1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luol Deng traded to Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Alex Kennedy, always stating the obvious - [​IMG]

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thibodeau to Houston.

4. Fefo

Fefo Member

Would u trade omer and parsons for deng? Or even parsons and lin for him?
    I know i will, deng is an allstar, two way player with same or best stats than chandler, he is due less money than parsons ( new contract) + omer or lin, and its a good veteran to have on the prime of his career. He could have solved us so many troubles with our perimeter D.

5. Swag

Swag Member

any1 kno if it is possible for deng to sign with chicago as a free agent when his contract expires? not that he would want ... my friend and i are debating this

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He can sign with any team. But even if he was ok with coming back, they are very unlikely to have enough cap space for the salary he's going to command.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sounds like some Gar Forman/Bulls bull*****. (According to Luol and his agent).

Luol's thoughts on his Bulls exit

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....leave-it-offer-he-did-not-ask-for-15-million/

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well honestly I think this is a great trade for the Cavs, they are the worst drafters in the history of the NBA esp. considering the amount of information available today not just to teams, but to the common NBA fan.

Deng is someone who every team really needs, he can hit open shots, create on his own and he can defend the other team's best player every night or at least slow them down. Despite having several top 5 picks the Cavs still need talent desperately because of their abysmal drafting, and they are on a bit of a clock because the fanbase has all but given up and Irving might be having thoughts of pulling a LBJ 2.0 and leaving in FA because the team is just horrible.

So ironically, even though the team has been drafting "NBA ready" players left and right, the front office is now on a clock and need to put out a competitive team within the next couple of years or else they lose Irving and quite possibly the only reason the Cav fans are still buying tickets to games. Deng is one to have a guy take some of the load off Irving, and the best part is since he isn't a superstar, he won't make the Cavs too good in the East. This allows them to still have a decent pick in the coming draft, and while it won't be as high without Deng, the Cavs seem to prioritize "NBA Ready" players over everything else so giving them a top pick would be just a waste, as we saw when they passed on Valanciunas for TT, Barnes for Waiters and Noels for Bennett.

As for the Bulls, meh. Maybe they can have a firesale and we can snag somebody good off their roster. And maybe Thibs resign so we can bring him aboard.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chicago Bulls' Tom Thibodeau to Knicks rumors only compounded after Luol Deng trade

There are rumblings around the Chicago Bulls’ offices these days that Tom Thibodeau already has a deal in place to coach the Knicks next season.

Well, Thibodeau is represented by CAA, the one and only firm that Jim Dolan wants to deal with when it comes to players and coaches. But it’s extremely difficult to believe that an agreement has been struck with the former Knicks assistant to come back to New York, since he’s under contract to coach the Bulls through 2016-17.

You can just imagine the fallout if a Thibodeau-Knick deal were to be proven true. There wouldn’t be just a major tampering case here, but Thibodeau would face sanctions from the NBA, possibly preventing his move to the Garden.

But after this season, sure, Thibodeau has to be seen as a viable candidate for the Knicks’ job. As we saw with Doc Rivers’ departure from the Celtics last June to take over the L.A. Clippers, a coach under contract can still move on, for a price. In Rivers’ case it was an unprotected first-round pick that Boston will get in 2015.

By trading Luol Deng this past week for what amounted to major financial relief, the Bulls are preparing to rebuild and that certainly may influence whether Thibodeau wants to stay in Chicago or make a move to New York, if the Knicks say goodbye to Mike Woodson.

The Bulls’ front office tried to paint a picture that Thibodeau was on board with the Deng trade, but league sources say that he was kept in the dark about where they were shipping one of his all-time favorite players and about the timing of the deal. That’s the kind of maneuver that has always caused friction between the Bulls’ front-office honchos and their head coach.

At some point, we could see Thibodeau saying enough’s enough and looking to move on, with the Garden becoming a very viable landing spot. Aside from the CAA connection, Dolan might also have figured out by now that Thibodeau is one of the NBA’s top coaches. In fact, the Eagles, with whom Dolan is close, are said to rank him No. 1 on their all-time list.

10. ferrari77

HUH? I don't understand the last sentence. Is it in reference to the musical group or the NFL team and why the heck is that relevant?

11. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Veteran Luol Deng not happy about being traded into mess that is Cleveland Cavaliers

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man, these Euros are always complaining, especially when they play in a smaller market.

13. ferrari77

Does that apply to the Africans as well?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luol Deng was upset about NYDN article with anon quote saying he called <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cavs&amp;src=hash">#Cavs</a> &quot;a mess.&quot; Said: &quot;I'm really disappointed and it hurt me (1of2)</p>&mdash; M.S. Boyer/J. Valade (@PDcavsinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/statuses/429839449623904256">February 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Deng: &quot; because I do care about the guys in the locker room. I've never in my career had something like that written about me.&quot; (2 of2)</p>&mdash; M.S. Boyer/J. Valade (@PDcavsinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/statuses/429839583527075840">February 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He plays for team Britain, he Euro.

16. ferrari77

He was born in Africa and has African parents and considers himself African first and foremost? He's African that plays for Team GBritain. He African.

17. afk

afk Member

Those Cavs are a giant mess. I really expect heads to roll in the Cav's office soon.