1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Daredevil Season 2 (Neflix)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I gave it a go despite never finishing season one because it flamed out. DD2 is better than DD1, but both pale in storytelling compared to JJ.

My thoughts:
    DD2 started strong with Punisher's story all the way through the trial. Inserting Elektra into the mix added some spark mid-season, but when that happened, the show branched into two separate seasons and felt too convoluted. It became Daredevil+Elektra+Stick vs. the Hand and Punisher+Karen vs. the Blacksmith with Foggy being the glue.

When the stories branched, the writers introduced TERRIBLE antagonists in the Hand and the Blacksmith. We know nothing of these organizations and we don't care. The Hand is wrapped up in some mystical BS that makes no sense other than world domination through ninja zombies (I bet they got that idea from The Walking Dead). The Blacksmith is built up to be some mastermind behind the drug trade in NYC (why the show keeps referring to everything in NYC as Hell's Kitchen is beyond me) but it turns out to be Punisher's old CO who has only 5 minutes of screentime before a large leap of connect-the-dots by Karen who serendipitously recognizes a stiff in a picture. Terrible terrible way to end the season. Those antagonists serve only to extend the story for more fight scenes. Boring.

The reason Punisher and Elektra were better antagonists to the story is because of their philosophical differences with Daredevil. They challenged his views, and that ethical debate takes a show deeper than one hour of fisticuffs. If fisticuffs is what you want, then watch a Zack Snyder movie and understand why his movies suck balls.

Jessica Jones told a story much better with a focused villain that actually had a sympathetic backstory. Killgrave has been the best villain to date. Of course it wasn't without its faults since we had to endure an alcoholic Jessica and Killgrave's Anonymous was gratingly annoying especially with the neighbors, but its story was more gripping with the thriller element.

Those are my thoughts. Basically, if you want a story, watch Jessica Jones. If you want to watch mindless fight choreography, watch Daredevil.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You guys overrate the crap out of JJ. David Tenant aside its nowhere close to being as good as DDS2

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Rumor is Bullseye will be the next villain.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

There's nothing overrated about it. That first season of JJ was great. I would argue that it was better than season 1 of Dd. Season 2, not a chance -- too much awesomeness going down. Still a great season.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The hand is very prevalent in the comics...So no they didn't "steal that from Walking Dead"...

I do see your other points and agree the whole Blacksmith thing was somewhat anticlimactic.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. Half of the screen time of JJ seemed like it had her bemoaning her miserable life and drinking into oblivion. I get it. She's an alcoholic. Lets not point it out in every scene. Her "I dont care for anyone unless Kilgrave controls them" was ridiculous. It felt like a forced plot to prevent her from stopping Kilgrave from the very beginning. Dont get me wrong, Kilgrave seemed like a great villain at first, but I felt like he was not used well. When they let his powers increase by controlling over the phone pretty much put a nail in the coffin. At this point, what would stop him from walking into a radio station and controlling the world though radio.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That sidebar is mostly a dig at my criticism of The Walking Dead where ninja zombies manifest out of thin air purely to move the plot or create suspense, similar to my feelings of The Hand. I get that there's source material for it, but for the casual viewer who doesn't read the comics, The Hand was written poorly. No backstory and no motivation.

At least with Fisk in season one, we learned his backstory and character were from daddy issues, even if that got annoying since we had to sit through Daredevil's daddy issues, too. We got none of that with The Hand or The Blacksmith. They are just there.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Charlie Cox said he wants Bullseye next but it isn't his call.

There is a contractual deadline for Defenders (which has not been made public) that would probably delay DD S3 a few years. The two big questions that determine everything:

1. Are Marvel and Netflix married to their limit of two shows/year?

2. Because of the greater than expected popularity of DD S1 & S2 and JJ S1, can/will they move back the deadline for Defenders?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm wondering about the kids and the holes. They seemed to have built up a big bad that didn't fit with the tone of DD. Probably resolve around a mystical kung fooey Iron Fist.

They spent a ****load of time on it though.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On 2, I don't think they would want to delay Defenders. In aftermath of Civil War, there may be a need for a response team.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Has it really been 2 years since the last season? Crazy. I'm expecting big things, this trailer is outstanding.
    Also, October 19th, that's surprisingly close. They've been kicking them out back to back. I'm guessing Punisher S2 will be early next year.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess Punisher prevailed in their philosophical debate during season 2.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What makes you say that?

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Season 3 is released the 19th. Somebody less lazy then me shoudl make a new thread. i'm spoiling the below trailer video since it reveals a character that will be in the show next season and some may not want to know it

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Awww yeah, that's ma boy!!! B.E.!!!!

J-Mac likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who plays the new character?

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

some nobody named Wilson Bethel

18. CCorn