1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Being unable to post for me was terribly difficult because I wanted to chime in on the threads about potential draft picks. I've come to the conclusion that Eduardo Najera is our man. He is the best Senior out there and probably in the top 10 overall. You guys kept saying you wanted Kenyon Martin, well Najera is clearly equally as good if not better. Check out the head-to-head stats using CBS Sportsline's Player Matchup feature.
    1999 Season Statistics

K. Martin C 6-9 230 E. Najera F 6-8 240

15.1 Points Per Game 18.5
    8.6 Rebounds Per Game 8.3
    1.7 Assists Per Game 2.0
    54.1 % Field Goal % 47.4 %
    0 % 3-Point % 19.2 %
    66.7 % Free Throw % 73.3 %
    27.1 Minutes Per Game 33.8
    40 Field Goals Made 55
    74 Field Goals Attempted 116
    0 3-Point FGs Made 5
    0 3-Point FGs Attempted 26
    26 Free Throws Made 33
    39 Free Throws Attempted 45
    15 Offensive Rebounds 21
    45 Defensive Rebounds 45
    60 Total Rebounds 66
    12 Assists 16
    14 Fouls 23
    5 Steals 9
    14 Turnovers 24
    23 Blocks 7
    106 Points 148
    7 Games 8
    190 Minutes Played 270

He has played way more minutes; that explains the fouls and turnovers. Points are clearly better, rebounds are a wash, assist are a wash. But the thing I like about Eduardo(and this is being unbiased as I am a Sooner fan) is that he can post-up, shoot middle range and an occasional three, and he works butt off on the boards. Plus, he the toughest player I have ever seen. If you don't know, he played half his Soph. year with a stress fracture and still managed to contribute. He had a lacerated cheek inside his mouth and bloody nose and a concussion against Michigan St. last year in the NCAA Tournament and he finished the game after being patched up. This guy is tough as nails, is the hardest working player on his team(comments by coach Sampson) and has fire(something Cato needs). Based on that, he is clearly a Rudy kind of guy and the Rockets should definitely take a look.

------------------
    Najera is playboy all-american!!!

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If K martin played the minutes of Najera
    18.8 ppg
    10.3 reb per game

Points are now a wash. Rebounds are in favor of Martin. You neglect to mention Martin's block shot ability.

I can't argue with Najera's toughness. Stats don't show this. I haven't seen Cincy this year and can't judge his newly found offensive game.

Najera should be able to contribute early on, while Martin take some early lumps but he will become better.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Who cares about NAJERA!

Kenyon Martin is the real deal. He has to be drafted by the rockets. He is a rockets type of player.

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I guess we'll see on Wednesday of next week who is the real deal. Though it is only one game, on Wednesday Najera and Martin face off when #24 Oklahoma plays #1 Cincinnati. That game will tell alot about who is the better player. Hopefully Eduardo.

------------------
    Najera's gonna go Gabe Muoneke on your butt Mihm!

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Hey will that game be on TV?

because if it is. Everyone should watch it. Look at Kenyon Martin. THis guys runs the floor better than anyone power forward. HE HAS IT ALL!

With the First pick of the 2000 draft. The houston rockets select Kenyon Martin!!!!

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited December 18, 1999).]

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Martin just had another tear-it-up game, this time against St Louis. Move his rebounding #s up to 9.6 and PPG to 15.6. What class is Martin? I know Najera is a Senior, but to me that is a minus. If Martin is a Jr. or a So. then think how much better / more polished he can get in the next few years.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Actually Martin is a SENIOR. His team never had anyone that could help him out so he can be a well known player like he is now. MARTIN is a great player.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The number that stands out is their field goal %, najera's isn't bad, but martin is hitting 54 %. That is incredible. Of course, he probably doesn't have the range of eduardo.

eduardo reminds me of a christian laettner type power forward, and i haven't seen much of Martin, but from descriptions, maybe he is a taller version of corliss williamson ? I think martin will be better then williamson though, alot better.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Game is on ESPN at 8 p.m. next Wednesday. I'll try to remind you next Wednesday to watch. It should be a great game.

------------------

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

He reminds me more of Tom Gugliotta for some reason. Oh by the way, the only reason Eduardo's FG% isn't higher is because he definitely has more range and Martin is a Shaq-like "All I can do is dunk player".

------------------

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

No Martin has found his shot better this year. He can make those 15 footers but cant shoot 3s. Would You rather have a gugliotta player or a shaq?

Martin is clearly a better player. He is AWESOME.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

I have seen both of these guys play several times and i have to say that Kenyon Martin is by far the better player for the Rockets. After a couple of years in the league, he will become an upper level power forward. Combine this with anderson, mobley, francis, cato, and all the others hitting their stride at the same time and we can become a championship contendor for years.

Go Rockets!