1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Stein Says Shouldnt Fire Rudy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamma34, Feb 17, 2003.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

i really hope this hasnt been posted yet.. i did a quick check and didnt see it

Besides better ball movement and some consistent production from power forward, what do the Houston Rockets need to hold onto the No. 8 spot in the West?

Besides a return to their stingy, pre-slump defense?

The Rockets, it seems, need Glen Rice.

It was Rice, heretofore not known for such speeches, who called three team meetings in the first two months of the season to preach sharing the ball and maintaining focus. Without Rice, who hasn't played since mid-January because of knee and shoulder trouble, Houston has been missing a veteran voice.

Oh, yeah: Hard to see how the Rockets' fade from a surprising 23-15 start can put Rudy Tomjanovich on the hot seat. Tough to blame Rudy T for not maintaining that pace with a team this young, in the West, and with everything extra asked of the coach as part of the arrival and incorporation of Yao Ming.

Question to disgruntled Houstonians: Is a coaching change something you really want to throw at Yao now? Or even this offseason?

from http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1510300.html

2. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

It is beyond comprehension to me that some people are willing to let Rudy off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Off the hook for what?

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

for not winning the championship, TheFreak!!!!

it's February, dammit!!!!

WHERE ARE OUR RINGS????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Lets see, there was one in 94 and one in 95. Since then, only 3 other teams have won championships. So I guess about 26 other coaches should also be fired :rolleyes:

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Getting the team ready to play every night. Or doing something on those nights when they fail to show up. Perish the thought -- a 'shock troop' five minute run with Collier and Boki and Hawk and two others. Something coaches do to overcome their players' ennui.

7. Just B

Just B Member

That's what I was thinking. There's only been 3 (that's right, 3!) championship coaches in the NBA over the last 12 or 13 years and Rudy T is one of them. If you think that qualifies to get a guy fired then I don't know what you're thinking. Just because we don't dominate the league every year doesn't mean Rudy's a bad coach, he's just working with a fresh new crop of players.

8. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

steins right. but that won't stop me from complaining about rudy.

you're a moron. go away and stop abusing exclamation points.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Apparently you missed the SA game.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure, there are times when Rudy pisses me off, but to fire him?? Whatever. Thats just asinine.

11. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I'm sure that guy reads this board. :)

And he's not that wrong.

I'm just glad that he even mentioned the Houston Rockets as a team...not just talking about Yao.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

touche!

The awesome crusade of TheFreak continues.

13. Panda

Panda Member

I take it as Marc Stein is pushing for Glen Rice to coach the Rockets.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Are you a Moron?! You do know that the NBA season doesnt end before/during February...don't you? geez.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think Chevious Minnifield was being sarcastic. :)

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yeah perhaps. I just felt like being an ass. He kind of walked into that...and I am having a bad day...;)

17. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I wish he just wasn't so afraid to lay down the law and punish our young stars for the mistakes they make on the floor. His method of interacting with the players as equals worked when we had class-acts like Dream and Glyde but now we've got guys that think they're the hottest thing since sliced bread.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I say give him one more year to work with this team and iron out all the kinks...

now if next year, we're playing the same way...then it's been nice seeing you rudy.

19. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

IMO Steins making sense.. the teams got the lowest maturity level in the whole NBA.. a playing veteran is needed..

20. digitx

digitx Member

i'll say this again...

who in the freak would you replace rudy with? mario elie? guy v.? isiah thomas? george karl? john lucas? freakin' don cheney(sp) is coaching again...the average nba coach sucks, and rudy's not one of them...

i'll start a petition for letting rudy t hang on for a couple of more years, then, once yao and steve get the hang of each other and the nba, we'll get phil jackson to babysit the team to three in a row...

zen