1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Cloak and Dagger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

JUNE 8, 2018

Freeform Greenlights Marvel Romance Superhero Series ‘Cloak and Dagger’

[​IMG]

Freeform is venturing into the Marvel universe.

The younger-skewing Disney-owned network has greenlit “Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger” with a straight-to-series order, Variety has exclusively learned.

Described as a superhero love story, “Cloak and Dagger” is based on the titular comic book duo (also known as Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson) who have appeared in Marvel Comics classics, including “Spiderman” and “X-Men” stories.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

No writer has been attached to the series, but the search is currently under way. Marvel Television and ABC Signature Studios will co-produce.

The characters’ story is targeted toward young adults, making “Cloak and Dagger” a seamless fit for Freeform (previously ABC Family) whose target audience is “Becomers,” the 14-34 demo.

Marking the network’s first-ever Marvel series, Freeform is following in the footsteps of big sister net ABC, which has a slew of Marvel properties on its slate including “Agents of SHIELD” and “Agent Carter,” plus Mockingbird spinoff “Marvel’s Most Wanted” and a top-secret Marvel project from John Ridley in development. Getting Freeform into the Marvel game is a smart move for Disney-ABC, as the cable network is held to lower ratings standards than a big broadcast network. (ABC has struggled with ratings for “Agent Carter,” which remains on the bubble in the wake of critical praise.)

Superhero fare is a new genre for Freeform, which recently pushed into fantasy fare with “Shadowhunters.” That drama was just renewed for a second season, and “Cloak and Dagger” will pair nicely with the saga series, broadening the net’s programming.

#1 Xerobull, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wish this could have been another Netflix show. This could work to show their romance on abc family but not expecting much action. Would be great if it could at least be CW but DC has that on lock

3. Xerobull

I'm not expecting too much as it's a YA show.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I agree, absolutely should have been a Netflix show. I won't be watching this.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Then it wasn't designed for you (or me). Marvel is a big world. Daredevil and Pixar's Big Hero 6 are under the same roof. This is something different for a different audience.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While I don't disagree with you (and I loved Big Hero 6), I mean the source material of Cloak and Dagger is about a couple of junkies that get experimented on and get revenge with their newly found powers. That has Netflix written all over it, but I'm sure someone will watch it. (More likely a lot of someones)

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea. . .the switch to heavy romance is interesting
    I loved these characters but i known this show will be NOTHING
    like the comic

Rocket River

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

What, was Moon Knight too busy? Or maybe Alpha Flight or the New Mutants?

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fox owns New Mutants and is currently working on a movie for it, not sure about Alpha Flight but it's possible Fox owns that one also.

Moon Knight; I'm not sure what Marvel's plans are for him.

10. Xerobull

Airs tonight. Good reviews so far.

Marvel’s new Cloak & Dagger is a standout among superhero shows

It’s more Legion than The Flash, and more Jessica Jones than Runaways — but above all, it’s a unique show about issues, not villains
    By Samantha Nelson Jun 7, 2018, 11:20am EDTSHARE
    [​IMG]Photo by Alfonso Bresciani / Freeform
    The titular superhero characters of CW’s The Flash and Freeform’s new Marvel series Cloak & Dagger came from the comics world and got their powers from exploding science experiments, but that’s where the similarities stop. It would have been easy for Cloak & Dagger to follow The Flash’s highly successful formula and have the initial power-granting incident produce a bounty of supervillains, which the protagonists would have to use their new powers to stop. But in its first four episodes, at least, Cloak & Dagger goes a different route by having them focus on real-world injustices.

The approach aligns with the characters’ comics roots. First introduced in the 1980s, Cloak and Dagger primarily focused on fighting the war on drugs, rather than doing battle with costumed supervillains. Drugs are still a major issue in the show, starting with the two-hour pilot episode, which premieres Thursday, June 7th at 8PM ET. It starts when Tandy Bowen (aka Dagger) is left waiting in the rain when her painkiller-addicted mother (Andrea Roth) fails to pick her up from ballet class. Tandy (Olivia Holt) follows in her mother’s footsteps, stealing drugs and money from rich guys she picks up from clubs. Meanwhile, her mother can’t hold down a job, and she always blames her supervisors for her failings. She steals from Tandy and entertains a regular stream of married, drug-abusing men. Powered by Roth’s ability to act as both aggressor and victim, and Holt’s talent for presenting biting lines that hint at the pain and fear hidden underneath, the scenes between the two characters are vicious and raw.

Cloak & Dagger also makes a key issue of racism, as Tyrone Johnson (aka Cloak) watches his unarmed teenage brother Billy get shot by a white police officer in the pilot. This isn’t new ground for a superhero show — Cloak & Dagger follows plotlines devoted to racism or police brutality on Luke Cage, Krypton, and Supergirl — but the new series is refreshing in the way it makes the story deeply personal. Billy’s death comes to define the Johnson family. Tyrone (Aubrey Joseph) is saddled with the burden of living up to all his parents’ hopes, given that he’s their only surviving child. He’s also a constant reminder of their worst fears made manifest. He’s a literal choir boy, trying to be the perfect model of a young black man while suppressing a simmering anger that he knows could too easily get him killed.

Racism and drug abuse are the series’s initial dominant issues, but Cloak & Dagger also brings up sexual assault, corporate malfeasance, and suicidal depression. The willingness to get dark and heavy makes it similar to Marvel’s Netflix shows Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but showrunner Joe Pokaski, whose writing credits include Heroes and Daredevil, doesn’t feel the need to use the ensemble approach of past MCU shows. There are no sidekicks who can’t hold their own scenes or plots made up so minor characters have something to do when the heroes are out saving the day. Keeping the network around the heroes thin makes them feel isolated and emphasizes the importance of their coming together. The show’s writing is crisp, avoiding clichés and bringing surprises.

With its high school-aged heroes and romance plots, Cloak & Dagger, in theory, should have a lot in common with Hulu’s Runaways. These are similarities that could have been built in to let Cloak and Dagger cross over to other series (Runaways included), the way they do in the comics. But the focus on two teens instead of six lets Cloak & Dagger’s writers take their time and focus on character-building, instead of flitting around from one soap opera-style plot to the next. It also helps that the protagonists’ parents in Cloak & Dagger are flawed but reasonable people, as opposed to mass-murdering supervillains who are still meant to draw audience sympathy. The smaller cast also tones down Runaways’ convoluted relationship configurations, in favor of ones that are easier to follow but still emotionally complicated. In the comics, Tandy and Tyrone are superhero partners as well as romantic partners, but on the show, they still have a long way to go before they reach either outcome. The one-sided relationships they start in are doomed, but their initial partners don’t feel disposable. It’s only easy to root against them because the chemistry between Tyrone and Tandy is electric.

Stylistically, Cloak & Dagger leans closer to Legion than to other current superhero shows. The curling darkness manifesting when Cloak uses his powers, or the blinding light of Dagger’s signature weapons are beautifully done, but the dream sequences are even more striking. They aren’t just visually stunning; they push the plot forward, providing insights into both the main and supporting characters in a way that could feel forced if they weren’t so jarring and emotional. Cloak & Dagger isn’t as surreal as Legion, but they both spend an inordinate amount of time exploring characters’ psyches.

The closest thing the show currently has to a villain is Detective Connors (J.D. Evermore), the corrupt vice cop who killed Tyrone’s brother. But he’s just an ordinary man, up against a teenager who has the power to teleport and control darkness. Ever since Spider-Man’s Uncle Ben said “With great power comes great responsibility,” superheroes have been forced to question how to use their powers for the greatest good, but also how to avoid doing harm to those not in their league. More up to the challenge is Roxxon Energy Corporation, responsible for the explosion that gave Tandy and Tyrone their powers. While the company has been mentioned in passing in multiple MCU television shows and movies, no Marvel show has used Roxxon to the full villainous potential it’s achieved in the comic books.

Cloak & Dagger has the freedom to experiment in part because its characters are relatively obscure. Fans aren’t likely to feel cheated by not seeing signature villains the way they would with Arrow or The Flash. The writers have also shown a willingness to change established character beats, moving the duo from the MCU’s crowded New York to New Orleans. The plot-driving explosion takes place on an offshore rig, a nod to the Deepwater Horizon disaster, and the Crescent City’s rich history and deep racial and socioeconomic divides provide plenty of material that the writers have only started to dive into.

Many superhero shows have started out promising, then dragged during their run, brought low by unnecessary padding or terrible plot twists. It’s possible that Cloak & Dagger might fall into the same traps. But the initial episodes are remarkably well-crafted, making a collapse feel less likely. It’s surprisingly mature for a show targeted at young adults, bravely tackling real-world issues while leisurely building the relationship between its characters. In a media market filled with caped crusaders, Cloak & Dagger still manages to stand out by breaking the rules for what it means to be a superhero.

Cloak & Dagger debuts on Freeform on Thursday, June 7th at 8PM ET.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will have to take a look. I think this should be a decent show

Rocket River

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yin and Yang.

#12 daywalker02, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Far it is not bad
    I am interested and will keep watching.

I was glad to see them intro Detective Brigid O'Reilly - I hope they take her storyline to conclusion

Rocket River

Torn n Frayed likes this.