1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lou Williams traded to Rockets for Corey Brewer, first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raz, Feb 21, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You just do it against the other team's 2nd unit. I think it would be very easy to make another coach try to match up with that, when they are resting their best player(s).

Richie_Rich, cdrive and DonKnock like this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yupp, Rockets are legitimately deep now and we need to use that strength to keep constant pressure on other teams to keep pace with our scoring.

Richie_Rich, D-rock, sammy and 4 others like this.
  3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm missing everything, but that I have concerns about some specific things which was articulated.

3 guard back courts in the NBA are kinda like a drunk frat boy bar lit business plan. Sounds genius until it hits the cruel light of day. The old adage of ah it's not how we match up to them but how they match up with us is only half true.

Recent showings of 3 guard line ups have shown weaknesses. In college you can run a plan like this deep, but NBA teams are too good not to exploit weaknesses. The Warriors aren't going to pull KD because our sweet Lou-Bev-Gordon trio is so dope yo. No. KD will feast and force small ball to end quickly with a time out.

6'1 Bev + defender, 6'1 Lou - defender, 6'6 Beard avg to - defender.

6'1 Bev + defender, 6'1 Lou - defender, 6'5 Gordon avg to - defender.

Those are your 2 small ball trios. Sure in 2k you can do Gordon Beard and Lou or Bev, but you'd have to show me how that would work in a real 48 minute game with a real 8-9 man rotation with real subs in/outs.

Adding Lou isn't like just squirting MiO in your glass of water.

justtxyank and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Doubt we would be going 3 guard against GS. But that doesnt mean it can't have applications in regular season games or early round playoffs against other teams second unit

Pen15clubber, ilovehtownbb and cdrive like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's going to be mostly situational IMO, like when the other team goes big and we want to stretch them out and flat out outrun and outgun them or when they go small and we need to keep up with them. Small ball has its place, but it's not any sort of all the time type deal.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

@chenjy9 absolutely situational. And how does 'situational' equate to rhythm and consistent units and unit chemistry, something that MDA champions as do most NBA coaches. That's why when Bev was out you saw Brew start sometimes, right, so that EGo could stay consistent and comfortable with the bench unit. Most of the time we can make the other team bend to us. But being competitive against GS is what matters most, and GS's length will force us to not play our best players the max minutes we would want.

We have new advantages that weren't there before, but we have some new disadvantages also. How do we optimize these 4 guards minutes without sacrificing some perimeter D? Does it all shake out in the offense/defense net? Remains to be seen. I'm optimistic but, yeah, I have some worries.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

is this trade official yet?

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Lou Will already took his physical so just waiting on Brewer's tomorrow for finalization

9. CallMeTheDream

Wouldn't it be our luck for Brewer to light up some killa tonight and sabotage the whole trade lmao. Thank God he's not that kind of person.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO I sense the fear in this Mavs fan who is hoping for this trade to be rescinded. Keep hoping Lawrence

Rockets are now so much better than your Mavs

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Meh, DMO can still win the starting 4 or 5 spot.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Ultimately that's going to depending on MDA, but I think we will be seeing Harden rotate over to PF more often now with Ryno at the center slot with Williams and Bev at the corner and Ego wherever he wants to be.

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Imagine if we got the
    I was looking for something lengthy to watch but I couldn't find much. Wanted something around 10 minutes from a big name just to hear what they have to say.

14. threepointshot3

Now? the Rockets have been much better then the ponies since 2015.

15. H-Town Rockets Guy

Great Trade. Cant wait to watch the game with our newest addition Lou Williams. Probably have to wait til Saturday's game against Minnesota.

DonKnock and Lawlruschang like this.
  16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Why are people making this so hard, Gordon is first guard off the bench, Lou the second. Dekker is back-up SF for Ariza so just the 3-guard line-up that is situational, but other than that it's pretty much a rotation of 4 guards. Imagine the possibilities!!! In games it could roughly look like this:

Harden-Bev - 1st quarter
    Harden-Gordon - 6 minutes into 1st quarter
    Lou-Gordon - begin 2nd quarter
    Harden-Lou - 2 minutes into 2nd quarter
    Harden-Bev - 5 minutes into 2nd quarter
    Harden-Gordon - 8 minutes into 1st quarter

Beverley and Lou will be tricky due to size, but I'm sure D'Antoni will try it ;)

DonKnock likes this.
  17. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

18. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

damn it my name is lawrence too

swyyyguy and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

tbh I always wonder what it feels like to be traded from a winning team/playoff bound to a lower tier team and vice versa. It's like lou williams was cruising along about to go on vacation/off season and then bam he's now has a chance for a ring, while Brewer was on a winning and then bam about to be on vacation. Rough.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

I think williams can backup Ariza and ryno.