1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorns Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

No, I'm not mad about that...I got there 2 hours before tipoff which should be fine to get in as I'm a student and paid for my package long ago as well as drawing the ticket after our win vs K state.

The event staff had no idea how to handle the crowd, kept us in the dark as to the status of seating, and did not keep a well formed line so there was plenty of cutting and generally it was just poorly done.

They either need to reform their ticket policy to allow students proper seating or do a better job in crowd control. Either way, today was ridiculous...but hey at least we won and I got to watch it

2. Major

Major Member

What exactly do you want them to do? A few weeks ago, students and UT alumni wouldn't have shown up for the game, so it was probably mostly Kansas fans buying from the box office.

3. DwightHoward13

I have been to four UT games this year: Iowa State, Kansas State, at Baylor, and Kansas. Coincidentally, those games happen to be the main part of the streak the team is on.
    I think the players should have nicknames; here are my ideas. Feel free to add to these:

Isaiah "The Prophet" Taylor
    DeMarcus "Dutch" Holland

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I want a better system for an important game like a home game against Kansas. Students should not be turned away. I have been at every home game, so I understand the apathy. But there was no apathy today, which is why I wish they had been better prepared for a large crowd.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You don't understand how the Erwin Center works. You want to be guaranteed a seat in the game, buy regular tickets like normal people. Students have access to the student section and once that fills up you are SOL.

I don't get what you are complaining about. You want the Erwin Center to kick out all of the people who paid for their seats so all the students can get in?

6. Major

Major Member

How do you expect no students to be turned away? There are a limited number of seats and the game was sold out.

7. Hustle Town

That's interesting. I paid $80 for an LASP pass. So yes, I am a paying customer. Any other ignorant comments?

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The only ignorant person is you, maybe you shouldn't pay $80 without reading about what you actually purchased.

10. Hustle Town

They over-sold student tickets. They should have cut them off online when student seats ran out. Instead, they tried a system of first-come, first-served, and it left many, many people unhappy.

11. Hustle Town

I have been to every home basketball game, including today's game against Kansas. I got into the game. However, UT made a major mistake by overselling student tickets. But you are entitled to your opinion.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

mlaitkep, you must be a freshman, let me break it down to you in simple terms so the next 4 years you aren't complaining about the same thing.

There are a LIMITED NUMBER of student seats in the Erwin Center. In order to get access to those student seats, you have to pay for the LASP which ONLY gives you ACCESS, not guaranteed seats. The seats are filled on a FIRST COME BASIS.

There is NO WAY the Erwin Center can predict how many students will try to attend the game. Read the tickets closely, it most likely says somewhere you are not guaranteed admission.

They did not "over-sell anything", you just don't know how the Erwin Center works for Longhorn basketball games.

2 people like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

What does that have to do with the number of Kansas fans at the game?

I have no idea what you're referring to with over-selling tickets. Any student can get a LASP - there is no limit to them. If they only sold as many passes as they had basketball seats, then the football stadium would be empty and most of the basketball games would be too.

14. Hustle Town

A student with an LASP has to do an "online pickup" for basketball tickets. They distributed way too many tickets online through the LASP online pickup. UT ticket services usually cuts off the online ticket pickup when they run out of student seats. Not for the Kansas game apparently.

15. Major

Major Member

Gotcha - I didn't realize there were technical issues there. That makes sense.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol mlaitkep ignored me. He is wrong btw. UT does not cut off online ticket pickup for basketball games.

17. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

In which sections? Student section (o-zone) is actually very small at FEC. Those Kansas fans probably paid for tickets in the general section. Not much the lower level staff can do about that...

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Virtually everybody between 10 and 24 lost this week.

Texas collected a win over Kansas, realistically Texas is gonna be in the top 15, probably close to top 10 Monday, which is amazing given expectations

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

even if you have lasp its a first come first serve basis.

20. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Showing up 2 - 2.5 hours before a game against a highly anticipated opponent like Kansas is not that early. So I'm not surprised some UT students got turned away. The only "fail" here is that some people didn't read their tickets and do not understand how the system works. I don't see a problem with how the FEC staff handled things.

Anyway, let's move on from that silly topic. What a great win by the Horns. Barring a collapse later on, this team could be headed towards a tourney seeding between 3 and 6.