1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Low tops for basketball?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Is it recommended to always wear an ankle brace or would i be ok?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Be honest, how hard are your cuts? How quick is your lateral movement?

Mine is **** so low tops are just fine.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think most modern studies are implying that high tops are actually bad for your ankles and prevent the ankle from properly stabilizing/moving in a natural way.

So you're good with low tops.

LCAhmed, Jontro and Cranberry_Juice like this.
  4. Cranberry_Juice

Slow lateral, no jumping. Back to basket, lot of pivoting.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Most people I've seen don't play pickup hard enough to where it matters.
    I imagine they would be bad for your knees as well. I'd rather deal with ankle injuries than knee injuries any day.

Jontro and Cranberry_Juice like this.
  6. Cranberry_Juice

I was wearing kyrie 2's and it was digging into my achilles. Also the lack of cushioning was killing my knees , so i switched to the Hardens CL boost for the cushioning.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've always worn high tops since i first started learning to basketball so that's all i know. Still use a high top, but will try a low top for my next pair.

Cranberry_Juice likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Good choice. While Kyrie's shoes give +3 speed and +5 handling, it also gives -10 to knees. Harden shoes will give +4 to euro step and +5 step back jumper, but at a net loss of -10 to defense and +3 to turnovers.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't believe these studies. Whenever I play in low tops I sprain my ankle.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

every player is different. it really comes down to whats comfortable to you and the type of player you are. there isn't anything that says you should wear this or that and is the correct way. some people can play with ankle braces others can't. some people can play in low tops others can't.

OP Have you tried an ankle brace on before? neoprene type or full brace?

11. Cranberry_Juice

I use to wear ankle braces when I wore the first tmac. Got too bothersome and started wearing mid tops. Although I am not opposed to getting some, it's just hard to find one with a balance of being stiff enough and also giving me enough movement to rotate my ankle.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would leave it to the CF expert @paulftsk

I seen this boy hoop at the 24hr at San Felipe and Voss and he wears high tops.

But then again this breh on a different level when it comes to hooping compared to the rest of us.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

wrd. sometimes you sacrifice comfort for some stability right. If you're known for frequent ankle problems, personally I would opt for some type of ankle brace as injuries take priority to me over anything else.

The times that I've had to wear one the Active Ankle braces were the ones I went with. Try a few of these on if you haven't. You might like them.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Some people don't like the feeling of not having the ankle support, especially those used to playing in traditional shoes. But the latest low tops have gotten really good at providing very good ankle support. You do not need an ankle brace (although if you have a history of ankle problems go for it, regardless of the shoe type).

It'll be different for everyone. I've had trouble in some older low tops where the ankle spills out of the shoe when you cut at certain angles - Harden's old Hyperlives for example. Most new models are fine from what I've seen and read.

Your best bet is to read product specific reviews from a trusted expert or find a forum where the product is reviewed.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Plus he's shooting free throws and everyone knows you have to be wearing high tops while shooting free throws.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I recommend the D-Bo Slides, preferably the Jordan brand. They just seem to have more support. Very lightweight and very low cut; so comfortable that socks are optional, unless youre black, socks seem to be always required. With these though, youll be breaking ankles in no time- be it yours or your opponents, it makes no difference; ankles bout to be broke son.

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

When I think high tops, I think of those Kobes that are like mid shin. I wear mid tops to play ball in because I can't stand low tops digging into the back of my ankle. Best basketball shoe I've played in are the Adidas TS Commander Bounces

[​IMG]

18. Cranberry_Juice

I tried some McDavid ankle braces, but they were so stiff that I felt like I would break my knee with them. Anyone have recommendations on a softer, maybe wraparound brace, that is stiff enough like mid top shoes?

19. Granville

Granville Member

I'm gonna agree with you. No way would I have ever played in Low Tops.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Chuck wore high tops, so that is strong endorsement as far as I am concerned.

[​IMG]