1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mack is the man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by driver8, Jan 13, 2000.

1. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

Shandon had, like, 4 steals tonight! Mack look bewildered out there!

I'm just real glad we picked up Shandon instead of resigning that guy.

2. ArmChair Coach

Who said anything about having one over the other? Why not have both? As I posted before, when Bullard is off. What happened tonight? Who was the outside threat? Mack might not have been on fire, but he did hit some wide open shots. I'm not bashing Bullard. He just had an off night.

Will,

Can the posts be about the Jazz or Spurts or someone else?

[This message has been edited by ArmChair Coach (edited January 14, 2000).]

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong... but I thought I heard from Micheal Murphy and from some other articles that Mack wanted a 5 year contract in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 mil per. Rockets was willing to offer a 3 year deal worth something like 3 mil per year which Mack rejected.

I think if the Rocks met Mack's demand, we will have people in here complaining about why we have this slow guy taking up salary slot 3 years from now. I too wish we have a shooter like Mack on our roster, but not for 5 years. IMHO, Rocks made the right decision. Like Murphy said, "If he was really that good, why 28 other teams did not find a way to sign him (until now) ?" And it's only the low of the low GS team that signed him.

I totally disagree about the loyalty factor with Mack, he has not done enough for us to be loyal to him. As far as the Rhodes trade, "Yes", we basically got nothing in return, but we were just getting rid of a malcontent.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Mack outplayed Anderson last night. He played less than half the minutes Anderson played, so if you double his numbers he had: 22 pts (8-16 shooting, 4-6 FT), 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 10 fouls, 2 steals and 6 TOs. Compare to Anderson's: 17 points (6-12 and 5-6), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 fouls, 6 steals, 2 TOs.

5. popeye

popeye Member

Mango

Yeah I have become a real supporter and cheerleader of Carlos's I guess. He has what I think this franchise used to fill it's rosters with .... Someone who has pride but is not prideful, someone with brass cojones on and off the court. He lives his life like a man of respect. He is unselfish. He is quiet about his pain, and he is verbal about others efforts. He comes to play. He faces his opponents in the game and in life with equal stoicism, resolve and energy.

I posted a couple of weeks ago, a conversation I had with Kevin Willis after Toronto played us at the Compaq Center. Kevin and Oakley really banged Carlos around in that game,if you'll remember. Kevin said some really funny things about the game and about 'los. But his remarks and the way he spoke of our man, showed a deep respect for Mr. Rogers. This praise for an opponent is not something that Kevin Willis gives out freely.

Moon Bus

The offers were varied. However, a standing Rockets offer of $2+M/year for two years and a third with team option was the Rocket offer that was on the table the longest. This matched ( actually, slightly less than the $6.7M/3 with fourth year option) offers from Bucks, Sixers, and other parties that existed briefly earlier in the trade season. Sam turned the Rockets offer down, as he felt he could get a better base and more importantly a longer tenure ("four years or nothing")elsewhere. But their offer remained therefor sometime. Other avenues were pursued by both his agent and by the Rockets(as a sign and trade or combo). Eventually the Rockets offer was taken off the table.

In the ensuing weeks, things changed.The two year period to turn over the team to a "new dynasty" was shortened to "this year", following the Hakeem, Barkley disruptions.

The "LongView" theory arose, where Les,RT and CD began to seriously consider this year/next year and the roster moves that would be needed then to push this team into it's "new dynasty" role. In these terms, Sam never was considered to be an integral part.

Mack hooked up in California.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye,

But you never answered the question.

Is Carlos the future starting 3 or 4?

Mango

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

bobrek, I was just kidding.

Mack played a nice little game (considering the fouls) and he'll probably put up some numbers this season for GS and earn a decent contract next year. But I'd rather have Anderson than Mack (if I had to choose). He could have helped the Rockets if we had signed him, but it won't be the end of the world that we didn't.

8. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

I never disputed signing Anderson. I completely agree that the Rockets are a better team with Anderson (and without Mack) if you have to choose between the two. Especially long-term.

However, I don't think that is a choice the Rockets had to make. After evaluating what Walt had brought to the table after 15-20 games, the Rockets could have gone after Mack for use at the SF position.

9. popeye

popeye Member

Mango

"But you never answered the question. Is Carlos the future starting 3 or 4?"

Sorry, I thought it was a rhetorical reference/question, meant to spur on a few replies only. To answer that question I would have to be able to part waters, grow hair on Sir Charles's head and hop higher than Little Stevie Wonder. All out of my range!!!!

My Answer

The roster changes have not been set since day one. I am far from an expert or have influence enough to make an accurate guess. But, I think Carlos is playing at about 70% of his talent level. I know he loves this team and would not want to leave. I know RT,CD and Les really like his game. And, I know he has one of those invaluable commodities .... he doesn't mind coming off the bench, and he is equally effective either way.

My Guess

This Year:He will continue to be used as necessary, as it seems everyone on the team will be this season. Next year I think they are aftersome wholesale position moves. Some to strengthen the bench. Some to add a starter possibilities.

Next Year: A 2000-2001 Roster including Francis, Anderson, Cato, Carlos, Hakeem and hopefully Cuttino looks good, but far from complete. There are some postions, most notably at the three and four, that we need filled with a bigtime starter/instant impact player.

Carlos's Role In All This

The success the Rockets have at finding that person, and filling either of those needs (3 or 4), or Carlos being able to grow more in that direction ( a consistent go-to, "instant offense" player), will tell us where his true longterm starter value really is.

Right now I like his chances. But, dang I picked the Rox as the third to fourth seeded team this year. Schmidt Happens!! Go figure!!!

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye,

So the answer is, to be determined later.

Thanks

Mango

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

First, will you guys quit with the personal attacks already ? OK. My Mack Smack.
    No way would I trade Mack for ANderson. Anderson has a much better long term upside, and a much better all around game. That's clear. Yes, shooters are nice, but the Rockets have some excellent shooters, who righ now can't get their open shots, ( The only kind I remember Mack REALLY being good at), until our Big guys,(Hakeem/Cato/'MassT ), get back for real. Also, Mack is a streak shooter, so when he's cold, he's just another body on the floor. Anderson contributes in many ways. No way do I give Mack multimillions for 4/5. No way. Go Rockets. Go Dream. etc.

12. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Someone please post a source on the "Mack wanted 5 million a season for 5 years" quote.

Last I heard Mack wanted around 2.5 over 4 years if not then 3, but the Rox were not going to go over 2 years at around the same price.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

juan valdez

if you use that logic, then you will have to add to anderson's steal total (he got at least 2 of his 6 from mack)...you will also have to add to anderson's free throw total as those additional 5 fouls from mack would have inevitably sent anderson to the line...

too bad mack's rustiness on the defensive end caused him to pick up 5 fouls and effectively take himself out of the game...

don't get me wrong...i like mack as an offensive threat, but doubling his numbers to prove he outplayed anderson is very deceiving

14. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

Yeah, so I'm new at this...here's what I have to say in response (see other posting).

To all you bbs 'pros' out there:
    Simply espressing an opinion about a 2-time former Rocket who by right should still be playing for this team was not intended to provoke or begile. Yeah, I live in the Bay Area, but I'd wager I've been a devoted Rockets fan longer than you've been driving.

My point is simply that Mack contributed much to the team OFF THE BENCH when he was called upon to do so. I don't dispute his numbers, but he can play SF just as good as Walt has shown me this season. Mack nearly single handedly kept the Rockets in a playoff game last season against the Lakers. Finally, the Rockets gave up Roderick Rhodes last season for absolutely nothing in return. If they never intended to resign Mack, why are the Rockets giving away players like that.

Oh yeah, to those that dispute whether the Rockets need some outside shooting, take a look at what they did against one of the worst defensive teams in the league last night. I was at the game. It was another pathetic 43% FGP last night.

Instead of jumping all over die-hard Rockets fans that happen to be 'first-time posters,' why don't you take off blinders and realize this team is in real trouble and needs all the help it can get. From playoff contender to a lottery team contending for the most number of balls in the basket next summer is a sharp decline reserved only for those teams that never belonged in the playoffs in the first place.

I happen to think the Rockets are better than that.