1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorns Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rezbama

Rezbama Member

I know a couple of guys that go to school there that could easily play and start for the longhorns. the recruitment process sucks, but just imagine,

a 6'5'' point guard thats a knock down FT shooter, reads passing lanes, great court vision and phenomenal finisher?

what about a fast, knock down J/3 on the court, money ball everytime with chris paul defense?

yeah, UT can upgrade to be the best team every year if it just looks at the talent rolling around on campus.

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

What are there names?

I go to UT, and play at Gregory 3-4 times/week.

3. Rezbama

Rezbama Member

i'm not going to post names, that seems like a privacy bust. but yeah you should know if you've been there for awhile.

4. MourningWood

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea. But, I still think it's a stretch to consider them worthy of PT on Barnes' squad... not saying they are not capable of dressing for the Horns, because Andrew Dick, Melchionni, and Trent Morgan are trash, but I couldn't see them stripping time from Ham, J'Covan, CoJo, etc.

I think the staff should conduct open tryouts for the walk-on slots, because those 3 dudes, especially Morgan (5'9'', 155 lbs.), are whack. There's some serious talent hooping at Gregory... plenty of 2-3 year HS lettermen that spurned offers from very small schools to get degrees at UT.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playing at Gregory and playing D1 ball are two very different things. I used to play with Connor Atchley, and that guy would not miss.

Recruitment has also become such a big thing these days. I highly doubt these guys would get rotation time, let alone start.

You seriously think they're better than Cory Joseph?

6. MourningWood

Big non-conference game at 2:30 this afternoon against Kemba Walker and #12 UConn...

7. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

**** man!!! KW.. smh, maybe he should hav been doubled.. Hard Fought Loss Longhorns!! We should be able to bounce back

8. MourningWood

J'Covan Brown showed up to play... he was the X factor with 20 points off the pine. Hamilton posted yet another double-double with 20 and 11, and Balbay, CoJo, and Johnson were very effective on the defensive end of the floor. Thompson's a beast, but he has to work on his FT woes, or he's going to be a liability in critical late game situations in April/March.

Our lack of depth at the 4 and 5 has really been exposed against tougher opponents. USC, who has a lethal 1-2 punch in the paint, absolutely ate the Horns alive. UConn's post presence has been much weaker this season than in years past, but they were getting buckets/snagging offensive boards at will. Matt Hill is atrocious, and his timidity and lack of movement on offense is detrimental to the team.

Hard fought game, but Kemba Walker was better than advertised down the stretch. The sequence leading up to the step-back he nailed at the end of OT was a mirror image of the step-back pump fake he threw on Balbay late in the 4th quarter. Balbay was hesitant to really commit himself and attempt to contest the shot because he feared Walker would pump and get to the line, where he shoots 84%. He fits the mold of the classic NYC PG... trigger happy, explosive, battle-tested, confident, and more than willing to take the big shot. He reminds me of Ben Gordon, as he appears to be a 2-guard trapped in a PGs body, but he should fare well at the next level.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Damn.. Texas had it!

I think Kemba Walker's amazing 3 pointer shouldn't have been good. It looked like it was still in his hands when it was at zero.

Oh well...

10. MourningWood

I thought the same thing... UConn got very lucky throughout the course of the game. At one point, Shabazz Napier banked in a 3-ball as the shot clock expired.

I still can't believe the Conn. forward that launched the ball the length of the floor with around 10 seconds left in the game. The kid completely lost his focus in the heat of battle, and made a bonehead play. He would have been exiled from Storrs had Texas converted the game-winner.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Tough loss but I don't view it like last year. This team is stronger and should avoid the swoon they went into last season at this same point. No reason they shouldn't start conference off 2-0 with wins at Tech and at home to OU this coming week.

12. MourningWood

Nice 31-point W over Tech in the first Big 12 game of the season.

Excellent defense, and Thompson (20 pts), Hamilton (16), and Joseph (15) led the charge on the other end. Thompson continues to struggle behind the charity stripe... major concern heading in to the heart of the season. 48% from the line is not going to cut it in March.

13. Rezbama

Rezbama Member

Yeah, not better than cory joseph, but they could def. keep up. as said, alot of guys turned down offers to less prestigious schools to get an education. no one is saying these guys are NBA ready but with their current talent level and the help of a d1 TEXAS training staff, i think they could compete better than some of the players on the team now. Not to take away anything from TT, JH, CJ and the guys who show up everyday and play, but there are some that really could be replaced or even added to the bench to develop a more deeper rotation.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Went to the game on Sat against ou. OU has really taken a turn for the worse. I can't foresee Caple surviving after this season. They've lost 12 conference games in a row dating back to last season. They could barely inbound a pass. They apparently didn't get the scouting report that you don't leave Hamilton wide open for 3's. He was 5-8 and was never challenged.

Balbay is playing defense like a man possessed. I was very impressed with him...if only he could shoot, though. He stole the inbound pass right out of halftime and was fouled going to the hoop with it...only to miss both ft's.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Big game coming up vs. A&M.

16. aggie87

aggie87 Member

you guys are going down...

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too sure. Those guys are really talented. They may be the best team in the conference. I love Aggie Hoops as much as anybody...but do not be too overly confident.

18. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

clearly this guy doesn't know what it takes to play D1 powerhouse basketball

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU will win one, UT will win one - the usual...

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You were saying?