1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for GMAT Verbal Tutor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jul 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Hey, as the title says, I'm looking for some 1 on 1 help on the verbal section of the GMAT. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't really want to spend $1k+ for a 5 week class or anything, just a few 1 hour sessions. I've looked on CL and other sites, but most people offer Math tutoring, which I don't need.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

In before Swoly.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

What exactly do you need help with? I teach/tutor GMAT and GRE stuff for a local test prep company, specifically teaching the verbal sections. Is it about the sentence correction (grammar), or the reading comp?

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Listen to this guy. He helped lead our 1994 Rockets team in a supporting role, he can help you. :cool:

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I scored pretty well on the verbal section. Just get that yellow book and do all the verbal questions.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Sentence correction, reading comp and critical reasoning. I've always had problems with the verbal sections in standardized tests. 95% in quant on gmat/sat, but probably 50% on verbal section.

I've gone through a couple gmat books w questions, but stuff like past perfect and all that fun stuff doesn't make much sense to me, as I haven't taken an english class in 10 years.

7. arjun

arjun Member

General GMAT question: I have been taking practice tests (Veritas and Manhattan)...my Veritas scores on avg have been 100 pts higher than my Manhattan scores.

I find the Veritas test relatively easy and the Manhattan one ridiculously hard (quant section)

Can someone give their input on this discrepancy?

Thanks

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was in the 99th percentile on the verbal section of the GMAT...but that was like 12 years ago...never prepared for it. I also wrote some kind of essay or something back then, got a perfect score on it, only to learn that nobody cared about that score.

Anyway, good luck! I hope it goes well.

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I mostly specialize in the sentence correction and reading comp areas, though I can still give you some pointers for the critical reasoning (or give you info of a contact who teaches that area), if you'd like. Email me at askarimonster at gmail dot com if you wanna discuss it further. Good luck!

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What's the big deal? Just read a little Ayn Rand and use simple sentences to talk down to employees. That should be enough to impress B-schools these days.