1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Thor : Ragnarok

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like them . . .
    I would have expected Iron Man 2 and 3 to be on the list lower

Rocket River

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

anyone seen it yet? it was released on wednesday here but probably won't catch it until late next week v_v

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

95% on RT

Marvel just churns these bad boys out like it's nothing. I'll definitely be there next weekend.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

a buddy who's seen it said it's practically a comedy.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You also have to look at the average rating because the fresh rotten % can be misleading. Average rating is 7.7 which is still pretty damned good. Same rating as the first Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. A little behind the first Avengers.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What We Do in the Shadows is A+ so, BRING IT ON.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It looks pretty good. Quite a cast, and they changed it up for a lighter tone. First time I'm actually looking forward to a Thor movie rather than seeing it out of my childhood-comic book nerd duty (not that the first two sucked, but they weren't awesome, either).

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can honestly say I have enjoyed all the Thor Movies
    They were not award winning but they were entertaining.

My expectations are not exactly low but they are not pretentious Oscar type crap

Rocket River

boomboom likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

wait, so it's directed by the same guy?

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yea some Kiwi. He made another good movie called hunt for the wilderpeople.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Really enjoyed it. I think they fixed whatever it was that made people like me who are a bit burned out by superhero movies. I was just waiting for Spiderman Homecoming and GotG Vol2 to finish while watching them.

Its essentially a comedy. Thor is a full fledged comedian now with a couple of times he powers up for the serious ass kicking. They packed it in with things happening but it never got out of hand. The faceless baddies who get mowed down by one superhero were kept to a minimum, but still there on both sides, faceless goodies? The Valkyrie was hot. And the way she moved in her costume. I dont know how they kept her breasts moving naturally in it. Might be discussion for its own thread. Hela was cool like the trailers. She makes jokes too. Hulk was a bit emotional. It was nice they had the characters in the World War Hulk in it. Voice was completely different than what you expect. I didnt know there were alien Kiwis. Ruffalo was good. Loki was good. Hemsworth good.

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Thoughts:

1. I'm not sure why they decided to introduce the Valkyries, now. If they were so important to Asgard, why weren't the mentioned in either of the first two Thor movies? Same goes for Hela. More below.

2. Stan Lee cameo was fantastic. And I think this is the longest he's ever been on the screen? Maybe in GotG 2, he was on longer, but this Thor cameo had more impact, I think.

3. The exposition on Hela was pretty good. Didn't really waste a lot of time explaining her motivations. I need to watch the movie again, but I think she just came out of nowhere, right? There was no explanation of how she was freed, besides Odin dying? Also, why wasn't Hela also mentioned in the first or second movie? Seems like a major character, being Thor and Loki's sister, and all. Oh, and she's also the Goddess of death, so there's that. Kinda important, in the whole mythology aspect of Asgard.

4. I wish Hela was more powerful. Yeah, she resurrected the fallen Asgardian warriors, but she needed the eternal flame, to do so? And if she's the Goddess of Death, how did she die a mortal death, with only stuff falling on her? I think she needed to die, magically, for it to feel real.

5. Strange's cameo was also great. Reminded us what he could do, and reminded us that he's still around.

Non-spoilery:

I thought the movie was great. Maybe not 96% great, but GotG 1 really opened the way for these movies to be more light-hearted and makes it seem non-superhero-y, all the time. fba34 was correct - it didn't feel like a superhero movie until it needed to feel like a superhero movie, so props to Marvel.

I think Blanchett could have hammed it up a bit more, but I think everyone's accepted that MCU big bads are who they are. Cate in a skin-tight suit though. Goddess of Death or not, she's yummy.

If they do a Thor 4, I think more mythology should be the focus. You have the Gods of Thunder and Mischief, the Goddess of Death...there's so much more to be mined. And Waititi needs to be the man behind every Thor movie from now on.

Imagine being at a director's roundtable of Waititi, Whedon, Gunn, Favreau, Coogler and the Russo brothers. That would be so much fun.

FLASH21 and fba34 like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

quick, someone spoiler the post credit scene(s).

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

First off, I thought it was incredible. I get hype for these movies in general, but this is certainly one of the best. It was incredibly funny/awesome.

*Warning:* End credit scenes contain major spoilers for the end of the film. Don't continue reading if you don't want to know what happens.
    1. Thor and Loki are talking on the bridge of the ship they escape the destruction of Asgard on. Loki postulates it's not necessarily a great idea to bring him back to Earth. Thor says things always work out in the end... They then notice the shadow overhead of a much larger ship followed by a full view of it. This clearly is a lead in to Infinity War and is the Black Order (or Children of Thanos is what I believe they're called in MCU) come with the intent of taking the Tesseract (which it's implied Loki stole earlier in the film).

2. Grandmaster (unarmed) stumbles out of a broken down safehouse along with what seems like 2 prostitutes hiding behind the door, and congratulates an army of revolutionaries on their revolution while also thanking himself for being great enough to have helped them have such a revolution by being someone they needed to overthrow. He says it's a draw. (It's funny)

Jontro likes this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This was great.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm glad they turned away from the serious, "Rightful King of Asgard" theme and went more GotG themed.

Not that I don't like serious comic book shows/movies but Thor was just plain boring. On top of it predictable. Bit of action at the beginning not much throughout besides the end big baddie scene.

Taking my son this weekend so he should get a good kick out of Hulk and Thor teaming up.

Thanks for the spoilers guys!

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

It was a fun popcorn flick. Nothing different from other Marvel movies. Funny. Poor villain. It's like every Marvel movie follows the same formula. These movies are just a 1 time viewing and never think about it again type of movies for me.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The movie wasn't about the villains. Infinity War will be.