1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HRockets, Mar 11, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

coin flip, heypee. with our luck we'll get #13 and this year's kawhi will go at #12 though

1 person likes this.
  2. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Magic Numbers for both the Mavs and Jazz to make the playoffs is at 1.

If the Rockets were to make the playoffs, they can be only the 8th seed. 7th seed is not possible. A three way tie at 41-41, means Jazz are 7th, Rockets 8th and Mavs are out of the playoffs.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:confused:

Mavs magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 1. Jazz need help if they only win 1. We would have to lose one as well. Thus, their magic number is 2. Rockets hold tie-breaker vs Jazz, and are only down 1 game in the loss column with 2 games to go.

4. rawool

rawool Member

Dallas @ Utah
    Utah @ LA Lakers
    San Antonio @ Dallas

I see everyone winning their home games. Lakers should be in try-hard mode for Kobe's final game.

I have a hard time believing we'll beat the Timberwolves tomorrow, though.

5. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

You are correct it is 2 for the Jazz.

1 person likes this.
  6. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Thought Id up this since the rockets are getting closer to clinching a playoff spot. After yesterday's games the rockets magic number is 5.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernwinmagicnumbers.html

The rockets have the 2nd lowest magic number of any team in current playoff position behind only San Antonio.

heypartner and Lawlruschang like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What kind of ****ery is all of this!?!

DonKnock and Lawlruschang like this.
  8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Good time to resurrect this thread. The 3rd seed is looking very good for the Rockets after last night. They clinched the season series with the Clippers, essentially putting them up 6 in the loss column. And Utah lost at home to the T'Wolves which puts the Rockets up 5 in the loss column over them with a chance to clinch the season series next Wednesday.

The 2nd seed is a virtual impossibility at this point with the Spurs only having 13 losses(thanks a lot, Pacers!). So basically the Rockets are playing to solidify the #3 spot, get homecourt over every team other than Golden State and San Antonio, and put enough distance between themselves and OKC that it makes it hard for sportswriters to not give James the MVP.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

5 more wins and were in the playoffs after many experts predicted we would fall short this year. This is when we exceed better.

TexasRedd likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I concur.

Not to overlook the Rockets 1st round opponent, but the next logical question would be, what opponent do you want the Spurs to face.
    The Spurs are still the Spurs, but I think they - like the Rockets - have a potential 1st round loss upset in them. I kind of feel it would be neat to see the Clippers slide to 7th. Not sure who I'd want the Rockets to face either. Oh well, 1st round even won't be easy.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Spurs are 0-1 vs the Grizzlies(with 3 games remaining), 1-2 vs the Clippers, 1-1 vs the Jazz(with 2 games remaining), and 1-0 vs the Thunder(with 2 games remaining).

We'll have a better idea of how they measure up to those 4 teams by season's end, but right now, I agree that the Clippers falling to 7th would be nice. I don't see that happening though. Even with LA's recent struggles, their remaining schedule isn't tough enough to drop them that low.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Scribo or try still posting lately?

13. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Due to the blazers losing tonight the magic number is down to 2.

A win tomorrow night against the cavaliers plus a loss by the blazers to Phoenix will clinch a playoff spot.

#153 TexasRedd, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Hakeemtheking and 9baller like this.