1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Kevin Martin on all-star game and Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Braga, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Braga

Braga Rookie

Q: The West is so crowded this season that it's tough just getting into the conversation about who's being snubbed. How frustrating is that when you're putting up the numbers you're putting up?

A: This year, going into the season, I felt like one of the top shooting guards. I was left out of that discussion because of last year. I was just getting my game back [after wrist surgery]. But I feel like I'm back in that discussion. Like everyone says in the NBA, it is what it is.

Q: So it won't be a huge letdown if the [West] coaches don't vote you in?

A: There's a lot of guys worthy of being in the All-Star Game in the West. It's funny. There's just so much that goes into it. It's not just your talent. My main focus was playing again like one of the top shooting guards in the West. I feel like I'm an All-Star guard. But I can only control what I can control.

Q: You have a chance to lead the league in 3s made and free throws made, which no one's ever done before. What's clicked for you this season? Just being more comfortable after the trade?

A: I'm healthy.

Q: It's that simple?

A: I was coming off a broken wrist [last season]. I felt pain through the whole season [after wrist surgery in November]. Even when I got to Houston, I only shot 31 percent on 3s. I knew the bone was fixed, but the ligaments around it were sore and tight. I wasn't making any progress. I just thought it was something I'd have to play with my whole career.

Then working out during the summer, I don't know if it was the exercises I was doing or what, but it seemed like overnight the pain just left. Just like that I felt no soreness, no pain. That was like mid-July.

Q: I'm sure you've heard people throw out the Rockets as a team that could wind up with Carmelo Anthony. I'm guessing it's hard not to think about that sometimes, right?

A: You do hear stuff like that. He's a great player and that would be a dynamic scoring combo. But I'm happy with the team we've got right now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110128-30/stein-all-star-reserves

Does Kevin Martin deserve to be an all-star?

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

List the top 5 guards in the western conference. Is he one of them?

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

no...

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

he deserves to be an all-star...but they're are several guards who deserve to be one more than him, which leaves him off.

1 person likes this.
  5. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

in other words, he doesnt deserve to be an Allstar this season

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Martin and Luis Scola are very similar players.

Near all-stars, that would be great on a JVG squad that had stud defenders at every position. Throw in a real star and you might have something.

7. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Melo?

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So true!

9. moreyball

moreyball Member

Hold on Martin, don't assume you and Carmelo would play together and be a "dynamic" duo if Carmelo is traded to Houston, cause you could be traded FOR him.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Fine.

But list the top 5 SGs in the West and tell me where he winds up?

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I actually think he will make the team as a surpirise.

12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Impossible

13. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Not for the All Star team but maybe for Team USA.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

They were giving him mad props on ESPN. A lot of ex pros really respect how efficient he is. As for best SG in the west. Kobe is the best, after that it's a drop with Roy out. Ellis Ginobili or Kmart would be the next best....

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Just because he is a Rocket people shouldnt downplay Martin. Beside Kobe, its a toss up between him or Ellis in the west and Ellis is more like a PG to me. Quietly scoring or making noise the way you score is still scoring. He's good at it.

16. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

In all actuality I think he would be good for international basketball. Team USA often lacks consistent outside shooting, so he could help there tremendously.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Kevin Martin does deserve to be in the All-Star game this season, especially considering the significant drop off in talent in the Western Conference at the 2 guard position.

For 2's in the West Per 36 Minute Points

1st) Kobe - 27.32
    2nd) Kevin Martin - 26.88
    3rd) Eric Gordon - 22.95

FYI Monta Ellis (PG/SG) - 22.56

No one else even comes close.....Kevin Martin is 6th in the West in Scoring/Game and is 47th in the West in minutes played/game......that is the definition of efficiency...

For the pundits out there, when it comes to guards the All-Star game does not choose its players based on defense, it's based on offense. And when it comes to offense Kevin Martin is second to one (as opposed to none....lol).

18. Hball

Hball Member

He's not on the all-star team because he's never put up numbers on a winning on a team, nor is he an exciting(highlight reel) type player like griffin, wall and other players on losing teams.

19. The Situation

The Situation Member

Martin's game isn't sexy like Ellis or Kobe, that's really what it comes down to.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Seriously, for an all-star game Kevin Martin would be perfect. All points and no D.