1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead to the summer - Do we extend Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Subxero, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Subxero

Subxero Member

Similar to the offer sheet Mo Williams signed a few seasons back - 5yrs 45m?

Or is it better to wait for the new CBA in 2011-2012?

1 person likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That

is a scary question.

I think we wait as long as possible, but a 5 year 45 million would be a great deal, as long as we can afford his tandem in Lowry... Brooks and Lowry together=Success. Apart? I am not so sure...

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think we should wait and see how he does next year.

You give him a crazy contract and then you make him hard to trade also if he doesn't live up to the money.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In normal circumstances you obviously extend your best player.

However, with the CBA expiring, it might be more prudent to wait it out.

Honestly, you could see Morey doing either, very interesting question.

DD

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Look at Rajon's contract and take a couple mil off.

6. Garner

Garner Member

DM recently tweeted about his excitement to see Lowry, Martin, and Yao.

No mention of Brooks in that particular tweet.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

in reference to getting to the FT line.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I just don't see any plausible scenario in which Brooks gets extended this summer. Not only is the new CBA looming as a potential method for being able to limit Brooks's salary increase, but also the Rockets expect to have a great deal of cap room in 2011 and will likely want to maximize their flexibility in case Yao can't come back and they have to blow it all up.

Garner, the comment from DM about Lowry/Martin/Yao was about FREE THROW ATTEMPTS. Those will be the top 3 guys as far as getting to the free throw line. It had nothing to do with wanting Lowry over Brooks.

1 person likes this.
  9. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I'd only give him 5 years/45 Mil if I wanted to tie him up right now because either I knew he would get a fair bit better than he is right now and get a good deal on him.

But I wouldn't, and Morey hopefully won't either, because...

1. The CBA is expiring. It might screw us over.
    2. Brooks doesn't have much potential to significantly better than he is now.
    3. Brooks' numbers this year are inflated due to him being the 1st option on our team so his other teams thinks he is better than he is. So his market value is high this year.
    4. Other teams think he has more potential than we think he does.
    5. Next year he will be either the 3rd option or 2nd option on our team, his numbers overall will decrease even if he becomes a better player. So more bang for our buck.

Oh and right now most teams have a good PG or one with lots of potential, so the value of PGs in the market is quite low this year and should be next year as well.

Brooks shouldn't be getting paid more than 8mil a year.

10. Prince

Prince Member

we can always sign up Rafer. :rolleyes:

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say sign him up for 5 yrs for 45m. As your doing it explain that you understand that the CBA expires soon, and so you could have waited, but because the Rockets appreciate the hard work and all he's done for the team, they want to make sure and take care of him.

It will breed good will, and loyalty. Other players and FA's might see that we are a class organization that rewards it's players and give them some incentive to sign with Houston.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Hot gossip comin through! Are you some kind of sorcerer? You read between the lines and aren't afraid to tell it like it is with your spotlight of truth.

I just read Battier's done for the season. Hm, Adelman finally had enough of his attitude and shoddy work ethic. It's like real news but better. It's CONTROVERSIAL and EDGY!

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sounds about right but not next year. the year after.

We need figure out how next year goes.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Why sign Rafer when Charlie Ward is available? It looks like Skips time in the NBA is up. Very abruptly it seems like.

Did his game/body deteriorate or was he just artificially propped up in our kick it out of the double team for an open three system?

15. DaDakota

While I agree with your thoughts, there are stranger things that happen.

Just look at the Spurs extending Manu for 3 years and 40 million.

There are two ways to view the CBA.

1. It will be a limiting factor, and wait for it.

2. Even if it is limiting, teams will have an ability to OPT out of the penalties.

The NBA may institute a hard cap, but the owners will have some sort of exemption in there to allow them all to get on a level playing field.

So, really, IMO, it depends upon what they think of Brooks, if they view him as one of "THE GUYS"....then maybe you go ahead and extend him in order to keep up the good will.

It will be interesting....and I have no idea what will happen...just gotta watch, I guess.

All in all, he is either the best player on the team, or one of the top 2 or 3, so what do you do with them? Generally you keep them.

DD

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Brooks is NOT our best player.

17. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

No ...were trading him for Chris Paul.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is NOLA that dumb?

Git r dun Morey ;)

19. Robjos

Robjos Member

I dont understand what the deal is with some people here, nobody's asking if he is our best player or not just if u resign him. Now i dont know about everybody but to me brooks has been our best player this season and will get better, i dont get why people say he wont get better than he is now. MArtin is great scorer, but tends to fade away towards the latter parts of the game. Do we extend brooks? maybe or maybe just wait until the new cba comes into effect. its a two sided question, depends on who u ask everything is plausible...

20. DaDakota

Brooks is the guy you want with the ball in his hands at the end of the games to create for himself or others.

And he is getting better and better.

I really don't understand the people that can't or won't appreciate what he does.

20ppg 5 assists, and a team record for 3pters made....in fact the most in the NBA.

What is there to complain about?

I mean the guy has been flat out AWESOME and playing at an all star level.

IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER !

And Rick Adelman's offense takes 3 years to learn....changing out Brooks makes us start over....not good, not good at all.

DD

#20 DaDakota, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010