1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man wins $50,000 on Tom Brady’s safety

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pugsly8422, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Anyone else think the odds should have been more like 200-1? In the regular season, there were 1249 touchdowns, 838 Field Goals, and only 21 safeties. Keep in mind he also picked who would get the safety.

You have to think MGM was happy to keep all of those other tickets that predicted touchdowns and field goals, and only pay a few (if even that many) tickets for a Giants safety as the first score of the game.

[​IMG]

Link

A safety is a rare play in any game, but for it to happen in the Super Bowl as the first score of the game? No one would expect that to happen. No one would lay a bet on something so unlikely, right?

Wrong. Jona Rechnitz bet $1,000 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas that the first score of the game would be a Giants safety. With 50-to-1 odds on such an unlikely score, Rechnitz is walking away from Las Vegas with a $50,000 pay day.

The safety came when New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was flagged for intentional grounding from his own end zone, giving the New York Giants two points. Brady's lapse in judgment started the game off on the wrong foot for New England, and gave Rechnitz a cool $50K. Do you think he'll send Brady a thank you note?

Pugs

2. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I wish I had a thousand dollars to blow for gimmick bets like these....

3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

If he's willing bet $1,000 on that then I'm sure he barely broke even over the weekend

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, how on earth could that be only 50-1? should be 200-1 for either team to get it, even more than that for specific team.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

200:1? Really. Odds are about 100:1 for a safety to be first score based on OP's stats. So...sucker bet, but no way Vegas gives the player the good side of a bet.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/06/giants-jona-rechnitz-donating-winnings-charity/

He's giving his winnings to charity.
    I read somewhere he was staying at the SkyLofts. Yeah, the last time I was in Vegas I got to see the Sky Lofts, for the people who stay there $50K is chump change.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Vegas makes a ton of money on dumb prop bets. They had Pats as a favorite, majority of money comes in on Giants, Vegas still made money because of prop bets.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's some good mojo right there. Good on him for having the stones to do it. Makes the story even cooler that he's donating it all to charity.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

We all have the stones to do it, just not the money. ;)

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Prop bets = free money for the books. Ditto any 3-wager parlay.

11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I lost my 1,000 dollar super bowl bet. If Madonna had worn fish net stockings, I would have been a rich man.