1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Spears on SR610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 10, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Please lock or move if needed, thanks.

Marc Spears of Y! Sports joined SR610 just a little while ago. I'll post the podcast if I remember. :p Read into things for what you will or want or fwiw?!
    ------------------------------------

Hearing Melo may stay in Denver. Any reason to believe that?

I was there when he said that. He is...I dont know. Maybe it is posturing. Maybe smart business. I think it's smart business. You just dont know. Knicks might have gotten cocky. They believe why trade for him now? Maybe Carmelo is putting the Knicks on notice. Problem is, Carmelo attested that there is problems in the Nuggets organization too (with players becoming Free Agents --long list of guys.) What will that team be like? People say he doesn't like Denver, etc. It has everything to do with who will he be playing with. So much uncertainty and he is nervous signing long term there when you dont know who will be there.

Lack of a CBA another uncertainty. What's your guess on his options?

Well, I think he's headed to NY. A lot of posturing going on but everyone I talk to believes he'll end up in NY. There is pressure on NY to make things happen like there was for NJ. They'll have to figure it out and get him there.

He's from there and what not. Does Carmelo consider the track record of James Dolan?

All about New York baby. Those CAA guys want him in a big market. Carmelo wants to be the guy. If James was there, he wouldnt want to go there. If Wade was there, he wouldnt want to go there. He wants to take the NY area by storm. He could take the big apple by storm. Also a Syracuse guy. To me, it's a good fit if he can get there.

Rockets stories include Carmelo. Not sure anyone outside of Houston believes they have a chance to get him.

Never know. If Carmelo comes there or Dallas, its because they offered the Nuggets a package they couldnt refuse and one of those teams would take a chance. His agent has told Dallas/Houston that he wont re-sign there. Risk for them. They would(could?) be getting a disgruntled player. I am confident he doesn't want to go there.

Nene another guy the Rockets are interested in. 2 question: What his Nene's game like and how much better would he make the current Rockets team?

He's pretty good. Covered him for 5 years and as a rookie. Watched him grow now. He doesnt want to leave Denver. His wife is pregnant and from Colorado. Another guy that would probably be upset about being traded there. Whoever gets him, and if he does opt out --he and Kendrick Perkins, Houston would have interest in them, though they'll have competition.

NBA rocked by the news that Sloan has resigned. What are you hearing? A lot of scuttlebut with his players.

It's basically what we reported on Yahoo Sports. We were told there is problems with Williams and Sloan. Sloan likes to be in charge and once that was different, he wasnt comfortable being there. At halftime yesterday, there was a near altercation.

What does this do for Williams? He's the guy who forced out Jerry Sloan.

Could be a problem. Sloan liked all over.

Thanks for dropping by. We'll direct people to the site.

Gotta keep my job baby.

2 people like this.
  2. joesr

joesr Member

I dont know why I read this stuff

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

bad news for houston all around...

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. So Nene would be upset if traded here too? Wow. Im so sick of all the talk and uncertainty, can't wait for the deadline to pass.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nene's wife is pregnant? I guess you only need one.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

NY,LA,Miami,Boston (heck even Atlanta in my opinion) >>> Houston

When it comes to Tier1 / Superstars... Our best bet is a Tier 2 player (ala Granger, Iggy) or draft (but doesn't look good if we get the 13th-18th spot.

I love Houston and believe this is a great city but I'm a from here. These players want the History, Glamor, Night Life, or Weather. Young and Rich can you really blame them?

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

K. Perkins is the guy to go after...if he's available, which I doubt. But a FA at the end of the year.

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

LMFAO I was thinking the same thing hahah

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Then we should wait for the generation that wants to build their own legacy by taking a "less popular" franchise to the glamorous light.

10. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

that dude is hard to listen to

11. delta69er

delta69er Member

Get 'er done Morey

12. Rockets_4_life

Okay neither Nene nor Melo want to come here...

Good, I don't want them here! :eek: ;)

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I didn't take it as if Nene would be upset about coming here, more like leaving Colorado. A nice new long term extension will cure that anxiety VERY quickly.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope not true. These players want to play with other superstars. Also when has Boston been known for Glamour, Night life, and great weather?

Rockets have no superstars and so cannot convince other superstars to play here. Rockets had no problem getting Tracy, and Tracy could have gone any where and chose Houston over Chicago...Difference is Houston had Yao Ming and Chicago had....

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds more like the Battier situation: Pregnant wife, expiring contract, want financial security as well as the ability keep family in the current location. But these guys know how the business works, so my guess is they'll get over it and go play ball.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

Your missing the point are you not? 1st Boston has history.

2nd Yao Ming was a #1 draft pick that led to Tracy Mcgrady.

I believe you are right that superstars (I'm talking Tier 1 level here) want to play with other Superstar or Superstar like players. Yes we do not have that and that is why I just stated why no Tier 1 level will want to play here right off the bat. History, Glamor, Night Life, Weather.... We don't have those traits.

17. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Perkins and Jeff Green must been the targets:

We can pick in the next FA, without given our assest

Lowry / brooks (resing for a decente price)
    Kevin Martin / Courtney Lee
    Green/ Budinger / T Will
    Scola / Patterson / hill
    Perkins / Miller / 2011 first round

I'am sure this is a Playoff team, with a lot of possibilitys to upgrade it.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Here is the thing, The Rockets have way more history than the Hawks or Heat if you ask me.

Also no one wanted to go to the Knicks a year ago, two years ago. Amar'e is the one that goes there first and now all of a sudden everyone wants to go play in New York. Also Miami has 3 of the traits that you mentioned but really...they have been nothing special since they drafted Wade.

You are seriously underrating the 5th most valuable franchise and also one of the largest cities in the USA.

I honestly don't believe players run to these 'Glamourous' cities but more like they run to an opportunity where they can step in on a already good team and make them significantly better.

1 person likes this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

If the agent has actually told the Rockets that he won't resign here, why is Morey still pushing for him? Is Morey stupid?

(...)