1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maine mayor: 'Somalis should leave culture at door'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Oct 7, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

First Question...
    Do you agree with the mayors statement that immigrants should do more to adapt and assimilate into the American culture, (whilst still being able to freely practice their religion) or should the Americans be the ones that need to adapt and change their way of life and culture to accommodate the immigrants way of life?

^ This story just a few weeks / months after it was discovered that Somali Terrorist Group Al-Shabab recruiting and receiving funds from Somali 'refugees' in the USA.

Minnesota trial could reveal how al-Shabab terror group recruits inside the US
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/3...ow-al-shabab-terror-group-recruits-inside-us/

Two Somali women were convicted of conspiracy and other counts and are awaiting sentencing; each could get 30 years in prison.
    http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_21591522/judges-somali-standing-citation-explained

And a few months after...

Somali Gangs Ran Sex Ring in 3 U.S. States, Authorities Say

[​IMG]

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/07/alleged-somali-gang-members-facing-trial-in-sex/

Second question...are the Somali crime gangs becoming as big a problem in the USA, as they are in their other adopted countries?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Get. A. Life.

3. IzakDavid13

Everybody welcome CometsWin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your intelligent contribution to this thread CometsWin.

:rolleyes:

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So it's forbidden to ask these questions? Is it racist to point out facts?

Sadly, I remember from my time in Denmark, that Somalis seemed to be rather overrepresented in the crime statistics. I am not speaking to the core reason behind this, probably many factors (traumatized, grown up in a culture of violence in a lawless society, etc. etc.).

http://translate.google.com/transla...nmark/hveranden-voldtaegtsdoemt-er-udlaending

I can also see where IzakDavid13 might be coming from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_crime

Why the constant need to try and shout down topics without contributing anything to the discussion?

That mayor is going to experience the same "PC mob shouting him down" mentality - but perhaps he is right to some degree, but expressed it clumsily?

He should not have said that they "have to leave their culture at the door" because that seems to be painting with too broad a brush - despite higher crime rates and, e.g., problematic attitudes towards women, there might be some very valuable cultural aspects they bring with them - it would have been sufficient to say that even if they come from a country with different laws and standards of law enforcement, when they immigrate to the USA, they have to respect American laws and American culture.

5. CometsWin

Trust me, we all appreciate your intelligent contributions to this board. Thank you for all that you do.

BTW, how many consecutive r****ded ass "Muslums are the evil" type threads do you have to start before you're satisfied with yourself?

6. CometsWin

It's bigoted to start anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim threads day after day after day and then hide behind some cloak of objectivity. You're both obsessed and paranoid. You both need help.

1 person likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you one of those people who would say that crime statistics should not be tracked and/or published if they were to reveal that certain groups are over-represented?

There is no doubt that actual bigots use crime statistics to bolster their racist and xenophobic claims, and I am against that. But I am a bit torn about this, because just sweeping these facts under the rug and acting like these things aren't happening isn't exactly addressing the issue either.

You might want to look at how things are in some French suburbs. Leftist politicians will solely blame "society" and unemployment, etc. for that. But just to pretend that there isn't another common theme to the problems there, namely the cultural and ideological background of the people who cause the problems, actually plays into the hands of actual racists and bigots.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am always amused by this tactic by the leftists and Islamist-leaning guys on this board:

1) If they cannot actually dispute certain facts, they will try to discredit the messenger by calling him racist and bigot - although the poster hasn't actually said anything racist or bigoted
    2) To bolster their insults, they point to the number of threads created on the topic - as if that changes anything about whether these threads are right or wrong on the actual issue

So what if certain posters create a lot of threads on certain issues? The only thing that shows is that the poster cares about that issue, perhaps more than others do.

It doesn't say anything about whether each thread has a valid point or not.

1 person likes this.
  9. CometsWin

I'm one of those people that believes there are certain types of people (not calling anyone any names because it's wrong to call people things based on what they do and they believe... am i rite!?!?), that want to use socio-economic factors when it suits their agenda and then want to use racial statistics to decry certain cultures and races when it suits that same agenda.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You know what's interesting about these pictures---

Vast majority of these criminals are men---typical.

"Men should leave their gender at door".

But where's the massive media campaign on that? If we want to be all about general, focused targets of a demographic group.

hmm.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I haven't seen anything decrying any race. This thread has been dealing with ideological background and country of origin, not with race.

12. CometsWin

We do this because we're unable to demonstrate that your posting history indicates that you're a looney person obsessed with anything Islam so we resort to not taking you seriously. What do you expect from leftists that hate 'murica? We all know the serious problem in America posed by sharia law, the Islamic influence within the Pentagon, the rash of female Muslim bank robbers, all the money we spend rebuilding mosques while Christian churches are being decimated, and how small towns across America are being destroyed by Somali immigrants.

13. CometsWin

Race, religion, culture, sexuality, pick your term.

14. IzakDavid13

This thread is neither Anti-Islamic, Anti-Muslim or Anti-Immigrant, so I don't see what your point is, you are just shouting to be heard...talking aloud but saying nothing.

We in Australia had a similar problem in the 80's when we allowed a massive influx of Veitnamese immigrants into the country, grouped them into the suburb of Cabramatta under our multiculturalism agenda.

[​IMG]

The Veitnamese are a hard working people's, sometimes both parents working two or three jobs and living two or three families to a house in the early years.
    (We used to think that it was weird, but it helped them to eventually purchase that home, and then use it as equity to purchase more property and or invest in business)

This group of refugees / immigrants ended up under the thumb of some very aggressive and violent Asian gang members, having to pay protection money and having a 'suffer in silence' mentality. Cabramatta became the drug and heroin capital of Australia, with dealers openly dealing heroin in the streets and overdosed junkies laying dead in alleys and on the train station.

In the 90's we had an assimilation project and community awareness program that helped the Veitnamese learn English and how to fit into Aussie culture. We also instituted a targeted Asian Crime wing of the police force to combat the Asian stand over men and drug dealers.

Cabramatta is now a shining pearl in the West. It is an economic success story and it is now safe to walk the streets. Property prices have risen and the restaraunts are some of the best in the world.

[​IMG]

You see there is nothing wrong with immigration, but there has to be some limitations on who you let into the country, how you deal with them when they do come into the country, what educational tools you provide them with, career advice, employment opportunities, linguistics training, and there are also some aspects of their culture that MUST be left at the door when entering a new homeland.

This will help them to assimilate and it will be an easier transition into new surroundings for the refugees / immigrants. It will also help them to be a productive member of their new community.

Just letting a few thousand refugees / immigrants into the country to congregate ghetto style in a community and then throw welfare cheques and food stamps at them is not the answer.

#15 IzakDavid13, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well said. I agree with all of this.

16. amaru

amaru Member

fear mongering

17. IzakDavid13

I have a radical idea, why don't you give us an idea on how you would handle the immigration situation differently or do you think that it is running smoothly as it is?

Do you think that people coming to a new country, (in many cases to escape war or oppression for better opportunities and a better standard of living), should try to assimilate and fit in to the new community, or do you believe that the onus is on the community, in which the immigrants have chosen to live, to change in order to accommodate the culture and lifestyle of said immigrants and or refugees?

Do you think the current welfare cheque and food stamp policy is a success or a failure?

18. IzakDavid13

Not at all...read above post.

This is more to do with what can we as a people do to help immigrants and refugees assimilate and fit into their new communities, to become productive members of that community.

Are there some cultural practices of immigrants or refugees that you think would be detrimental to the populous of that community, and if so, would you allow them to continue to practice that aspect of their culture in total disregard of the sensitivities and effect that it has on the other people in community, in the fear that someone may call you a bigot or a (take your pick)-a-phobe?

The question has to be asked, if you were to let someone into your own home to live amongst you and your family...do you let them set the rules and do what they want? Or do you set down some basic rules and a code of conduct?

Are there some things that you wouldn't allow visitors into your home to do, or would you let them do whatever they wanted, in the fear that you might be labeled a bigot?

#19 IzakDavid13, Oct 7, 2012
  19. IzakDavid13

It is getting to the point in this politically correct bizarro world that when a politician asks that immigrants be taught about personal hygiene, using deoderant and not walking to the front of the queues ( pushing in ) which are just our basic cultural norms in regards to hygiene and etiquette...the lefties and Green Party's tree hugging hippies absolutely loose their minds!

Really? Treating them like monkeys?

I wonder if I was to stay at Ramesh Fernandez's house for a month, not shower, not use deoderant, stand on his toilet seat to poop and use his fresh towels as my toilet paper, after leaving poop laced water on his floor because it is 'my cultural norm' to wash my butt with water after a number 2...but not my responsibility to clean up my mess after. Would he be so accommodating?

If I or anyone else was to behave like this in your home, would that be acceptable behaviour? Would you say something or just suffer in silence?

But this is common practice in many workplaces in Australia now. Offensive body odour, footprints on toilet seats, poop on toilet seats and disgusting water laced with faeces all over the floor...but heaven forbid that we say anything to upset the perpetrators!!!

No, we must just grin and bear it, otherwise we are labeled an insensitive, racist, xenophobic bigot.

Here is what Coalition MP Teresa Gambaro said to cause such hurt amongst the families of immigrants...

It is my opinion that some cultural practices have to be left at the door, or only practiced in your own home...this will help the assimilation of refugees and migrants into the fabric of society.

#20 IzakDavid13, Oct 7, 2012