1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man, I'm getting old

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 29, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

People have been doing TD celebration dances since at least Ickey Woods, so 25+ years. Just how old are you??

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To my many 40-something representin' brehs,
    1. Yep. You can understand now why the lifespan of humans was about 40 years for a few thousand years until 1900. We are designed to live that long. We are literally outliving our specs.
    2. Not to get all Cali on y'all, but super reduction in calories + yoga (flow or ashtanga, real freaking 90-minute workouts) have mitigated these middle age things for me. ... Except the ear and nose hair, of course.
    3. This picture was taken before I started #2.

Shroopy2 and gifford1967 like this.
  4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I feel old when adults are too young to get my joke references. Know what I mean, Vern?

CometsWin likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My hair is beginning to thin, and I'm banking on the science to help that facial hair migrate back up.

That or crack open a tub full of stem cell babies to slather over my soon to be shiny scalp.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The average lifespan was that long because of really high infant mortality rates and children dying from diseases they don't die from today. Once you got out of childhood, you could expect to live a long time. You think 40-year-olds were dropping like flies 150 years ago? You had to be 35 to be eligible to become President 200 years ago.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's a scientific fact that all the hair you lose from your hairline goes straight to your back and ears. I think they tried to burn Galileo at the stake for writing about it.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wait a second...

Your telling me these kids where actually outside par-taking in physical activity with real friends and NOT on their phones watching minecraft videos on youtube?

I don't believe you.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Also we are getting old.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. The average lifespan, in say 1850 in Europe, was what it was not just due to infant mortality and whooping cough, by a long shot. Women died routinely in childbirth. Normal flesh wounds resulted in major, deadly infections. TB was a death sentence for an adult, and so on and on and on and on. Lots of treatable injuries ended in convalescence and death. But this wasn't even my point.

2. No. I don't think that. Because I have a pretty solid understanding of statistics. Lifespan isn't like Logan's Run, where you expire at a certain date. (Actually, the working ecosystem of Silicon Valley is a lot like Logan's Run, now that I think about it. People basically expire around 30, ascend into the sky and explode over East Palo Alto.)

3. Okay. That would be relevant to my point if humans came into their modern evolved form 200 years ago in US America. LOL. I'm talking about north Africa like 20,000 years ago. I'm talking about why animals have different basic setting for the span of time (on *average*) that they're biologically relevant. I'm talking about, for example, a human has an average lifespan that's very similar to that of a bat in the wild, even though the bat is genetically almost identical to a little mouse, which has only 1/10th the lifespan of the bat. These things are fine-tuned by evolution, and in the opinion of the field (not my opinion), humans aren't really biologically relevant at age 70. 20,000 years ago, there were a few 70 year old humans, but not very many. Now we'll have billions b/c we control our environment. It's nothing like our origin time. (Which is fine. There's no judgment here. It's just interesting, or it's interesting to some people.)

I wasn't trying to make a radical or argumentative post. It's just kind of basically accepted for people who study human evolution.

If you're interested, I *really* recommend starting here: an excellent and readable book for all, by a real genius of the subject.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I had a garden hose to drink out of when I played outside.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought 40 years old is the life span in the dark ages. i learned yesterday in biology class that humans were designed to live for like 200 years, but the environment and chemicals we put in ourselves cut it to 60-80 years now.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your biology class's professor is full of **** if they think the human body doesn't live to 200 because of the environment and chemicals.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, at 48 I feel like I'm consuming about half the calories I did in my 20s. But this and playing Ultimate a couple of times a week seems to be keeping me spry.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only place in the books people lived for 200 years is the bible.

Paleodiets are no joke.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm 31 here. Been on Clutchfans since 22. It's another great social experiment just like facebook. FattyFatBastard retired and even Jontro got married! One day I might even finish training and make a living wage.

If I had to guess, 25 is around the time I realized I couldn't eat anything anymore and still look the way I wanted to. By age 30 I realized that 90% of metabolism and maintaining a healthy weight is diet. Everything gets flipped around it's head if your goal is not just to be an above average healthy person (body fat % <18-20 or so, I've been probably 15% for the past decade). That is, if you're trying to get into the <10% body fat range with a really muscular physique, THEN working out with high intensity high resistance exercises is the way to go. But without that good diet as a foundation, you're grounded from the get go.

Even from my dad I've heard about how age 40 is when your metabolism starts to decline. Probably gotta quit alcohol and all processed carbs by then if you want to keep the same shape you had when you were 30. I've other seen people maintain a good shape past age 60 by just eating right and doing the standard 8-min mile 5k three times a week, so that's where I hope to be by then. It'll be something, to see half of Clutchfans as geriatrics in 30 years!.

Jontro likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah I've had the opinion humans are dying from "rising CANCER go AWAY!" just because we're past dying from germ maladies, hostile environments and heart disease to enable us to GET to the privilige of dying of cancer. Gotta die of SOMETHING, right.

And that humans evolved to survive foraging for food in wilderness type habitats that can put you away quick. Not in industrialized controlled environment. So we're AHEAD of our development. (Once read a Wiki where some small undeveloped country STILL has life expectancy around 40, that's crazy! But indictive of how it normally was for everyone once) ANYWAY.....
    Since I lived in Cali many years, suggestion isnt too out of place :D

I've recently FOR SURE (and for good) waaaaay cut down on eating and portions. Despite really loving junk food, it just doesnt make sense to put more into the system than what it can handle, and I'm staying with that. If my body can process just 8 portions in a day besides 12, just go with 8 then, or 6 to trim down. (Or less than that for the restricted calory intake for elongated survival, but I'll just take a decent eating 65-71 years and be done with it lol)

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm 29 and feel like my metabolism has slowed way down.

Starting to get back into lifting and cardio more in the last couple years, and I plan to stick with that as long as I can.

20. Nero

Nero Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1tsGGz-Qw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>