1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Mannix} Rockets interested in Ty Lawson despite DUI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 17, 2015.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The doc may well be absolutely correct. However, what other effects were within TJo? How much mental fatigue must he have been having to fight? The lung may have been medically aces, but what else was not?

I don't know. I do believe that it had to be an overwhelming challenge to spend last season ala Jones.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Oh don't worry about that. From now on it's perfectly normal to pay 6 per in your backup and even more.

3. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

lol, yeah I'm a diehard Rockets fan, live in NY, so I have to get the League Pass, same as NFL Ticket. Those are my two teams I follow religiously, Rockets and 49ers.

Bima's awesome, I just get confused on cap holds, and how the NBA cap has the first cap(70M this coming season), and then hard cap(like 80M or something this year).

I got down on Kap too, hopefully he plays better in 2015, they need a spark on offense badly.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more. Lawson is better coming off the bench because his game does not complement Harden's. Never mind the money, drug dependency issues and/or the potential to lose this player with another strike, Lawson is just not the best fit on our 1st unit.

If we want to go after a Nugget, then sign Darrell Arthur. He is a PF that 3 point range, has a back to basket & mid range game like the coveted LA, and has the athleticism and desire to run which is crucial to Rockets offense.

And Morey should love him because he is just under 6'9.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He posted a good line vs a poor Sacto defense and again vs a good Spurs defense. Then you're comparing playoff stats to regular season production, where the personnel and game have totally changed.

The bruised ribs can limit mobility - as I said in that post. The lung injury itself is transient and immaterial in this equation. So if you wanna say his mobility was limited because he was sore and his conditioning suffered due to the missed time, that's plausible. But in the playoffs he was forced into a half court game which isn't his forte. I saw nothing to suggest that his torso mobility was limited and quite frankly his conditioning looked fine in the limited minted he played. You're connecting two disparate events with a line and assuming causation so forgive me if I doubt your logic. His drop off could be explained by a multitude of things.

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

1) he didn't puncture a lung. You can read my post about the difference between blunt and puncture pneumothorax if you really want to understand instead of pretending to be expert

2) I've taken care of dozens of people who go on to playing sports after such an injury within 1-2 weeks depending on the nature of injury without any ill effects. Again, the key is the musculoskeletal trauma, not the pneumothorax itself. "Collapsed lung" makes a great headline but it's misleading.

3) assuming you know a thing about my capability for empathy is laughable. There's a difference between feeling bad for someone who got hurt and not ascribing poor play to a minor injury.

1 person likes this.
  7. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

It's kind of hard to say that his game doesn't compliment Hardens' without seeing them ever play a single minute together.

I think his game could potentially compliment Hardens pretty good. Defenses couldn't do that crap where they shade an extra defender behind Harden. Lawson would have 3 on 2 on the other side of the floor all day. That's too much space for a player like him. Our offense would be literally unstoppable with a point guard like that. Turnovers are a huge issue with this team and Lawson would immediately improve that area. Not to mention he's an amazing fast break player.

1 person likes this.
  8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This this this.

Lawson's certainly a more natural complement to Harden's game than Westbrook ever was, and those two made it work when they shared the floor. I actually think it would be valuable to get Harden playing off the ball more, allow him to expand his game and become a more effective catch-and-shoot wing for those nights when the refs aren't blowing the whistle.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People are just looking for excuses because they haven't yet figured out why Jones' production is so inconsistent. He's an athletic hustle player and that's where he gets the bulk of his numbers. There's a possibility that all of the injuries had him playing more reserved, trying to not get hurt again and an athletic hustle player can't play like that and be any good at all.

10. malakas

malakas Member

When they said collapsed lung I didn't realise it was a simple pneumothorax.
    However many players get rusty esp after repeated injuries that kept them out for a big part of the season.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Could be any of a myriad of things - man I post one little line and all the "experts" come knocking down my door! I actually happen to be a lung doc - only reason I bothered to say anything - but I'm not pretending to be a Rockets insider (that's not a jab at you Batman I was actually excited to hear what you had to say in that cyberx thread), a medical insider, an orthopedic expert etc... But this just happens to be an area that I am expert at and literally devote my life to.

That's all I gotta say about that cuz as I recall this thread is about Ty

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Collapsed lung/pneumothorax are interchangeable, one just generates more clicks than the other

13. malakas

malakas Member

thanx bulkatron. I'm a vet student so I kwow a little about pneumothorax though of course no comparison to you. I just didn't realise that the english term is collapsed lung.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

No prob! It's not 100% interchangeable but in this case it generally is.

Good luck with school :)

2 people like this.
  15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Ty Lawson is my 1A.
    Ricky Rubio is my 1B.

I have faith in the Morey to make a move that will make us better before the season starts.

1 person likes this.
  16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You are trying to discredit those 5 games prior to the punctured / collapsed lung because you somehow think those were easy games? You put a qualifier on the LAC game as "Blake's" return game to discredit that effort as well?

What about the 6 games prior that included Memphis, Cleveland, Atlanta and LAC? He was outstanding in those games as well. Why are you ignoring those? I included every game he started once he came back from the nerve injury and prior to the lung injury in my stats.

He had more than just a collapsed lung, it was also punctured. He was never the same after that. You are free to come up with your on reason as to why he never returned to form after the lung injury but you can't deny he never returned to his pre lung injury form.

17. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Jeremy Lin agrees.....

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This is all new info from an educated source. I appreciate it. I still think causation is correlation in this case because he just wasn't the same guy. And he spoke in interviews when he came back saying he knew he was rushing his return but that he'd been out so long with the nerve thing he had to get back out there. Then D-Mo went down and he really had to get back out there. But you've provided the only reasonable counterpoint to my thoughts on his playoff performance and I gotta respect your expertise. Good posts. Thanks for hanging in there to explain.

1 person likes this.
  19. sabesque

sabesque Member

First of all - I have to admit, I didn't see the full perspective that you were putting forward, so I was (obliviously/ignorantly) reacting without the proper context. So I'll definitely admit to "pretending to be an expert" and knowing nothing about your (or anyone's) capacity for empathy.

There are just a lot of folks on here (not you) who have written TJ off based on how he looked coming back from the second injury - "He sucked in the playoffs because he sucks" - and I just don't think that is the right way to look at TJ.

TJ had a crazy year of injuries. And I would be shocked if that didn't affect him from multiple perspectives, especially having seen how TJ is still figuring out how to play without being in his own head so much.

Consistency, rhythm, and confidence are directly affected by not being on the court. Physiologically the injuries had to affect his intensity. All prevented us from seeing how much TJ could have potentially contributed.

Another thing you are right about - this is a lawson thread, so I'll stop derailing.

2 people like this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love how this site will derail any and every thread. But while we're talking about it, I'm excited about our PF situation for next year. I wanted Josh Smith because he brings things to the table that weren't available anywhere else, but now that we've lost him I still think the position is fine. We're 3 deep at PF.

Think about this:

Both DMo and Jones are in the last year of their contracts. This means they're fighting to get paid, which means they'll play with a lot of focus and effort and they're directly competing with each other. Also, a young guy like Montrezl is going to have to work extra hard to ever see the court when 2 promising guys fighting for contracts are ahead of him. All three are healthy and have the summer off (minus summer league for Harrell).

So, why did this thread get derailed? We need a second point guard. Bad. But, we don't have to get him in the offseason to be competitive though.