1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manifest destiny and more

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by The Voice of Reason, Sep 24, 2003.

1. The Voice of Reason

I was pondering as I often do when I should be productive. Is merica done growing? I know we are currently occupying Iraq, and I do not see this as becoming part of America, but do you see any other areas/places becoming part of american in say the next 50 years.
    I know Puerto Rico may become a sate some day. I suppose Guam could too, but what about parts of Canada? what about a North American Union?

If another major war came about I am sure we could gain territory as we did after WWII, but I was wondering. what do we have in store for the future. 51 stars on the flag? 60 100??

any thoughts on Americas maximum influence, or are we there now?

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I personally believe America is pretty much done growing unless PR or Guam apply to become states. We couldn't absorb Canada as their views on things like nationalized healthcare and welfare don't mesh at all with the "no taxes" fires being fanned by conservatives. If we took them over, it would have to be in a military action, one which the world would view as very Saddam like. Mexico is the source for so much cheap labor for so many companies that the corporations would lobby against and kill any measure that could raise wages there, as becoming part of the US would. Unless we see a massive return to imperialism, America's borders are set.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Our borders are pretty much finished (why would we need to 'grow' anyway?), but think global corporations, culture, sphere of influence, free trade agreements, and even entities like the EU.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Sovereignty as we know it is on the way out. As globalization becomes more pronounced the viability of actual borders becomes more and more deminished. Eventually you'll see Canada, Mexico, and the US merge under a federated government. And that will probably only be the beginning. There will not be any military expansion as economic interdependence takes the place of military conquest.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Physical expansion may be over, but I'd be interested in seeing what economic expansion looks like in about 50 years.

** EDIT ** : err... yeah, what HayesStreet said. :)

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Correct if I'm wrong, which is a DESTINCT possibility, but didn't the US consider making the Phillipines a state rather than a colonia holding?

7. The Voice of Reason

If you are really interested, there is actually a roleplaying game based on this. look it up just for the interesting read. there is alot of thought put into what the world will be like in 50 years. oh and there is some BS mumbo jumbo crap too, but whatever.
    its called "Shadowrun"
    http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/
    I dont know what this link is all about but i did a quick search. not really sure what the game is alll about either, but when i read about it, the details about corporate america are interesting.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'd be happy if our leaders grew up.