1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorn B Ball to Have No 1 2012 Recruiting class?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by glynch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Rick Barnes has gone nuts with recruiting the 2012 class. Ranked No.2 already he just landed another stud. Could a championship be around the corner.

So far -
    Javan Felix PG New Orleans, LA St. Augustine 5'11" 180
    4 stars
    8/8/11 ranked 70 nationally

Prince Ibeh C Garland, TX Naaman Forest 6'10" 230
    4 stars
    10/13/11 ranked 54 nationally perhaps top shot blocker in high school

Connor Lammert PF San Antonio, TX Churchill 6'9" 215
    3 stars
    10/3/11 excellent outside shooter not one and done.

Ioannis Papapetrou SF Melbourne, FL Florida Air Academy 6'6" 190
    3 stars
    10/22/11 Beat out Kansas and Florida. good shooter, passer with all around game who is considered very underanked and new comer to big time rankings from Greece. see http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20111005/COLUMNISTS0315/110050302/FAA-s-real-deal

Cameron Ridley C Richmond, TX Fort Bend Bush 6'10" 245
    5 stars perhaps best traditional big man center in country. ranked 8 nationally
    1/14/11

Also it is down to Kentucky and UT for another stud Devonta Pollard who is ranked around the top 10 to 20 nationally at SF.

Insane.

2. The Joker

The Joker Member

The Florida Air guy is a BEAST. I coach down here in south florida and watching him is fun. Smooth game, only gonna work hard to get better.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

The only problem I think against Texas winning a championship despite how amazing this recruiting class is, is they never keep these guys past their freshman years and thus never really develop chemistry or get tournament tested guys back. Duke and UNC usually keep their starters until graduation.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

UNC doesen't graduate their best players, none of the superpowers do except Duke, but the one and dones and 2 year guys are killing Texas. Most of the 2 yrs guys struggled their first years, so we really only got one stud season out of them.

LaMarcus Aldridge 2 yrs
    Daniel Gibson 2 yrs
    Kevin Durant 1 yr
    D.J. Augustine 2yrs
    Avery Bradley 1 yrs
    Jordan Hamilton 2 yrs
    Cory Joseph 1 yr
    Tristan Thompson 1 yr

Thats a boatload of talent coming through the program, but it's almost impossible to compete for national titles without having at least a year of tourney experience for your best guys. The one and done types are usually easy to spot ahead of time, so i think you should try to mix up your recruits so your not rebuilding every year.

And we need to recruit more shooters, that always seems to be a major problem of ours recently.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

Lammert was a solid outside big, we had to play Churchill twice last year. Ridley is a game changer on the defensive end, nothing special on offense.

6. Nook

Nook Member

If UH ends up signing those other two kids, their class will be better than the UT class. Having said that, no, I personally do not think the UT class is #1. IT IS a very good class though.

7. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Josh Gray

Josh Gray a Big Time talent and Elite recruit is leaning towards UH so if he commits to UH i give the edge to Houston. Also UH has a transfer call JJ Richardson from Pitt so I like UH's better. I also don't think UT has a player the caliber of House a explosive wing. :)

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I don't follow college bball recruiting much but I'm guessing UH has a good class coming in?

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

10. Handles

Handles Member

I lost to Fort Bend Bush in the state playoffs two years ago (the year they won), Cameron Ridley was really solid, huge and only a sophomore so I'm sure he got loads better.

I go to the University of Arizona now and I would say we're competitive for top recruiting class as well. We've got two top ten rated prospects committed with possibly a third. We've also got the eighth best sg committed.

On a side note, this past Saturday UA had their Red-Blue basketball game which is just a scrimmage featuring this years basketball team. Chase Bud and Jordan Hill were there along with others: Michael Dickerson, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Williams, Richard Jefferson, Jerryd Bayless, Channing Frye, and Jason Terry. I guess this was just an extremely drawn out way of saying that Bud got inducted into Arizona's Ring of Honor before the game along with Terry and Williams. Not huge news but Rockets related nonetheless.

11. Handles

Handles Member

Actually, ESPN does have Arizona ranked as the best recruiting class. Nice, I was just guessing

12. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

Is arizona better then arizona state? just curious :grin:

13. Handles

Handles Member

Hell yea we are. Better record against them, better alumni, better current team/coach.