1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Is this movie actually good, or is it just media pushing for a 'black' movie? Doesn't look that great to me, but the only superhero movie i've liked in the past decade has been Logan.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If that's the only superhero movie you've liked in the past decade then there's very little chance that you'll like this one. It's a fairly typical Marvel movie in that if you like the MCU, you will enjoy the movie but it is boring at times and the CG is inconsistent and at times reminiscent of Spiderman 3 or the Star Wars prequels.

Personally, I like the MCU movies, so I enjoyed it, but it's by no means the best or near the best movie Marvel has put out. To me it sounds like you aren't a fan of the genre really, so I wouldn't expect you to like it.

Big MAK likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i know wakanda has spies all over the world, but i think i found their american branch. not so subtle

[​IMG]

this is probably where killmonger got his ideas

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You seem like you've had a little too much red cordial today.

You see, just like a myriad other people in this thread I gave my opinion on a movie.

You huffed and puffed like a lunatic.

I queried what was the point of that.

It didn't seem like anything was made too easy for you, because you're going all over the place in just two short posts.

Are you ok son? Do you need to talk to someone?

#444 Downtown Sniper, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Oh yeah, I forgot Catwoman, too. But who could blame me.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Take everything thing Bobby said with a good a grain of salt. He had all things black or brown. The movie is very good. Killmonger and the women characters make the movie great.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

As far as MCU films go I have:
    Avengers
    GOTG
    Winter Soldier
    Civil War
    In front of it.
    I think it's between the 5-8 in the MCU imo.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Iron Man, Civil War, and Black Panther are on the same level. GOTG is next. What makes those 3 different is they are the most GROUNDED IN REALITY. BP doesn’t feel like a Marvel movie most of the time, a good drama.

Rocket River and Snow Villiers like this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean...I'm not trying to be funny but the movie is called Black Panther, and it starts in Oakland (one of the birth places of that movement) not to mention there are Public Enemy / NWA posters on the wall. This isn't exactly a bold proclamation is what I'm saying, haha.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Finally got around to watching it. Honestly, I didn't fall for the hype. It was a good movie, but didn't get me too invested in the characters. The political message that got beaten into your head every 5 minutes semi ruined it for me, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it. For example, Zootopia delivered the message much more subtly with more impact. It just felt like Black Panther reminded us that sharing is caring every 5 minutes and it got annoying.

Winter Soldier, Avengers, GOTG, and Civil War highest tier for me. Next would be Iron Man, Thor Ragnarok, GOTG2. Black Panther would be in the next tier with Spiderman Homecoming, Avengers 2. Then the rest would be a tossup.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

damn, that's a good point breh. didn't know there were so many coincidences.

seclusion likes this.
  12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are going deep in their spy training.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  13. marky :)

marky :) Member

I agree in the ranking. I'd put it also in the 2 tier of the Marvel movies. I enjoyed it a lot, don't get me wrong but I feel like they could of done more.

I think Killmonger was a great villain but I think they "wasted" him in a sense. I thought he was going to cause more divide and chaos within Wakanda among the tribe leaders/groups. For being such a badass, they could of expanded the scene where he broke Klaus out of the CIA's safehouse. Have it be a bigger building, where he had to fight through more guards etc.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think it was quite as political as y'all think, or it wasn't just about making a political statement, it came off as something more simple to me, it was about relating to people that feel a certain way. Which I guess in a roundabout might be considered political, but... again. There's an angle to it all, they're just trying to relate.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

There's a black director, with a mainly black cast, about a character named The Black Panther.

You guys didn't think the African American culture would come into play?

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s only mere coincidence that black panther and black panther party have same name, comic came out before the party. I hate that those two get combined together

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

With Black Panther it really should be African culture.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wouldn't it be both? Especially since Killmonger is American. How dare they, I guess.

seclusion likes this.
  19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

By a few months, yes -- you're right. With that said, I think it's better to embrace it than to just discard it. I don't agree with all of their message, I didn't agree with all of Malcom X's message either, but I think there's a lesson to be learned from everyone. It's all part of history.

With that said there are very clear references to it in the movie.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes killmonger should have more american culture, but the majority of the film is in Africa and should have more African culture, I think they did a good job of that.