1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lonny Baxter arrested...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfwrox, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

WASHINGTON - NBA player Lonny Baxter was arrested by uniformed Secret Service officers on Wednesday after shots were fired from a vehicle about two blocks from the White House.

Baxter, a forward for the Charlotte Bobcats, was taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. after a witness flagged down a Secret Service officer and reported shots fired from a white sport-utility vehicle, said Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren.

Officers stopped the vehicle, which Baxter was driving, near the intersection of 17th and I streets in Northwest Washington.

There were spent shell casings in plain view inside the vehicle, Zahren said. Officers also recovered a handgun.

Both Baxter, 27, and another man in the vehicle, 35-year-old Irvin Martin, were charged with carrying a pistol without a license and other firearms charges. It wasn’t immediately clear why they were allegedly firing the gun.

We’re not sure at this point, Zahren said. There may be some subsequent charges if we discover some additional information.

The two suspects are being held by District of Columbia police.

Baxter starred at Maryland before being drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the second round of the 2002 NBA draft. He is a native of Silver Spring, Md., just outside of Washington.

Baxter joined the Bobcats in the middle of last season in a trade with Houston.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14370567/

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why can so many NBA players not stay out of trouble?

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Money changes everything...

money..

money..

money changes everything...

4. Cesar^Geronimo

Don't they realize that if they want to get all that money they don't need to be a bad ass punk anymore.

I live near Harrisburg Pa where shooting appear to be happening frequently among teens. They were interviewing some and they said the humiliation of losing a fight is so great that they just shoot each other instead. That's some messed up thinking.

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

wish i could have made the kind of money he makes..or used to...stars/athletes are always caught doing something stupid. too much time on their hands i think.

6. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I was thinking the exact opposite. Money changes nothing when it comes to terms of character. A poor thug just becomes a rich thug once he gets money.

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Perhaps his passenger hijacked his vehicle and forced Baxter to drive to the White House where his passenger fired the shots as part of a terrorist plot.

Don't you guys watch movies? :rolleyes:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

thug power forward - Lonny Baxter!

But seriously, at least he wasn't masturbating while watching p*rn while pulling drive-bys.

9. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

not that there's anything wrong with that...

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/08/16/bc.bkn.baxterarrested.ap/index.html

Baxter arrested by Secret Service
    Ex-Bobcat busted after shots fired near White House
    Posted: Wednesday August 16, 2006 8:25AM; Updated: Wednesday August 16, 2006 10:55AM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former NBA player Lonny Baxter was arrested by uniformed Secret Service agents on Wednesday after shots were fired from a vehicle about two blocks from the White House.

Baxter, who played with the Charlotte Bobcats last season, was taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. after a witness flagged down a Secret Service agent and reported shots fired from a white sport-utility vehicle, said Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren.

Officers stopped the vehicle, which Baxter was driving, near the intersection of 17th and I streets in Northwest Washington.

"There were spent shell casings in plain view inside the vehicle," Zahren said. Officers also recovered a handgun.

Both Baxter, 27, and the vehicle's passenger, 35-year-old Irvin Martin, were charged with carrying a pistol without a license and other firearms charges. It wasn't immediately clear why they were allegedly firing the gun.

"We're not sure at this point," Zahren said. "There may be some subsequent charges if we discover some additional information."

The two suspects are being held by District of Columbia police.

Bobcats spokesman Scott Leightman said Baxter is no longer with the team. "His contract ran out, and we opted not to resign him," Leightman said.

Baxter signed a one-year deal earlier this month with Italian team Montepaschi Siena.

Baxter starred at Maryland before being drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the second round of the 2002 NBA draft. The native of Silver Spring, Md., just outside of Washington, also played briefly for the Wizards.

He joined the Bobcats in the middle of last season in a trade with Houston.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Wow. Baxter was going to play in Europe next year, right?

13. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

i don't know what to think about Lonny Baxter anymore. I thought he was just looking for his chance. I didn't see this one coming at all!

14. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Sign him up. He'll bring attitude to the team

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

16. kingkow

kingkow Member

ok i take back my love for baxter now. i always thought he was suppose to be a good kid.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How about we wait until he is prosecuted and convicted? People are making a lot of assumptions about his character because of this accusation.

18. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

Looks like Lonny really wants to come back. After reading all these posts here about "thug" power forwards he decided to turn into one.

19. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Al Qaida got to another one.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That made me laugh out loud.