1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lonny Baxter] Guns Again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kingkow

kingkow Member

btw isn't he overseas or sth?

2. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Psycho freak of the week. Baxter was just another nut case, made a big dough, start flasing-in of what we call a nut case juvenile mentality. Shipping firearms is a felony offense. That's sad!! :(

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

btw, here's the story

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6775538

Former Maryland star Lonny Baxter charged in gun case

Associated Press - July 11, 2007 2:35 PM ET

CHEVY CHASE, Md. (AP) - His lawyer says former Houston Rocket and Maryland basketball star Lonny Baxter will plead guilty next week to a federal gun charge.

Prosecutors say Baxter is accused of breaking the law when he shipped guns from Texas to Maryland last year when he moved.

Baxter is charged with using Fed-Ex to deliver four guns to College Park, Maryland, without notifying the carrier that the package contained firearms.

The crime is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Prosecutors do not allege that the weapons were illegal.

Defense attorney Richard Finci says the charge is related to the case against Baxter last year in Washington. Baxter was sentenced to two months in prison for firing a handgun into the air in a celebration near the White House.

Finci says he'll ask that Baxter be given credit for time served in the Washington case.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Maybe I am just numb to the process, but don't you think these people should be prosecuting some rapist or murderer instead of tracking down the information that when Lonny moved he shipped his gun through FedEx?

Isn't Lonny still playing ball in Europe somewhere?

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Cool dude. I want some nuclear arms. I hope no one infringes my rights to keep and bear them.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hear he's a gunner.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No. But, that's probably a conversation for the D&D, or at least the hangout.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Baxter, Eddie Griffin, and Jayson Williams. How awesome a front line would that be? They can board AND shoot.

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I know right! :D

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Is rape the minimum crime that should be prosecuted? If not what is the cutoff? Armed robbery? Assault? Burglary? Fraud?

You do the crime you do the time. Whether you are a pot smoker, a jay walker, a drunk driver, a murder, or a jackass that fed exes his guns when he moves, you are a law breaker and should expect the penalties. How hard is it to not break the law, or to accept your punishment when you do?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

his point isn't to spare baxter, his point is that they're are more important criminals to catch. the story implies that baxter wasn't trying to do anything illegal. maybe he did it willingly maybe he didn't, but it seems that there was no malicious intent.

I don't care if baxter didn't fill out the correct paper work to ship his guns to his new home. I do care if a murderer or rapist is on the loose.

#31 pgabriel, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Don't forget to throw in Steven Jackson...

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6RifA40K8U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6RifA40K8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

14. IndigoEyes

IndigoEyes Member

Nice Nitzer Ebb reference. That Total Age.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

There are both more and less important crimes. Unless they were pulling detectives off of a more important case, he really didn't have much of a point. I doubt they are letting a murderer escape justice to go after Baxter, more likely FedEx reported him and they are just putting him through the system.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Baxter sentenced for illegally shipping firearms

GREENBELT, Md. -- A federal judge sentenced former University of Maryland basketball star Lonny Baxter to 60 days in prison on Friday for illegally shipping firearms.

The decision could affect the 28-year-old Baxter's upcoming season with a Spanish league team.

U.S. District Judge Peter Messitte based the sentence on Baxter's history with firearms and his actions in the case.

"You are in a sense on injured reserve," Messitte told Baxter. "You have in effect injured yourself."

Baxter, a 6-foot-8 forward and member of Maryland's 2002 NCAA championship team, apologized to Messitte before the sentencing, saying he had an "obsession" with guns.

Baxter last played in the NBA in the 2005-06 season, when he appeared in 23 games for the Houston Rockets and 18 for the Charlotte Bobcats. He was the 44th pick in the 2002 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So he has obsession with guns, big deal. I'm sure we all have our obsessions whether it be p*rn, weed, sex or even clutchfans. I'm pretty sure his intentions weren't bad when he mailed those guns, he just wasn't being smart about it.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Eddie Griffin died,Alston fights and Lonny is shooting around.It seems our players and ex-players got crazy :p

19. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Guns.........lots of guns"

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

How did the Rockets screw up in the offseason!? :confused: