1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowe on OKC Finances and the Harden Trade Legacy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Icehouse, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This is a HUGE difference, it's literally a "David vs. Goliath" scenario....:(

3. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Wow, I had no idea the TV deals were that different. Does anyone know of a good source for team revenues and TV deals for the NBA? It's probably not public info most of the time, but I would be interested in reading it to get a better idea of how bad off small market teams are.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gawd, that's grotesque. No wonder the Lakers own the ESPN media pukes (I couldn't bring myself to call them reporters).

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. More like a owner choosing short term cash grab over long term sustainability scenario. OKC made $30mil last year. This despite carrying a payroll of $68mil last year. Which means even excluding overhead and marketing cost, OKC earned at least ~$83mil from other sources. They likely have a stadium deal where the city is practically giving him money.

Bennett didn't want to wait in Seattle until they had the money to build him a shiny new arena. So he bolted to a city, even a much smaller one, that gave him everything. The OKC situation was chosen by its owner.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's odd that despite being similarly thought of as geeky GMs, Morey and Presti have such different approaches to coaching. Morey going with an organizational approach to maximizing efficiency, while Presti let his coach play the "my players are more talented than your players" style where they can only out-talent their opponents.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't understand his numbers.

Is he adding Harden's salary on top of the current numbers (that already include Lamb and Adams who they wouldn't have without the Harden trade) AND assumes that the Thunder re-signs everyone at similar salary (for instance Thabo)? Even then the numbers would be smaller.

His math looks ****ed up.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I trust that Zach got his numbers right. He is about the best published NBA analyst around. And that was a superb article.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Actually, nevermind. I didn't notice the footnote, he's including Perkins' amnestied salary.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I know who Zach Lowe is. :)

Nothing wrong with trying to understand exactly what's meant in an article.

11. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

It's funny that everyone wants to make excuses for Okc. They literally tossed away a dynasty to line their pockets. Yet, Memphis got killed for breaking down a lottery team due to the finances with Pau.

12. Classic

Classic Member

Nice sig.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

You must hang out with a peculiar crowd if you think everyone makes excuses for OKC. This is the only partially quasi positive take on the trade that I've seen.

OKC can't get mentioned without the person also bringing up the terrible Harden trade.

14. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Small markets are hard to compete if they want to put multiple stars on the floor. Heat are going to have a tough choice soon also. Too bad.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Awww poor Thunder, all they have to build around is the 2nd best player in the NBA, a top 3 point guard, and a top 5-6 power forward.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

somebody help me out here, a la TV deals.

I understand that the LA market is more than 10x the OKC market. That makes sense.

But if I'm living in LA, would I rather watch some thunder games or some Laker games (this year, I mean.)

Aren't we going to move into a more sophisticated viewer world where you'd buy a cable package of your local team + (for example) three teams of your choosing. Then you've have the ability to watch all of those three teams.

Seems like the Rockets (this year for sure), OKC, Heat would really clean up on TV revenue, and fans would love packages like this.

It just seem so neolithic to do local TV deals, a leftover from the rabbit-ear antenna days. (But this is NOT my industry -- somebody correct me pls.)

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I bet they wouldn't be facing these issues if they had just kept the team in Seattle. No sympathy.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Could you give me the source, I'm not following where you got the $83Million of additional revenue.
    Even with your numbers I only see 30+83= $113million which is still far less than $250million.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Lakers are still a storied franchise. They aren't the Kings. They have a history of winning championships so no, LA isn't going to start demanding other teams games. Do Yankees fans stop being Yankee fans?

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Revenue = $83mil elsewhere + $15mil local TV = $98 total revenue
    Cost = Players salary at $68mil + assumed $0 overhead + assumed $0 marketing and other expenditures = $68mil.
    98-68=30 profit.

Yes, les than $250mil. But the Rockets are also making a hell of a lot less than than that too. Yet Les was willing to to do things like paying $3mil per 2nd round pick and amnestying a decent player in Scola, paying teams to get rid of bad contracts.

If the Rockets and the Thunder rosters were switched, you can bet that even without a $250mil/yr TV deal, Les would've amnestied Perkins in a nanosecond and allowed Morey to use the full MLE on talented players, like not Ryan Gomes.