1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking For Another 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

As a Rocket fan living in VA, I get to keep up w/Wizards ball. Besides Jordan getting off for 41 tonight, I'm keeping a close eye for their front court talent.

Lord knows we should have made a play for Haywood...he was doing great things for them before he injured his thumb. Any way if he can come back in a few weeks and doesn't have to undergo surgery we might have a chance for a deal.

For who you ask...as much as we have discussed Jahidi, I think we can forget about him. With Jordan's return, JW becomes a key component of a team headed for the play-offs. The Wiz are set at 2 and 3. They have Etan Thomas, Jahidi White, and Brendan Haywood at 5. They also have Laettner, Popeye Jones, Kwame Brown at 4.

They really need a PG. Whitney and Lue just don't impress me. Yes, the triangle has been successful w/o a point and Jordan or Hamilton can handle the ball on the break, but its an angle CD can look at.

Of the front court guys above, Popeye Jones and maybe Etan Thomas might be available. Both have done a decent job in the preseason. ET has not done much on the offensive end, but he's been solid on def, rebs, bs (3.7pts, 6.7rebs in 19mins)...PJ has averaged 9pts and 8rebs in 18.5mins and taken up a lot of space underneath the boards.

I think either of these guys could help us. Etan is young and potentially a good 4/5 kind of player. Its doubtful they'll give him away or trade him at all, but with Kwame and Haywood the Wiz could already have their future front court...esp with Jahidi and Laettner holding the fort down. Popeye might be our best bet as far as waiver wire freebie.

For what its worth, there's what I know from this part of the country. Couple of new names in our Monty Python search for the Holy 5.

Shark out.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jahadi is strong as a ox and plays very hard, his limitations on the ft line and offense worry me. I don't know what he makes and for how long, but i think the Rox are going to just play this out with Cato, Collier, and Ike. Boy if Jahadi had a jump hook or something. Hell Kevin Willis would be better than anything we have.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets originally wanted Etan Thomas out of the draft, and hoped to get him trading down.

If his price is right, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in Rockets PJs.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hey! I just moved to Fairfax from Katy, TX. Good to see another Wizards supporter here. Although, it may be presumptuous of me to say you're a Wizards supporter. About Lue, I am willing to give him a chance to prove what he can do. If he can play defense like he did against Iverson, and keep turnovers down, I think he'll work out okay...for now.

5. University Blue

I think with the rule changes for the upcoming season, defensive players will no longer be allowed to grab, hold onto, and trip the offensive player.

University (Il-Lue-minating) Blue

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Really? They changed all those rules?

Seriously though, I thought the rule changes were made to let the referees make less calls. Something about if the defender doesn't impede progress, then its not a foul. That rules sounds like it should help defenders. Am I completely wrong? What rule change are you talking about? I don't know the new rules all that well.

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

during the finals thats all lue would do is impede ai's progress" seriously if you are holding a player trying to get the ball you are breaking a rule. now if that gets called is another story.