1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic sign Shawn Kemp

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Sep 5, 2002.

1. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...rl-spt-shawnkemp09052002.story?coll=orl-magic

Magic sign free agent Shawn Kemp

From wire reports
    Posted September 5, 2002, 5:36 PM EDT

Email this story to a friend
    Printer friendly version

ORLANDO MAGIC

2002-03 schedule: Preseason | Regular season
    Orlando Magic wallpaper

Roster | Player profiles

Magic timeline

2001-02: Results | Season stats | Playoff stats | Photos

2000-01: Results | Photos | Playoffs | Playoff photos

ORLANDO -- The Orlando Magic have signed free agent forward Shawn Kemp, General Manager John Gabriel announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

Kemp (6'10", 280, 11/26/69) appeared in 75 regular season games with Portland last season, averaging 6.1 ppg. and 3.8 rpg. in 16.4 minpg. He also appeared in three postseason outings, averaging 3.7 ppg. and 2.7 rpg. in 11.7 minpg. during a first round series loss to the L.A. Lakers.

"Under the circumstances, and in addressing some of our needs, this is an opportunity for both the Magic and Shawn," said Gabriel. "We look forward to his return to the Eastern Conference. We feel we have a solid coaching staff, organization and the right leadership in place to make this a win-win situation."

Entering his 14th NBA season, Kemp was named to the All-NBA Second Team in 1994, 1995 and 1996. He has participated in the NBA All-Star Game six times during his career. Kemp led Seattle to the 1996 NBA Finals and still ranks among the Sonics’ all-time Top 10 in 11 different categories, including points (third), rebounds (second) and blocked shots (first). He was also a member of Dream Team II, helping the USA capture the gold medal at the 1994 World Basketball Championship in Toronto.

"I know the history here, but I’m a believer in giving people opportunities," said Magic Head Coach Doc Rivers. "Shawn is a great passer, a heck of a rebounder and can still shoot. Is he a savior? No, but he has a chance at addressing some of our needs. I am willing to take that chance."

"This is a great opportunity for me," said Kemp. "I’ve always felt that I have had a great relationship with Doc and look forward to playing with the guys."

Originally selected in the first round (17th overall) of the 1989 NBA Draft by Seattle, Kemp has played in 972 career games with Seattle, Cleveland and Portland, averaging 15.2 ppg., 8.6 rpg., 1.7 apg., 1.28 blkpg. and 1.15 stlpg. in 28.5 minpg. He has also appeared in 81 career playoff outings, averaging 18.5 ppg., 10.3 rpg., 2.0 apg., 1.69 blkpg. and 1.22 stlpg. in 35.4 minpg.
    Copyright © 2002, Orlando

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His poor fitness and excess bulk will reduce his efficacy,and he won't be much better than Ewing.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If he's in decent shape then good signing. If he is still a fat slop then a horrible signing, even if they're only paying him $1.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

Even if Kemp's a fat slop, he's more than what the Magic had at center, where he'll probably start in the Eastern Conference.

Too bad the Magic's frontcourt is in 2002 instead of 1997 - Horace Grant and Shawn Kemp would've been a killer starting combination. Now, I'll be happy with 20 and 15 combined from the two.

In any case...he's the best of what's been out there and for the money he's getting (likely very little), he's well worth the chance.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm surprised that he nixed his huge deal with Portland to sign for peanuts (even though they didn't disclose terms...I'm assuming). Impressive.

6. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Considering they need some post defense on that team, he will help the team a lot. He doesn't need to have great numbers, just fill his role for team. Becasue the team is in the East, he will probably play center a lot as well; making his competition in the east very limited.

If he took the min. to play on the team, the Magic made a pretty smart signing.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Maybe this is a sign he is getting into shape. I hope so, because when Kemp was in shape he was one of the most enjoyable players to watch. The guy was the original Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace.

8. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I think this will be a good move for Orlando. They were desperate for a low-post presence and Kemp is a solid player. I've heard he's been working to getting himself in top shape because he has a lot to prove. I think he'll average 15-17 points a game and about 8 rebounds because he'll definitely be the starter. Combine that with McGrady and a healthy Grant Hill, and the Magic are a contender for the NBA Finals.

9. Stevie Francis

kemp is not a bad player. good move for the magic.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Kemp signed for the minimum (which, for him, is $1m) for one year with an option for a 2nd year. Don't know whether it's a team or player option, though I imagine it's the former.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Word to Patrick - When you get paid to walk and the team turns around and signs Kemp as your replacement, it's <i>past</i> time to retire.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Everyone says it's a playing time thing, but maybe he wanted to get away from Scottie Grippen et al.:p

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When he was fat and overpaid in Cleveland, he still managed double double numbers playing at center. The guy is talented. I just wonder if his confidence is shot or not...