1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol may want out of Memphis...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Sounds like he may be done with the Grizzlies after being benched last night. Get it done Murray?!!?

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't interpet his comments that way. Sounded like fiz wanted to ride the hot hand and it backfired.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Keep dreaming. The Rockets don't have the ability to compete with teams like Boston for a chance at him.

Still... if Gasol made demands to only go Houston, maybe there is a way to do a Capela/Gasol swap, but even then I doubt it.

Also (even though Gasol is an incredible player) are we sure he actually makes the Rockets better? Capela is just tailor made for Harden and to a lesser extent CP3, and the shooters on the perimeter. Gasol is great, but he completely alters the team dynamic as he won't be sucking in the defense at the rim on the P&R. Capela is a HUGE part of our offense working.

4. watashi315

watashi315 Member

He can bang on the lowpost but with his outside shooting (which Capela can't do), he can stretch the D. It's a no brainer if we can get him. All-Star player here

5. Nivos

Nivos Member

I think if we will be getting Gasol it won't be instead of Capela but Ryan Anderson, young talent and draft picks. Just a salary thing.
    I love Anderson but would kill for a Gasol + Capela in the lineup.
    Take that San Antonio!

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Smart man. Memphis sucks donkey D @what

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mehh...

Reeko and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Can t*** McGee even catch a hardenp3 lob

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Not that hype about tryna get gasol. We would have to give up a lot to make salaries match.

I think morey will leave it alone.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

How would acquiring him affect our ability to get someone like Paul George in free agency? That’s who we really need.

Marc Gasol would be an upgrade, but his addition wouldn’t excite me nearly as much as adding a star level wing player

Gasol is old and slow

DonKnock, ilovehtownbb and BigMaloe like this.
  11. dobro1229

What are you referring to as "young talent" if Capela is not in the deal? Please don't say Zhou Qi.

Yes, the deal would also include Anderson for salary purposes. Memphis still has Conley locked up and they generally are too good to not try and make the playoffs every year. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to be I'm telling you Capela is the only thing that Memphis would want from Houston to replace Capela, and complement Conley, and if he wasn't in the deal, they'd probably rather just waive him than take back Anderson JUST to move Gasol, and get whatever the Rockets have left (Goat Cheese, and bad draft picks).

arabrocket likes this.
  12. bongman

bongman Member

How many times will we be running plays with him banging in the low post? Remember, that is not the way we play. Last time we played him, he was banging and scored 15. Cappela scored 17 without the need to do the same thing.

13. dobro1229

Gasol would have been great when we had Adelman who ran the corner sets to perfection. D'Antoni is 99% high P&R as his bread and butter.

However late in the season with the Lakers WHEN KOBE WENT DOWN D'Antoni started running corner sets with Pau Gasol and Dwight and the Lakers suddenly looked pretty formidable. So I don't think D'Antoni CANNOT run the corner for Gasol if he wanted to, but the question is if he really should since Harden is clearly out best player.

Nash/Amare high P&R... Harden/Capela high P&R... this is what D'Antoni's offense is and will always be at its best. The big question with Gasol should really be if he's capable of doing exactly what Amare/Capela did for D'Antoni's offense? Can Gasol swith to being a quick decision, dash to the rim in the open lanes during the pick and roll?

I just don't see it guys even though I'd love to get Gasol and him prove me wrong as a formidable P&R big who can take that role and do alot of things with it other than just dunk and finish at the rim.

BigShasta and tmoney1101 like this.
  14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Marc Gasol is intriguing but I'm not so sure he's worth getting at this point, considering what we'd have to give up as well as potential fit/chemistry issues. Unless some amazing deal pops up, I say we stand pat and roll the dice with what we have...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

On one hand, I'm not sure this team can handle getting any less athletic. We're just barely athletic enough as it is, and you can see it in our transition offense/defense. Paul and Harden just happen to be two guys who rely much less on athleticism so it works out. I think it's important our C and future PF can outrun and/or outjump their opponents. Gives us a good advantage.

On the other hand, we would likely become the #1 defensive team in the league. Gasol + Paul + Ariza/Tucker/Moute... are you kidding me? Defense would be top 3 easy. We would also remain dominant in the half court. Gasol can't roll to the basket like Clint, but Clint can't step back and drain 3's. Different game, we would go 5-out.

Gasol is essentially what Bogut was to the Warriors except a way way better version. Offensively, if it worked for them, it could possibly work for our system too.

FLASH21 likes this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Gasol doesn't fit in this offense. He requires one-on-one touches in the paint to be effective.

raining threes likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i doubt he chooses the team that labeled him ManBoobs :D

rimrocker likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

while i agree he may not be an ideal fit this offense, i disagree he needs touches to be effective. hes every bit an actual team player and does what is asked of him to win. he does plenty of things without the ball that make him plenty effective.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Belongs in Dish

arabrocket likes this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Offensively he would definitely be an upgrade, but I am concerned how defensively we would match up with the Warriors with a slow plodder like Gasol.