1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban Betraying the Troops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vtkp99, Nov 16, 2007.

1. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

http://www.billoreilly.com/currentarticle

Betraying the Troops
    By Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
    Thursday, Nov 15, 2007

Just in time for Thanksgiving, the vile movie "Redacted" is opening in a few theatres this week. The film, financed by billionaire Mark Cuban and directed by far-left bomb thrower Brian DePalma, features drunken American soldiers in Iraq raping and murdering a 14-year-old girl and then slaughtering her family.

As stated in this space two months ago, a depiction like this will be displayed prominently on jihadi websites, and will be used as a recruiting tool by terrorists. No doubt.

Both DePalma and Cuban are unrepentant and apparently could not care less about putting U.S. troops in even more danger. Cuban opines that it is wrong to condemn the film without seeing it, but that's incredible nonsense. No one denies the movie puts American soldiers in the worst light possible. As one reader emailed, "Saying you can't condemn 'Redacted' without seeing it is like saying you can't condemn crystal meth without taking it."

So what's to be done here? In a free society, Mark Cuban is entitled to make this despicable movie. Our military people have fought and died to give him that right. Isn't that ironic? Cuban uses his freedom and his money, made in America, to put our troops at further risk. How does the guy live with himself?

This isn't about the Iraq war or the war on terror. This is about fellow citizens. Even during the ultra-contentious Vietnam conflict, Hollywood didn't make films that aided the enemy. Jane Fonda made a personal appearance in North Vietnam that did that, and she is still paying for it to this day.

Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Maverick basketball team and has been seen gyrating on TV's "Dancing With the Stars." While Cuban is doing the cha-cha, almost 200,000 brave Americans are on far-away battlegrounds. Picture the image of Cuban dancing around juxtaposed with scenes of the hardship our troops face everyday. Sounds like it would make an interesting movie sequence, don't you think?

There comes a time when good people must make a stand, and this is one of those times. Cuban and DePalma have done a bad thing; they have made life even harder for our troops. So Americans should stand in front of any theatre showing "Redacted" and hold a simple sign: "Support the Troops."

There is no excuse for "Redacted." The incident is based on a true story, but those who committed the crimes are in prison for life. You don't celebrate this kind of aberration with a movie—you don't brand the U.S. military with this stigma.

Charles Manson is an American too, but does he represent this country in any way? Of course not. And I believe even the odious Manson would not make a movie like "Redacted."

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

D&D here we come!

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bill O'Rly .com article in the hangout ...

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Yeah, but who's going to defend Mark Cuban....

New Yorker's ghost?

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hmm, Casualties of War with Micheal J. Fox? yea, i know it was made AFTER the war, but it sure didn't shed a good light on american troops either.

anyhow, i don't think terrorists need such a movie for a their cause. they seem to be doing "fine" before this movie.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Cuban, but this is not a good move on his part.

DD

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hmm, what's worse, a movie about this or the fact that it actually happened?

8. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

I support Cuban 100%, when does this movie come out??

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is actually Bill's point. He has no issue with movies being made post conflict, well he does but doesn't oppose their right to do so. What he's unhappy about is that we are in the middle of a war and Cuban is doing this. It's like bulletin board material in sports except now there are people's lives on the line.

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

hahaha..

11. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Cuban finally does something good. His timing might be wrong but I cant disagree with him. The media only shows you one side over and over again. Its about time Americans see both sides of the picture.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

How dare they show the truth?!?!

The nerve.

And yeah, I think it was a recruitment tool already when it was plastered all over international headlines for weeks. (just not here)

14. No Worries

BS. If Clinton had got us into Iraq in Keystone Cop fashion the way W did, Bill O would claim that it was Cuban's patriotic duty to make the film.

15. No Worries

And the Iraq Occupation is not a 24x7 advertisement for US imperialism gone awry?

16. Blake

it is as well

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Truth? :confused: This movie is about a few dumb@$$ thugs who are already in jail for the rest of their lives for what they did. The TRUTH is that this behavior is NOT the norm; however, a movie like this will be shown to those that hate Americans and they'll believe this is the TRUTH about how most Americans and their military treat Muslims.

I'm for pulling back the military, but while they are over there, lets not provoke more hate towards them.

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yeah, it's cool to make it tougher on our servicemen and also show a bunch of pics of dead, real American servicemen too. :rolleyes:

Make the movie... just after our troops have left the country.

19. Blake

My point was that the incident was already highly publicized in the international media. It's not as if it wasn't airing all over the place after it happened...it just wasn't as heavily publicized in the US media for obvious reasons.

I don't think that our soldiers are over there doing that...I know it was an isolated incident, but it did happen, and although I don't like a documentary being made about it, the fact of the matter is that it did happen and it is already well known in the international community

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Did O'Reilly ever send his books over to the military to show his support? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: