1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

London fire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can't recall seeing a building fire rage like what happened there at Grenfell Tower in London last evening. I'm a fan of the movie "The Towering Inferno" but this blaze made that fake blaze in the film look like a cakewalk. It was just a horrifying sight and to think of the people who were trapped in that building is sickening and horrifying. Those people asleep on the upper floors likely had no chance at all. And, from what I read, people who got out say the fire alarms did not even go off. I just hope most of them got out. It's scary to think how many may have actually died but they have only put the number at six fatalities so far. My thoughts and prayers go out to those people.

#1 Surfguy, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There are plenty of projects in the US that could go up as easily. Scary to think about.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Last time I saw something like that was a tower in Dubai....then another tower in Dubai.....

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reports are that parents were throwing their kids out of the windows.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

One was from 9 floors up!

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I just heard about this today. Super sad especially the reports of building dwellers calling their relatives saying their goodbyes knowing they are going to die.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In one of the most affluent boroughs, no less. There is a thing in London where they try to mix affordable living with the wealthy, sometimes even in the same complex. This was a "lower class" housing in the middle of fancy town that was just refurbished but even still was never really safe and the borough knew it. Nobody cared, though, because they have to cater to the rich people instead. The rich people who are constantly trying to get the affordable housing out of their area.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

i would say goodbye quickly and hang up. very sad.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't understand how they were telling people to stay put in their flats and put a towel under the door. That's basically condemning them to death for sure. Terrible advice. They are probably dead either way but I wonder how early in the fire they were telling people this? Some may have had a chance. Staying put means no chance.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've stayed in that area in London a few times. It's very expensive area. Those poor people : (

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

had to be the most gut wrenching decision
    I could not imagine . . .as a parent.

Rocket River

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've sat through a safety orientation for an office complex I won't name who has a similar policy. I can't remember which, but they either tell you to stay in the building if the fire's not on your floor or if it's not on an adjacent floor as they expect the fire barriers between the floors to take hours to burn through. My basic thoughts though were "Fat chance, I'm out of here if I find out there's a fire in the building."

malakas likes this.