1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Luc Mbah a Moute - 3rd string PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Luc Mbah a Moute is the defacto third string PG on the Rockets. I did not see this coming. Discuss. :)

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Missing u Beverley

mountainsinger and napalm06 like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Positionless. The only real "Pgs" on this team are cp3 and harden.

topfive likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't get it. how does this hurt the other team or force them to matchup in any way? it's not like luc will ever post up smaller guys a la livingston. why are we doing this and/or how is this good for us? (other than the fact that for some odd reason morey hasn't picked up an actual 3rd string PG to date)

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

What does his 3pt shooting have to do with him being a good back up PG? I know he's been shooting outstanding but mentioning his assists would make more sense.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i love how tad brown cites those stats in the tweet as sort of like a preemptive strike on the inevitable WTF reactions :D

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Why not, the guy’s pretty solid at driving.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hmmm, My thought was the opposite: How does it hurt us to have a legimate NBA defender with length and 3pt shooter playing new Age, position-less ball? And how does a 3rd String, traditional PG hurt the opponents....more than our better rotation guy can.

you mean, "other than the fact that for some odd reason you haven't embraced the position-less NBA to date." :)

This could/should actually allow Harden to rest more, by having one of our True, NBA rotation guys fill these rest minutes, instead of giving them to a cold player on the bench, just because he's a traditional PG.

BigMaloe, Nook, RockWest and 2 others like this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

your 2nd point might be right. i guess i just don't want to take the chance that our 6'8" guy gets beat off the dribble by opposing team's little point guards and from that standpoint would have preferred a jarrett jack type of vet who also already knows how to run a team, manage the pace, feed the hot hand, etc with years of experience doing this.

i know this positionless concept fits the new league trend, but it also conveniently fits the fact that we don't have a real back AND that pringles gets to keep his tight 8-man rotation now too :D

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is that what they do on Twitter? People that have no business putting input on this basketball team. We are the worst micromanaging franchise I have ever seen.

11. valorita

valorita Member

Luc has been better than advertised and is a solid versatile defender who hustles, shoots a respectable clip from range and can occassionally attack ansloppy closeout.

That is by no means a legit reason to put him as a 4th string ball handler behind Gordon.

The Rockets need a legitimate and reliable third string PG to initiate offense in a pinch.

We also have a lack of offense with the second unit if not for EG.

Post Preseason eval needs:

1) size at the backup PF/C to defend LMA and Gasols

2) a 3rd string PG

Initially I thought that we did not miss out much on Melo.
    But having watched Ryno and our team dynamics thus far, we really messed up.

12. heypartner

It's a solid 9 man rotation right now. That's perfect for me. I'm not a big fan of 10 men rotations, discounting garbage time.

Paul
    Harden
    Ariza
    Anderson
    Capela

Gordon
    Nene or Black platoon system
    PJ Tucker
    Luc

AroundTheWorld and seeingredtx like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the problem is when one of our guards goes down with injury, i just don't feel comfortable throwing luc into that role. i mean it's one thing to guard guys your size and then trot down and wait in the corner. but to guard guys 6-8" shorter and then have to advance the ball, read the defense, make the right pass at the right time, manage the clock etc -- all for a guy who's never done this his entire career

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I like Luc a lot, and he will outplay the contract he signed. The 9-10 man rotation is solid. Many ways to play...

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Thought this was a joke thread when I saw the title

It was....not....????????? What the hell???????

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

If you watched the game, you would've known this. Mbah a Moute brings it up a lot more than expected, and they even said last night or on Wednesday(forgot which) that D'Antoni was extremely impressed by his ball handling and will look for him to provide that here.

Exposed as a guy who doesn't watch games...like non.

SIL

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

For a team this old and injury prone too boot, give me the 10 man rotation.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I rather we go get a combo guard 15-20mpg 3pt chucking machine than a 3rd string PG.

2nd units

Nene
    Tucker/Mbah
    Mbah/Tucker
    Gordon
    3rd string scoring chucker like Lou Williams

let Mbah run it up, the other 2 guards be capable handlers too. I don't see it as a reason to add a given generic PG, I see it as an opportunity to add more dynamic scoring and shooting to our team. Granted, this will never happen given D'Antoni's 8 man rotation or less.

I thought demetrius was great at pushing it yesterday, pushing the ball is huge for our offense.

SIL

saleem likes this.
  19. heypartner

What guys? That problem can happen with any teams. Most teams do not play 10-man rotations, discounting Garbage minutes.

So every team needs contingencies. One of ours is both Paul and Harden can play 38mpg at PG if the other is inired. That makes our PG position one of the strongest on the team. Same with SG.

imo you're overrating our vulnerability to injury at a guard position vs injuries vulnerabilities to all NBA teams.

We are a deep team

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good point. Should be explored.