. If you dont follow the Rockets closely, you dont even know how Massenburg looks like. As for me and my friends, none of us even spoke to him. So the people in the restaurant are not the one that pissed him off.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

ok guys, im a waiter, so take this with a grain of salt. If tony was mad at the waiter becuz of the price of the drinks, thats his fault, not the waiters. The waiter doesnt set the price. I m sure tony was just being emphatic about how expensive he thought the drinks were and that he didnt like the mushrooms. That really isn't necessary, but to each their own. btw, the waiter didn't cook the mushrooms either.

Did the waiter spit in his food ? i doubt it. I know some waiters who have thought about it, and i have heard of some waiters doing it, but only when some prick totally degraded them in front of the table.

Guys, its not waiters versus the world, we want to be as hospitable as possible, we literally work for tips. We make 2.13 an hour (before taxes), and it would be stoopit of a waiter to alienate a custome (especially one of tony's stature). Anyways, if he did spit in his food, i can guarantee you that tony would not have seen it.

Thanks for reading guys, Go Rockets.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hey Crisco, I take it you've never been to the place...I would not go anywhere near calling it "mall" food.

Jenna, usually I agree with you, but Tony being a horses ASS to the waiter was totally uncalled for. He should have dealt with it differently IF he in fact took his displeasure out on the waiter. Tony had better be lucky he was not at Joe's Crabshack and pulled that $hit while I was there.

I will agree 100% that it can be annoying when your eating and total strangers are coming up to you wanting to talk. Once I was hanging out with Flavor Flav(yes of Public Enemy) and he had people coming over every few minutes. I was impressed how he handled it.

And anyone who feels differently has apparently never waited tables before and had best shut their pie hole.

gr8-1, where do you wait at? e-mail me if ya want

------------------
    There is no offense without a good defense.

7. gr8-1

Rocketspimp, i work at city grill, in austin texas.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. gr8-1

hmm... i think my post got deleted, but anyhow, rocketspimp, i work in austin, at a restaurant called city grill.

------------------