1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Thor : Ragnarok

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

I highly doubt after a decade of poor villains that Thanos will be any different.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well

1. The Valkyries were an ancient thing that died off before just about anyone who is still alive was born, they were almost a considered a myth by a lot of them. Hela was only known to exist by Odin who kept it as a secret as long as he could, the one Valkyrie knew about her, but no one knew she still existed.

2. Agreed.

3. She basically did come out of nowhere. Odin banished her and was actively keeping her in some other realm or whatever up until he died. Once he was dead, she was able to come back. She wasn't mentioned because no one but Odin knew of her existence and he was keeping it a secret out of shame. As to the goddess of death, sounds like it's just a title.

4. I think she's not much different than Thor for good reason, she's just a really powerful Asgardian, not a celestial or something like that.

5. Agreed, it also shows how he's progressed as the Sorcerer Supreme and how much more powerful he is now than he was at the time of the Dr Strange movie.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on those questions.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Zemo wasn't a poor villain, Vulture wasn't, I enjoyed Hela, and Grandmaster as well -- I could go on. You think Winter Soldier was a poor villain?

#143 seclusion, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But, but, his blue or purple hue will be unique versus the previous blue or purple villains. His metal shoulder pads will be larger as well! :D

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

This movie was hilarious. I had higher hopes for it though action wise. I dunno maybe I need to see it again, the trailer just made it seem different

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It was OK, but honestly, it's all starting to blend together. They all seem like new repackaging of old ****. The arks are the same, and the hero always fails the first test. Hey, at least we didn't get another conflicted bad guy who has good in him but is evil due to outside circumstances!...

7. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This movie better not be full of cheesy cringe one liner jokes like the last fast and furious. **** was like the Harden of movies, unwatchable.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

the movie was very entertaining. so much death, even to important characters within the thor lore, yet so fun.

valkyrie is so fap.

so is there anywhere in the comics where thor wears an eye patch?

Pen15clubber and seclusion like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, when he's old.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeeeep.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Valkyrie was yummy, and the actress Tessa Thompson seemed to have a lot of fun with the character.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

the part where she put on her valkyrie armor and cocked that huge gun, fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

RedRedemption and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This movie sucked.

Didn’t know if i was watching a cringeworthy comedy or cliche action superhero scenes.

Yawn.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Nero

Nero Member

My God, sometimes I wonder why some of you people go to movies at all. It's like your entire purpose in life is to demonstrate how you are far too cool for school. Oh, how boring these things are! Oh how cliche these things are! On and on and on, ad nauseum.

Here's a handy-dandy little tip for you: STOP GOING IF THAT'S THE ONLY POSSIBLE REACTION YOU CAN HAVE. And make no mistake about it - your reaction is pre-determined. Some of you people actually don't perceive the movies at all, you simply pay for your ticket, sit there for two hours telling yourself how bored you are, and how cliche it all is, so you can then go home and show everyone else how superior you are.

It's pathetic. Just stop going in the first place and spare everyone else the glory of your boredom.

#155 Nero, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed completely. If you couldn't enjoy Thor:Ragnarok then you really have no business wasting your money going to ANY comic book movie.

I have a "friend" of mine that always does that edgelord BS where he makes up his opinion of something based on how popular it is. If something is near universally liked, he pretends to hate it. If something is nearly universally hated, he pretends to like it. The only exception is if he was in on the ground floor of something and "liking it before it was popular".

It's why I don't bother talking to him about what shows he likes or doesn't like.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I laughed reading this post and then going back and looking at the avatar of @htownrox1.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Making it essentially a comedy was the right choice.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why do people go into action/comic book hero movies and expect something emotionally and intellectually deep and fulfilling? If you like comic book movies and like action films and don't like a certain film that fits that trope, sure go ahead and complain, but if you are not a fan of either genre then why are you here lmfao.

seclusion and Roc Paint like this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Additional thoughts about Hela:

I mean, I wish we got more out of Hela. Cate Blanchett is a really good actress (and scorchin' at 48, but that's topic), so I feel like they wasted her. All Hela could innately do, it seems, was pull weapons out of thin air and have the skills to take down the entire Asgardian army / security force. Granted, that would be a good villain for "lesser" human heroes like Iron Man and Captain America, but we're talking about a villain for the freakin' God of thunder, here.

Even if "Goddess of death" was only just a title, what made her that? Why is she able to change her "hairstyle?" For what purpose, besides looking badass, did that achieve? I mean, I know I'm nitpicking, but she was able to catch Mjolnir and destroy it completely. Her badass moments aren't matched by what she can innately do, if that makes sense. Thor can call thunder. Loki can cast illusions. Hela can make sharp things appear. Her and "death" don't really correlate, unless it comes from her killing all the people. If so, it's a 'meh' title.

I think they could have done soooo much more with Hela. Instead of needing to use the eternal flame, they should have written it so that Hela could just resurrect the undead army by herself, with her own powers. (perhaps her needing to be in Asgard for some reason, "unlocks" this power) And because she didn't seem to have any super amazing powers, I don't really buy the whole "Odin locked her away because she was so dangerous" aspect.

I was expecting more "oh, ****!" moments from Hela, but the only "oh, ****!" moment was the Mjolnir scene. Weapons materializing out of thin air? Cool. Kicking the entire Asgardian army's ass? Cool. Using the eternal flame to raise the dead? Cool. Having a giant, rabid dog to fight for you? Cool. All these things are cool things that villains can do, but Hela's badassness wasn't really that explored. It's like they focused too much on the Sakaar aspect and then remembered that Hela was also in this movie.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of nitpicking, but I just really liked Hela's character, and thought more could be done with it. Blanchett killed it in the role. Hela is probably gone, but I hope she'll reappear down the line, somewhere. For the first time in MCU history, I wouldn't mind a repeat villain.

tl;dr Cate Blanchett is the Goddess we didn't know we needed. Hela > Daenerys! :D #kneel...beforeyourqueen!

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Buck, you should consider the health of the members when making these posts. I almost choked on a stupid "Nature Bar," or whatever the damn thing is. That's too funny! For a moment, I thought it was the reincarnation of Gandhi.