1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning interested in Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

It is so funny seeing the comments on here. Questioning Manning abiliy to win a Super Bowl, really? When Schaub hasn't made it to the playoffs.

Yeah i know, the team was 7-3 when he went out, but he wasn't there. Just as the same with the TMac situation. He still hasn't won a playoff series cause he was hurt, and the arguemet could be made that we would have beat the Lakers if he wasn't. But he wasn't there for the playoff series win, as Schaub was not there for the playoff games.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

though the rest of your long-winded yapping didn't contain one single coherent, pertinent point in regard to the argument at hand, i will respond to this, since it is equally completely off-topic from said argument:

this isn't a situation where they can wait and see whether schaub can get us over the hump. peyton manning is a free agent right now, and never will be again. they don't have the luxury of playing out a season or two, seeing if schaub can get us a ring, then signing peyton manning if he doesn't. they (miraculously) by all accounts do have the option of betting on either peyton manning or matt schaub right now. and they are betting on matt schaub. without doing a drop of due diligence. and it amazes me that anybody could agree with that decision.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What does Schaub's playoff experience have to do with Manning's? Manning is 9-10 in the postseason with seven one-and-done appearances. I think you can very legitimately question his ability to win a Super Bowl considering how often he doesn't, you know, win Super Bowls.

Honestly, even if we could somehow scientifically prove that Matt Schaub would be a playoff-choking choker who chokes - how far removed is Manning, who has exactly one more Super Bowl championship than Schaub, despite 11 more chances?

"Yeah, I know the team was on an 11-win pace with Schaub - but when he went out, I'll just say something non-sensical and hopefully it'll distract people from the fact I don't actually have a way to deliver any even remotely plausible point here...."

Despite how poor a comparison it is to Schaub, I'm glad you brought up Tmac because I actually think he's a pretty decent comparison to Manning.

Now, obviously, Tmac is no longer elite - but let's pretend he is - would you argue he was a championship difference maker? All that postseason failure...... would you wager he would be the missing piece on a team that might not be missing a piece? Or would you just scream that he was better than Kevin Martin and his zero playoff experience?

Better or not, Peyton Manning's track record is postseason failure. I'm at a loss how he makes us more viable contenders given that inescapable fact.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No, but he's already under contract and we don't have to remake the offense for him, and also don't have to sacrifice other free agents for him. There's no question that we would have been in much better shape in the Baltimore game with Schaub rather than Yates.

Hell, if we're to believe that we are only $660k under the cap, we'd have to cut several more players just to even make an offer to Peyton that wouldn't be laughed at.

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

6. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree. There is really no need to try and prove a point to these guys. They are really blinded with this Schaub thing.

All we are asking is to at least entertain the idea. But to just say no is just idiotic. We didn't say to just sign him no matter what. As you said, do your diligence and bring him in for a workout, and if he refuses then don't sign him.

A hurt Manning is better than a hurt Schaub. And a healthy Manning is a HOF QB, while a healthy Schaub is a good QB at best. All I can say is Manning has a better chance of finishing a season than Schaub does. Statistics...

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I'll be surprised if Manning can even play 16 games.

8. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

When he makes the playoff then talk to me. Don't forget a couple of years back we thought we were headed to the playoffs only to choke.

I was making the point that Schaub can't even make it to the playoffs, as TMac could not get out of the first round. That's the comparison.

If you don't think Manning would have made the Colts a playoff team or even a 9 win team, then you are crazy. Don't forget they were in a lot of games, just couldn't score points. With our D, and running game you saying he wouldn't take us to the Superbowl, but Schaub can, give me a break.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

I think you can very legitimately question Schaub's ability to make the playoffs considering how often he doesn't, you know, make the playoffs.

texans should sign manning and coax brad johnson or trent dilfer out of retirement. let peyton lead them to the playoffs, let t.j. yates get them out of round one, let peyton finish off the conference championship, and let johnson or dilfer bring home the title.

that would be a surefire path to lombardi for an angry, condescending, smartass, buffoon like yourself, wouldn't it?

10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

This is pretty funny. Except for the name calling, but somtimes they need it. :grin:

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

the only name called was "buffoon".

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

and i think that's pretty harmless.

13. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I wasn't getting on you, cause it is pretty harmless compared to some of the stuff I see. I just refrain from doing it.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hey Now, you've conviced me Matt Schaub is better than a HOF/One of the best QB's of all time.

Pay Schaub whatever he wants this offseason...hell pay him NAO!!!

what a joke.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(scratches head… wonders how Peyton Manning’s playoff record isn’t coherent or pertinent in a discussion about Peyton Manning’s ability to win in the playoffs… figures cardpire is drunk, moves on to his next inane point….)

First and foremost, you have no idea what diligence, due or otherwise, they’re engaged in – so please stop pretending that you do and using it as the basis for getting upset. You were probably among the chorus jumping up and down last year that they'll never sign free agents before free agency opened.

Secondly, why are you so convinced Matt Schaub can’t get us over the hump and so equally convinced that Peyton Manning can? We no track record with Schaub; but a lengthy and rather flaccid one for Manning. Why do continue to ignore this?

Lastly, this is a wildly different take than the hyperbolic bluster you normally offer. Kicking the tires on Peyton Manning is a world away from guaranteeing a Super Bowl appearance if they sign Peyton Manning, which is what you’ve done repeatedly throughout this thread. If they can give Manning a test drive without disrupting their relationship with Schaub, I think most of us would be OK with that.

I just continue to struggle with how we’ve arrived at a conclusion that defies reality. Manning is universally considered a playoff underachiever. His record is terrible (68% winning % in regular season; 47 in postseason), his numbers worse (94.9 regular season QBR; 88.4 postseason; worse TD/INT ratio, etc)… I get that the unknown brings with it uncertainty. But the known… is not very good. Do you realize Manning was 0-3 in his first 3 playoff games and 3-6 in his first 9? And we can’t even give Schaub a start before we write him off? I think Schaub is more than capable of going 3-6!

Anyway, my point remains: Manning's career is marked by playoff failure.

16. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

Sign Manning, trade Schaub for high 1st round pick (Miami maybe), draft best OL available in place of Winston, Myers, or whoever else leaves on the OL.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

This isn't Madden.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

hush, hush, child. we know that you think matt schaub is a better qb than peyton manning. you don't have to keep telling us. go back to kicking puppies or whatever you usually do to unleash your pent up anger.

19. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

WOW, just WOW.

Does regular season record failure count as a disappointment? Or do we just overlook that Schaub hasn't made it to the playoffs. What is he 0-5 or 0-6 something like that. I would rather make it to the playoffs 9 times and go to 2 superbowls and win 1, then to not make it at all.

20. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

couldn't have put it any better myself...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.