1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like all signs point to Kubiak being fired.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stack24, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Yeah, I imagine the WP thing would only happen if Kubiak sticks around. (shudder to think)

Again, I wouldn't mind Wade manning the D...IF the new bossman wants him here as well.

2. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2010/12/28/giveaways-galore-on-fan-appreciation-day/

With Sunday being Fan Appreciation Day presented by FOX Sports Houston, there’ll be a long list of gameday giveaways to fans at Reliant Stadium.

Giveaways include a $500 gift card to Zadok Jewelers, $1,000 of free energy from Reliant Energy, a $1,000 gift certificate from H-E-B and a flat-screen TV from FOX Sports Houston. Click here for the full list of prizes.

Winners will be randomly selected based on seat location.

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree! By the way, what's the big deal? Going from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense could be interesting. If I'm correct the Packers went from 4-3 to 3-4 and their defense has been much better since then.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think switching to 3-4 is such a monstrous task IF they find a suitable nose tackle like emjohn said. GB needed Raji, and a year ago Casey Hampton said he'd follow Cowher to Houston if he coached here.

Also if you look up the defense that they ran at USC, both Matthews and Cushing played the "elephant," pretty much the 3-4 pass rush OLB role that Clay's been beasting.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

This doesnt make any sense. Get a good person to run your team. Rick Smith??? He has done nothing! No good drafts at all.

6. updawg

updawg Member

It explains why the Texans suck

I can't believe they would bring in Sherman if they do Im done with them.

7. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

he is what we need as a DC! and then cowher as HC!! zomgg..

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If we are going to acquire Cowher as our HC he is going to bring his own people, that include, DC, OC and Etc... so if the rumor is true then Cowher to Houston isn't happening.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Could it get worse? Apparently with McNair, it could. Remember when people who don't know what they are doing, the changes they make could be just as clueless.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Plot Thickens! Now McClain is reporting on his blog that he THINKS Kubiak will be back:

I believe Kubiak will return after all

After the Texans blew the Denver game 24-23, I didn't see how owner Bob McNair could bring back coach Gary Kubiak for a sixth season. Now I'm hearing McNair will keep Kubiak but will insist that he hire a new defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. That means Frank Bush and David Gibbs will be gone. McNair could demand more changes.

I've never seen a coaching controversy like this one. So many fans and some members of the local media want Kubiak to be fired. The Texans could finish 5-11, their worst record since 2005, which was Dom Capers' last season. And yet two defeats ago, McNair said he thought they were on the right track.

McNair is patient and optimistic. Like Kubiak, he's aware of the controversy, but McNair's going to do what he believe is best for the team. The more I think about it — and the more people I talk to — the more I'm convinced McNair is going to announce early next week that Kubiak will return.

Link: http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/12/i_believe_kubiak_will_return_a.html

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Why are you certain that Smith has been sitting in the war room drafting everyone? Kubiak brought him in to sign contracts.....Kubiak and Bush, if I am correct, are the ringleaders in player selection. Kubiak's had a decent eye for skill positions on offense, dubious for lineman, and Bush has excelled at finding LBs, dubious for DTs, and awful at DBs.

Kareem Jackson and Okoye are picks in particular that I've been made to understand were not Smith choices or wants.

The whispers are, Rick Smith is throwing Kubiak, the guy that hired him, under the bus in a power play.

Final game of the season is always Fan Appreciation Day. It was awfully ironic the year the team mailed in a disgustingly apathetic loss against the Browns when they had a shot at 8-8 for the first time, and then the following year capping off 2-14.

Bummed I had to miss last year's win for the first winning season, but wife was still in the ICU following our son's birth.

Connect the dots....but you won't like the picture it forms.

Every time I turn around, the rumblings get worse and worse.....so now the cheapskate might only have TWO members of the staff fired? And what's sad is, Frank Bush actually is one of the only ones on the defensive side that brings something to the table.....as LB guru. He's selected and developed an impressive group.

Would Wade Phillips really be okay with inheriting the rest of those bums (semi-retired Rhodes aside)?

12. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

13. YaosDirtyStache

I am okay with Kubes returning...We have glaring holes on the D that really arent his mistakes...his DC develops the schemes and by all accounts calls the playsets. Offensively we have the best team in the NFL IMO, and all the mental lapses really can be attributed to situational outcomes.

With Wade at DC I think the Texans will finally play up to their potential...its actually nice to see Uncle Bob brining in guys HE wants instead of Kubiacks butt buddies.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So Kubiak is coming back? "Bottom Line Bob" strikes again. They can go 0-16 he wouldnt care just as long as he sales the 70,000+ seats.

15. emjohn

He hired Richard Smith and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to fire him.

He hired Frank Bush (internally) without bothering to look around the league for a proven coordinator.

He hired Alex Gibb's son to be secondary coach as a favor.

He had the final say and had Kareem Jackson drafted 1st despite the wishes of Rick Smith. (Similar story with Okoye).

Refused to bench Jackson. Refused to fire Bush. Refused to fire David Gibbs. Refused to bring in Schobel in August. Refused to consider trades for Cromartie in the offseason or Bailey/Asomugha during the season.

The list goes on and on and on and on

These are his people. His choices. It's on him for being a petulant child and refusing to hold his poker buddies and bust picks accountable for complete failure.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't google a face-palm pic big enough to post in response to this.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hasn't the part in bold already been proved incorrect? LZ and others have said that Smith has final say on picks and even more influence over the defensive side of the ball when it comes to the draft?!?

18. emjohn

I've heard very differently. Who knows - I'm not in that war room. If Kareem was shoved down on Kubiak, isn't it odd how insistent he was this year that Jackson remain entrenched as starter?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Looks like all signs post(point) to Kubiak being back.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LZ on twitter I have spoken with 2 people close to the matter who said Kubiak handled off selections in draft while Rick Smith had "his say-so" w/ defens

I took that commitment to Jackson and our willingness to go young in the secondary as a sign that Kubiak and/or Smith knew/thought that this wasn't a "make or break" year for them, so they could afford to give the young players a chance to succeed. Oddly enough, it looks like Kubiak had Smith's back enough to play Jackson, and Smith might not have Kubiak's back now when it comes to saving their jobs.