1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

|Lottery and Rebuilding| which way should Rockets Go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Nov 22, 2010.

?

which way should Rockets Go?

1. Option 1. Let Yao Go, Rebuilding around young core and top-3 overall selection in this draft

79 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. "The San Antonio Trick"

44 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Superstar 4 Morey, Les and Yao

32 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

2. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

Although Morey meant well, that Gay for Battier swap has and will continue to haunt us for years to come. I say dump Yao and go for proven talent elsewhere.Perkins would be nice.

3. golduel

golduel Member

let yao go,
    fire adelman,
    acquire a new franchise player

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Didn't read this entire thread. So perhaps someone has already informed you.

To get the cap space you reference, the Rockets have to renounce the players you listed. If they do that, and fall under the NBA salary cap, they do not get an MLE once they sign players and go back above the cap.

It's called an "exception" for a reason. :grin:

Additionally, there are other issues with anyone trying to predict what they'll do this far in advance of a new CBA. (Stern won't get it, but he has mentioned a "hard cap").

But of this I am relatively certain. $Ball methodology will prevail and if any of the players you list are sought by multiple sources, the Rockets will drop from the bidding.

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Until we draft a future super star the rebuilding is only delayed.

There is not a current player we could build around unless we could get
    Lebron, Dwight Howard, D Rose or Durrant- very unlikely.

Any Rocket plan that does not include drafting a future super star player is a failure and will delay the rebuilding process.

Too many fans just want to try to throw something together like owners tend to do to get fans in the seat. We need to win a championship. That is going to take starting with a player to build around and then doing a very good job of putting the rest of the pieces in place.

Consider this- Rick Adelman will not be the coach the next time the Rockets win a NBA championship.

I am disappointed that so many fans will accept a 5-8 playoff seed as success.

It's all about the ring.

1 person likes this.
  6. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

That is if we get a top 3 lottery pick... Also what superstar talent is available?? I think option 3 is highly unrealistic. Also, Maybe a top 3 pick ends up better maybe not. If we don't land a talent better than Wallace or Iggy why wouldn't we trade for one of them??

7. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

This current team will get you no superstar.

only way: tank and draft and draft until a sure superstar is drafted. you build from there. probably still fail but much closer than other choices.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Rep'd.

Rebuilding will take years, but it has to start at someplace. The Rockets cannot go wrong in getting anybody 1 through 5. If we are picking one or two, you have a chance at Perry Jones, a 6'11" athletic freak in the mold of Kevin Durant, somebody who you can start building an eventual contender around.

Building around Yao was a valiant effort, but which resulted in mostly playoff failure, so a new must be taken, hopefully by the trading deadline.

Aldeman hinted yesterday that he is willing to give more pt to the young players. That is a start. I would just go ahead and give all the young players, including JT, all the significant minutes. They will gain invaluable experience and they will lose games, our objective if drafting a potential star is one of our main goals.

By the all-star break, Battier, Yao, Lowry (expendable because of Ish), Jeffries, Miller, Hayes should all be traded either for young assets or draft picks.

9. Prince

Prince Member

Bad poll choices but this thread has potential.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If your going to do it through the draft, you have to ask yourself:

How many draft classes contain even one such player? And the ones that do, they will be in the top 3 picks most likely. Then it comes down to getting a top 3 pick and hoping its a deep year. So whats the likelihood of all the above happening in say, a 3 year time span?

11. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

3 year span is short compared to what Rockets had experienced.

On average, there is at least one franchise player per draft.
    Also, top good picks can get you franchise players too.

12. rhester

How many teams win championships?

It takes a very good organization and alot of things to go your way to build a team like the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs

You have to start with a great young player- like Derrick Rose
    Then you have to really draft well for another year, win some key trades and be very wise who you sign in free agency, then you have to have chemistry and a good coach for that team.

There is no reason why we can't be as successful as the Spurs who got Duncan, then were very successful getting Parker and key role players to support. How many rings does Duncan have?

It's all about the rings.

Morey needs very high picks and he needs to be a genius in the draft.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually, if Im Morey Im not necessarily thinking any of the three unless a superstar became available, but we all know those days are overwith. Melo and Chris Paul are NEVER coming to Houston. If your Morey then your job is to put the best available options out there for the coach to play with and come up with a winning formula... there lies the first concern.... Coaching.

Change #1= Let go of Adelman

-There is not question that Rick has had a storied NBA coaching career and his resume and winning percentage had been very consistent in the past. But the key word here is PAST. Adelman's system does not fit in with a winning formula for the NEW NBA. Players are just too good offensively to outscore them.

In order to win in the NBA you must be able to defend. With the teams Adelman has had in the past, they were just simply better than the other teams offensively with too many weapons. These days every team has a Kevin Durant, or at least Monta Ellis who will light you up if you dont play defense.

Adelman has tried, he really has, but he is just not a good defensive coach. Never has been never will be.

So who is out there that could be better... well let me put a list of prospective coaches and let you guys Decide who you think would be the best. Some of these are long shots or just for fun, but alot of them should be highly considered if they are interested.

Potential Coaches for Hire-

Mike Fratello
    Tom Izzo
    Elston Turner
    Kenny Smith*
    Mike Brown
    Mike Woodson
    Mark Jackson
    Patrick Ewing
    Rick Pittino
    John Callipari
    Billy Gillespi
    Mario Ellie
    & Jeff Van Gundy

-I personally would love to see Kenny Smith take on the job but I know there is virtually no chance he would be interested. The gig he has now is probably more preferable to most ex-players and coaches. If he was considered I would be all for it. He is a natural leader, great basketball mind, and understands defense and offense. The players would really play hard for him and I think the City of Houston would love to see his familiar face.

-The more likely candidate here might be Mike Fratello if he is still up for it at his age.

14. rhester

exactly- get high picks- you must have a future superstar and some young players with solid starter potential

I would hang on to Lowry (young)

I wouldn't make a trade unless it is a clear win-
    potentially high future draft pick involved.

Stock up on picks for the next 2 drafts.

But even with drafting really good young players you still need to make some good trades and free agent signings to build a championship caliber team.

Look how long it took Hakeem to get his first ring.
    Lebron is still waiting!

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Simple...

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If this thinking was taken to its logical conclusion, then we should trade Yao, and anyone else that helps us get picks.

We all hoped Yao would be our Duncan. I guess you just gamble and hope it works out.

It saddens me that you have to tank to get better, unless your one player away. Seems like the incentives and structures that are in place shouldnt reward poor records more than fair ones. Didnt a winning record used to mean your making better decisions than the guy thats in the cellar? No. If you cant be great, then be terrible.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here are my next 3 Steps Morey should take after the most important 1st step.=

Step#2-Upgrade from Within

-After a coaching staff change then you look to rebuild from within. I personally think Battier, Hayes, and Brooks should be moved on to other teams. Brooks is a solid PG but Morey already spent to secure Lowry and Brooks could be signed and traded for valuable picks or young talent to build around.

The Rockets have good young talent on their roster, I just dont believe they are being used correctly. Jordan Hill is not a high post big/ Courtney Lee is not an Iso SG. Play young players over the Vets and allow them to grow. As DD would say, move away from the comfort foods like Battier, and Hayes.

Step#3- Get Athletic

-The next step would be to get long and athletic. The Rockets are just too short around the rim, and as good as Chuck Hayes might be one on one, he will never be someone who will able to compete with true length and height rebounding the ball and blocking shots. Patrick Patterson should take over his minutes next year to add some of that needed size, athleticism, and do the dirty work.

Step#4 -search for the star .... Again

-And finally, find a player who can take over a game.... might find this guy in the draft, maybe on another team, or maybe on the Rockets bench. But you need someone who can play outside of a system and get you a bucket when you need one.

Taking care of steps 1-3 will get this team headed in the right direction and put them back in the playoffs.

Getting step 4 puts them in contention to win big. Morey has done a good job with the roster so far, but its the coaching that turns the stats into wins.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I didn't want to create a new thread so I'll post this here, since it's more or less on topic.

To me the number one problem with this team, other than health, is that there is no real direction.
    You have a bunch of aging veterans, some guys in or entering their prime, some second year guys, a bunch of rookies and a ton of players who have talent, but don't play, as well as all those future draft picks.

Now all that isn't necessarily bad. In fact it might turn out just fine, but it's hard to win like that.

Jordan Hill is a nice prospect, as is Pattrick Patterson, but neither is someone you can put out there and trust to contribute night in and night out. Not yet.

Of course It's nice to have a deep roster, talented young players and a lot of future draft picks, but if you're trying to win now you might want to try to use some of those assets and upgrade your roster.

Now obviously it's still early. We don't know if Morey has looked into that direction and what the asking price is. The team probably hasn't even decided which direction to go and will continue to sit back and watch the situation further develop before making a move, but then you can't really complain and wonder why this team isn't winning games.