1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic trying to get Mutombo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dream34, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

According to NBATalk.com

Is there Magic in Mutombo? According to the Detroit Free Press: Orlando will try to nab Dikembe from the Hawks. With Duncan having come and gone, the Magic are going to look towards Atlanta for a center for Grant Hill. It is said that they are offering Mike Miller, Michael Doleac, Matt Harpring and draft picks . -Magic Rant -- Hawk Rant
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My personal feeling is that it a great package for Mutombo. The Hawks are clearly rebuilding so why not jump on that offer.

How many of you would make the deal if you were the Hawks GM.

Would there be any kind of package the Rockets would make with the Magic for some of the above mentioned players? Obviously Cato and Drew would have to be involved. I do not see the need of picking up a Matt Harpering as we just aquired Dan Langhi. Also Jason Collier and Doliac look like they have very similar playing styles. So I am not sure if having two centers with similar playing styles would be workable for the Rockets? The main players I would be interested in acquiring would be Mike Miller and Bo Outlaw.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If they hadn't given all their extra stuff to the Clippers for free, they'd have a better shot at acquiring Mutumbo. I don't think Atlanta wants to trade him, and I don't think that package will be enough to entice them. The Magic are offering good players, but no one who is really all that great. Atlanta needs a great player to build around before they start picking up extra pieces like Orlando is offering.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If the Orlando offer was sweet enough, have to pull the trigger on the deal.
    If they were able to get a respectable center out of the 2001 draft from some extra draft picks, they would have rebuilt very quickly from the playoff team of a few years back of Mutombo, S Smith, Mookie et al.

Will this flush other offers for Mutombo out of the woodwork? Who could/would make the best offer to Atlanta? Would Atlanta prefer to send him to the Western Conference?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself like an adult

The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood!
    All will be assimilated.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This sucks-
    With the new collective bargaining agreement players (FA's) should at least be able to talk to teams for a couple of weeks before the draft. If that was the case this year, ORlando would have known they couldnt get Duncan and different trades would have been made etc on their part and perhaps Miller would have gone to Atlanta letting DJ slip to us.

Oh well. AS far as the Rockets are concerned, this does Orlando's shopping for a C certainly does increase the value of Kelvin Cato. I wouldnt mind Miller and Doleac.

If I was Atlanta, I would seriously think about the deal though. How is Mutombo going to help Atlanta. It is a couple of years (if not more) away from seriously competing again and Mutombo will be quickly aging by then (ala Olajuwon). By making this deal, they would have a dynamic 2/3 combo (DJ and Miller) to possibly form the backbone of a new style and team. This is a move I can see the new coach ( Ron Kruger-spelling???)liking also.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I was Atlanta and had decided to trade Mutombo for rebuilding, I wouldn't deal with Orlando because I don't think they have enough left to offer. I'd call Phoenix, Philadelphia, Indiana, Minnesota, Dallas, Portland (especially), and Seattle to see what they'd be willing to give up for him.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

6. Gideon

Gideon Member

Achebe, as to the post above... do you think that Johnson will stay a SG. I know he was one in college, but with his height, my thinking was that they'd do their best to throw weight on him and make him a SF just like the Rockets were planning on doing. Just like Chicago did with Pip. That's why I wasn't so sure if Atlanta would be so quick to jump on this deal.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Motombo is in the final season of a 5yr/$50M contract. Can't see the deal happening, but you gotta think it would change McGrady's thought process. Would he take the same cut as he would have for Duncan? I guess the Hawks would have Scoonie, Hanno, Mike Miller, DerMarr, & Doleac. Can you spell
    L-O-T-T-E-R-Y?

------------------
    GATER

8. Gideon

Gideon Member

Doubt it will happen. Remember that Atlanta picked up the SF that they wanted: D.Johnson. Why would they need miller, or Harpring for that matter (he played SF for Orlando, right?) Doubt it would go through.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Gideon,

DJ is more of a SG.

Also, the Hawks were absolutely in love with Mike Miller during the draft. Had he been at #6, they wouldn't have chosen DJ.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

10. Gen

Gen Member

Next year will be a great year to be in the lottery.

------------------
    "Homosexuals are just trying to make their sodomy as morally acceptable as the sodomy I enjoy in my church-sanctioned marriage."
    Frank Brodhagen, The Onion