1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marbury wants to become China tycoon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Aug 18, 2010.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Say what you will about his vaseline eating videos and his checkered NBA career but this seems like a good financial move.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/marbury_wants_to_own_team_in_china_IOjTIWn08vUHHqQVpgYQoK

Stephon Marbury realizes he'll never be allowed to play for Team China, which competed at the Garden this weekend in World Championship tune-up games. China's national-team guidelines are pretty strict, despite Marbury's three-year commitment to play professionally there.

But Marbury's got a bigger goal: to one day own a team in the Chinese Basketball Association.

Marbury, the former Lincoln superstar out of Coney Island, is all-in on his investment in China, citing the 350 million people who play basketball there and the country last week leaping past Japan as the world's second-biggest economy.

"The NBA has deals to build arenas in China,'' Marbury told The Post. "It just takes time. Owning and investing there, how can I go wrong business-wise?''

Marbury signed a three-year deal to play again for Shanxi that includes a coaching stint starting next season. The most important part of the deal is his club will finance the opening of three Starbury stores in the city.

"It's all Starbury stuff. Like you go to a Nike store, it's going to be Starbury,'' said Marbury, who has his logo tattooed to his head. "In Year Five, my goal is to have 150 stores.''

Marbury is still trying to end his basketball career with dignity, though he has no interest in an NBA return.

"How it ended with me playing in the NBA is the way it was supposed to end,'' said Marbury, who last played with the Celtics in the 2009 playoffs. "It's time to write another chapter. I'm in a different place. This is a way deeper project. It's bigger than basketball.''

He is putting 10 percent of his contract toward helping basketball schools for boys and girls. It's a charitable move and sound business, investing in the grass roots. The bigger basketball becomes in China, the more apparel Marbury can sell.

Team USA's Chauncey Billups, one of Marbury's best friends in the NBA, said over the weekend after practicing at the Knicks facility, “Steph has always kind of been ahead of the curve as far as business and always being innovative with little things that he tries to do. So I’m sure that whatever he’s doing over there in China, it’s gonna work out big for him.”

Marbury is training again in Los Angeles, running the Hollywood Hills, getting ready for the Chinese season that begins in December.

Billups said he would rather see Marbury in the NBA.

“Steph is Steph, man,” Billups said. “Y’all know Steph. He kind of toots to his tune, man, and that’s just kind of been him since high school. Really I’m just happy that he’s playing basketball again. I wish he was playing in the NBA. I feel like he’s still an NBA player.”

2. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

With so many NBA players spoiling away their millions it's nice to hear that Starbury is investing wisely. His grandchildren will be able to live off the money he makes from those wise financial decisions unlike say Antonie Walker's grandchildren.

3. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

Really? Steph? Really? The guy that broke Yao's ankle in his rookie season? I thought he was hated over there. ;) It's cool. Good for him.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so i was curious and checked out the starbury website. Little did I know that he does all of the male modeling for his line. :grin:

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not his fault Yao is so slow and clumsy. That is happens when a traditional big man tries to guard a PG with arguably the best handles the NBA has ever seen.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Marbury has always done great stuff with his money off the court. For all the wacky stuff he is known for, he does more for others with his money than some of the better known guys in the NBA.

7. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

was just messing around. YM shouldn't even attempted to defend guards. :)

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a good idea as long as he's got good people who know what they're doing over there. Dealing internationally and specifically in China has its own set of risks. It could turn out well; he could also lose his shirt. I hope he has good luck.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Glad Marbs is finding something to do with his life. When he couldn't get any calls to play in the NBA and was sitting at home all day he was seriously cuckoo (eating vaseline, being on ustream for like 24 hours straight)

10. StanleyHartwell

Dude is huge in China now. People love him. He acts humbly, always looking to involve teammates on the court, & donates money to local charity

Funny how he turns from villain to hero when he goes to china. Judging from what he's done there, you'd think he's a smart and savvy guy, then you remember the antics last summer...

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I met him and Boris Diaw in a cafe in Paris once, he was a really nice guy. And this was during the height of his NBA shenanigans.

12. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Really smart business decision on his part.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Oh, the crazy.

14. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

well he can sign mcgrady, the official ambassador to china.