1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Jackson sells soul to devil, now a Jazz

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Old School, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Point guard Mark Jackson signed with the Utah Jazz on Wednesday, a deal that would give the team a dependable backup to John Stockton.

The 37-year-old player passed his physical, and the Jazz made his signing official by bringing him out for evening practice. (Related item:NBA free agents)

"It feels real good and I'm real excited to play for this team because of the class they have and the two Hall of Famers they have," Jackson said, speaking of forward Karl Malone and guard John Stockton. "I admire the way they play the game as hard as they can every single day."

Terms were not announced, but newspaper reports had Jackson signing a one-year contract for just over $1 million, the veteran's minimum.

Jackson averaged 8.4 points and 7.4 assists a game with the New York Knicks last season. He was traded to Denver on draft night, but after he made it clear he didn't want to play for a rebuilding team, the Nuggets bought out his contract and he became a free agent.

"I just think he wanted to play with a team that had veterans," said Kevin O'Connor, Utah's vice president of basketball operations. "He's a veteran who knows how to play the game. He's guarded our offense enough, I think he knows what we run offensively. I don't think he'll have a problem adjusting."

Jackson has spent 15 years with five teams, and he ranks fourth in the NBA in assists with 9,840 — behind only Stockton, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson.

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan didn't say what his role might be, but indicated he could end up playing either behind or alongside Stockton.

"I never have any questions about guys who can pass the balls on my team," Sloan said. "When you look around the league, all people talk about is who can shoot. We need guys that can pass first and feed the post."

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

More on the Jazz:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - After signing point guard Mark Jackson to back up the 40 year old John Stockton, the Utah Jazz have signed free agent power forward Methuselah to back up the 39 year old Karl Malone.

Methuselah, at age 969, will be the oldest player to play in the NBA. He still expects to have a productive season. "When Utah called me, I debated whether or not to come back", said Methuselah, "These knees aren't what they used to be. I think I still have a lot to give to the game of basketball, though".

Methusela played last season overseas, where he averaged 7.3 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. When asked if he can still be productive, he was very straightforward.

"I don't ask questions. When Noah was building that stupid boat, I didn't question anything. I just did my job. That's what I'm going to do here, and I'll help out in any way I can. I'm just glad my days of sweeping up Hippo crap are over"

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not too old to learn new tricks, I hope.

Jerry Sloan, coaching Mark Jackson: "Then you grab your guy in a bearhug and then you pretend he's locked you up. Or when your defender touches you, however slightly, act like you've been shot. The official goes for it every time. Here, John'll show you."

Stockton saying, "I thought I was gonna teach him 'The Clothesline' and 'Thwap-on-the-Nuts' today?"

And Malone: "I was gonna show him how to kick your defender in the chest or nads when going to the basket."

"Rome wasn't built in a day, we'll show him those tomorrow."

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Funniest bit I read today...thanks A-Train.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This makes be worried, the Jazz are countering our youth movement with that young gun Mark Jackson. That should be the energetic shot in the arm they need to make a title run!

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That's it. It's over. The Jazz are going all the way this year.

All the way to 32 wins.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Great stuff. All true. :)

Jordan now needs to join the Jazz so he can show Jackson his moves:

"Look, just market yourself well enough, and you can take three steps going to the basket every time. Just make sure to stick your tongue out to distract people."

8. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Jazz are now the lamest team I've ever seen

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gawd, it'll be that much sweeter to make the playoffs to watch the Jazz on the outside, looking in, for a change.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It wouldn't be too bad meeting them in the first round and promptly sweeping them either. :)

Shame about Jackson though, he seemed like such a nice guy...