1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Map] Which NBA team does your town root for?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Haymitch, May 13, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Go here for the interactive, detailed version of the map.

12% of NBA fans in Harris county are Lakers fans :mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lakers are still relevant?

Of course.

(-.-)

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

where the **** are the clippers?

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Awesome find.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Maybe the media is justified in ignoring the Rockets. Houston is the 3rd most popular team in its own STATE.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pretty cool. I wish they charted the Supersonics too

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's a logical statement here:

If two teams are equal distances from my location OR if both teams are more than a short distance away, bandwagon the team that has won more historically.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Houston teams don't have a very big footprint.

Astros: North to Trinity, East to Lake Charles, South to Galveston, West to Columbus & Hallettsville, Southwest to Victoria.

Rockets: North to Huntsville, barely East to Beaumont/Port Arthur, South to Galveston, West to Columbus, Southwest to El Campo, Bay City, and Palacios.

9. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

I don't know the methodology, but it seems the Bulls are more popular in LA county than the Clippers

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not surprised. The Clippers have been a trash franchise until recently.

I am actually surprised that the Rockets have such a small reach.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Winning a whole bunch gives you a bigger footprint..something none of our teams have done lately.

I promise you, before 2010 the Rangers footprint was nowhere near that extensive. Not even close. Austin and San Antonio were Astros territory...throw in 5 years of the best years in Rangers franchise history mixed at the exact same time of 5 years of the worst years in Astros franchise history, and you get a map like the one you're seeing there.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That Rangers Astros map looked so different five years ago. So did the Rockets vs Mavs before they won the championship. All Houston teams need is some success and the bandwagon in the rural areas will be back.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

No wonder some people think the Houston economy will crash if Jeremy Lin is traded.

14. logggur

logggur Member

It would be really cool to see how it's changed over the lifetime of the NBA.

15. dragician

dragician Member

Where's red China map?

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Them poor Nyets.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Code:
    Team	Number of Counties
    LAL	3268
    MIA	2486
    CHI	1410
    BOS	1275
    DAL	204
    OKC	193
    TOR	186
    SAS	163
    DEN	123
    MIN	122
    IND	87
    NYK	83
    DET	82
    CLE	72
    MIL	63
    UTA	59
    ATL	50
    POR	48
    NOP	45
    HOU	37
    MEM	34
    GSW	29
    SAC	28
    WAS	23
    PHO	21
    PHI	21
    ORL	18
    CHA	18
    BRK	5
    LAC	3

I parsed all the data and found the number of counties where the team is ranked in the top 3. I guess the clippers have sucked forever and Brooklyn has usually been second fiddle to the NYK.

1 person likes this.
  18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

There's actually a sector of North Los Angeles County, the suburban cities of Lancaster and Palmdale to be exact that are DEEPLY loyal to the Clippers ... for whatever reason IDK :confused:.

I guess it's the same with the N.Y. Mets, hardly anyone is a fan, but it's such a large market city that even a die-hard fringe can support a pro-sports franchise.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have TV/radio advertising and team sponsorship numbers on teams in Houston & Dallas (because I buy advertising) and what the Rangers have done in the past few years is truly amazing. They dominate radio. Y'all would be surprised who the 10 fastest growing fan bases are according to the latest ad data I have. The Thunders and Clippers are tops in the NBA. Somehow the Hawks are in the top 5! There's a hockey team in the top 3...

20. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Loooking at that NBA map, of all the open pockets of space with slight fan interest and outside of the regions that have low populations and not counting places where I believe current teams such as the Grizzles, Hawks, Hornets, Wizards, 76ers and Cavaliers can extend their reach, there are two areas that are screaming for an NBA franchise.

The first and loudest one is Seattle. They had a franchise and a successful one only to lose it to OKC when they couldn't get a new arena. There are passionate fans up their and they certainty have the population on their own and a massive one when you factor in Vancouver being less than 200 miles away. The other is St.Louis. That is another area that has a large enough population and their reach based on their location also reaches into parts of Illinois. Also provides a good opportunity to give Memphis a good rival as they are not too far from one another.

Now they could look into expanding into 32 teams and do it NFL style with 4 divisons of 4 teams, but if they were to stay at 30, logical relocations would include.

Orlando: Looking at the map Miami has a real stronghold over not only most of Florida, but a good amount of the southeast. Does Orlando really need their own franchise?

Milwaukee: There reach isn't that great and with Chicago only an hour away do they need their own team?

Sacramento: Not going to happen, but much like Milwaukee, with Golden State already having a team and their distance not too great does Sacramento need their squad?