1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major Props to Steve Kerr

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lyrix, May 2, 2005.

1. lyrix

lyrix Member

He has the balls to call out referrees and showed at least three wrong calls against Rockets in a slow motion in national TV.

If it were not for him, I didn't even know the rule that you cannot go out of the bound and touch the ball.

No matter what say about him, he's a brave man.

2. Man

Man Contributing Member

I thought his little thing with Kenny "The Jet" Smith was stupid..but STeve Kerr is a good commentator I really like him..he's not just a former NBA player...he is a brave man! ;)

Wow so many threads

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

wow, are sure it wasnt the Spurs game?

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

He may be brave but I got more than a little tired of hearing how much quicker Dallas is. He's still a Spurs homer and he's only stating the obvious.

5. brooksstephens

everything they say seems stupid when we're losing

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

kerr sucks

7. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Dallas is much faster than us, that is a truth. You can't foul him for saying that.

And the Spurs are the best (managed) team in the NBA. And he is a former Spur, so give him some break there.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

f*ck Steve Kerr.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Is this some sort of sick joke? Apparently you have forgotten Kerr's "Noooooo" when McGrady performed McMiracle. Get your head screwed on straight. The Rockets were flat out robbed and Kerr enjoyed it.

I guess the other alternative is you're a closet Spurs fan yourself.

10. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

I'm with ya man, f*ck all these motherf*ckas, I'm pissed the f*ck off!!

11. leehoang

leehoang Member

Don't ever give props to Steve Kerr... this man is in love with the Spurs.

12. famicom

famicom Member

You won't love him if he ever commentates a spurs series with us.

13. rocketsmetalspd

F@#$ Steve Kerr and Kenny "I never knew he was nicknamed the JET" Smith.:D

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

So what he rooted for the Spurs. That is his team. Aren't we all supposed to root for our own teams? He didn't hesitate to lavish praises for Tmac afterwards.

I am not a fan of the Spurs. But I admire how they manage their team so efficiently. Best team in the league with an average payroll.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

As a human with ethics(i.e. not Cuban), you gotta say something on those thing as commentator. What Kerr did was just pointing out obvious.

16. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Steve Kerr is a little b****. Any guy unwilling to respect another role player (Kenny Smith) on a championship team deserves no props.

And he's a terrible commentator. He adds little - luckily he has Marv.

17. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you have to stand by your convictions

... he is still a douchebag (but hey, mucho props for calling out the refs)

18. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Pick your poison

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
    May 2, 2005

Dallas 103, Houston 100
    It was a bad day for Jeff Van Gundy. First, he got fined $100,000 by the league for comments he made regarding the officials' treatment of Yao Ming. Then his Houston Rockets lost Game 5 to the Dallas Mavericks in a close affair that very well may have been decided by poor officiating. I guess a hundred grand doesn't get you much in the NBA these days.

To be fair, Dallas was the better team on Monday night, just as it has been since Game 2. The Mavericks used their superior quickness, speed and depth to outscore the Rockets and get to within one win of the West semifinals. They mostly used their small lineup � Dirk Nowitzki joined by four guards � and forced Yao Ming to cover one of their smaller men. The ensuing mismatches and scrambles by the Houston defense helped Dallas record 13 offensive boards � which have been a major factor the entire series.

The Mavericks took advantage of numerous second-chance opportunities and appeared to be in control of the game most of the way. Tracy McGrady once again guarded Nowitzki and did a fine job, holding him to 9-for-22 shooting, but T-Mac wore himself down in the process. He made only seven of 22 shots and looked tired in the second half.

The Rockets, however, made a great run in the fourth quarter by finally getting the ball inside to Yao. He was fronted most of the night by the smaller, quicker Dallas lineup, and in the first half, his Rockets teammates couldn't get him the ball. In the second half, Houston moved the ball side to side and found Yao for dunks and layins. McGrady also found Yao with several beautiful feeds around the basket, and the big fella converted several to bring his team close. In fact, if Yao and McGrady hadn't missed a combined eight free throws in the fourth quarter, the Rockets might have pulled off the comeback.

As it was, Houston made a gallant push in the fourth quarter and almost caught Dallas. But with about a minute to go, Jon Barry grabbed a rebound under the hoop, only to have Michael Finley slap the ball away while Finley's foot was well out of bounds. Clearly, a violation should have been called, but the officials missed it and Barry ended up fouling Jerry Stackhouse, who made two free throws. Later, with the Rockets down two and attempting to trap Finley in the corner, a referee anticipated a foul when the Rockets were simply trying to trap and force a steal. Finley wasn't touched, but he went to the free-throw line when he very well could have been forced into a turnover.

It was bad luck for the Rockets and Van Gundy, but there were encouraging signs heading into Game 6. Yao stayed out of foul trouble and made the Mavericks pay for guarding him with a small player. If he can do the same next time out, Houston has a great chance to beat Dallas and force Game 7. But McGrady will have to shoot better than 7-for-22. He'll still cover Nowitzki � Van Gundy won't consider any other options � but he must muster up the strength and stamina to play Dirk and have a big offensive night. Having two days off will help him.

For the Mavericks, they have to shore up their pick-and-roll defense again. They did a good job the past two games of keeping Yao out of the lane, but he found his way in there again Monday.