1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Making an assumption, what about PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HAYJON02, May 11, 2004.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Assuming Steve's time is done in Houston, and I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him bc couldn't find a great deal, what do we do about our PG spot? We're probably not trading Steve for another PG, so do we:

1) Sign a guy like Barry? Could he even handle that?
    2) Try and aquire a draft pick and get a good project (Livingston, Harris, Gordon, Nelson, Telfair, Vujacic, Duhon, etc.) back up someone like Payton? There's plenty of PGs in the draft because of Europeans and the record number of high schoolers. We could pull a Tony Parker. You never know with foreign talent now.
    www.nbadraft.net
    3) What are our free agent options?

We've only got Mark Jackson and Mike Wilkes to work with.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Livingston

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We would have to pull off a nice deal to get that. But then again if Washington did pull the 3rd pick where Livingston is slated to go, i am sure Francis might like playing in DC where he is from.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

will he be there in the second round?

Rocket River

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Shaun Livingston should be a top 10 pick

6. HAYJON02

There's a good chance we would still have Mobley so he's good bait for a 1st round pick/change. We could see how high of a pick we could turn him into, or take a mid 1st or lower and an additional player.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Just play Jim Jackson at the point. Trade Steve for Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Troy Murphy.

Jackson/Jackson
    Mobley/Piatkowski
    Dunleavy/Nachbar/Griffin
    Murphy/Taylor/Weatherspoon/Padgett
    Yao/Cato

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Jackson is not that great of a ball handler i think when people put pressure on him he is going to have a problem.

Not only that he doesn't really penetrate to draw the defense on him so he can dish it out. We need a True PG not another person trying to play point from another position.

9. HAYJON02

I agree. Yao will be better and if we get hmm Tracy McGrady? Like we'll have to worry about who's PG. If we got a project like a Livingston who will be good in a couple years we could very well sign Gary Payton and just be very good. It's beautiful.

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to mess with GP after what he's shown in the playoffs. I think he will ask for too much

11. HAYJON02

Nah, he's already shown that he's down with a winning scenerio for little money. In houston we don't play that newfangled triangle so he'd be fine. He's still got some game left.

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Barry's nice, but his main appeal to me is as a complement to Steve. If Steve's gone, I don't know if I'd be willing to pay him the MLE for four years. Heck, I don't know I'm willing to do that even with Steve here.

I still like Harris in the draft. However, I don't think any of the point guards are a sure thing, so I hope we trade for Duhon. Getting him is more feasible and less of a gamble.

If nothing else, I'd like us to pick up Charlie Ward. Despite the fact he hasn't gotten off the pine in San Antonio, I believe he'd do alright for us. He's played under JVG and with a dominant big man in Ewing for years; adjusting to the team would probably be a snap.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hinrich(sp?) would be perfect. Too bad the Bulls don't have any other desirable players...

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Too bad Bulls aren't shopping him.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I want Barry no matter what, but I agree that his main appeal would be to complement SF. I think Barry's game would work well with SFs, kinda like a Mobley with more smarts and much better passing.

I really felt that the Rockets really lost out on Ward. He really could have given SF some much needed rest down the stretch of the season and he would fit right in the system. I'm still pissed that we had Mark Jackson giving SF 3 minutes of rest a game, when we could have had Ward, especially what Les's reasons were.

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that while Les may not have been crazy about Ward, that it was ultimately Charlie who turned us down to sign with San Antonio rather than Les who turned him down.

Realistically, I don't think Charlie would have been the difference maker for us in the playoffs anyway. He would definitely have been an improvement over Jackson, but probably wouldn't have impacted the end result.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Relativist, I agree that Ward would not have been a difference maker even if he chose us over the Spurs but I think Duhon although a safe pick won't be able to make a difference either.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A Brent Barry / Cuttino Mobley backcourt would be one of the worst, and perhaps the least talented, backcourt in the NBA.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

How about Brent and T-mac backcourt? Much better appeal than Brent and Steve.

And to the guy that mentioned Brent and Cuttion, how the hell would that end up as our starting backcourt?

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Cuttino*