1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Loaning NBA players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HtownTrill, Dec 24, 2017.

1. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

I think the NBA should look into this take a page from soccer and let teams loan out their players especially during the playoff would make for must see TV every year .
    What do y'all think about loaning NBA players ?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Would not work at all for the NBA.

3. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

why wouldn't it?

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

If the rockets didnt make the playoffs then i would be disgusted with seeing harden play for another team. It would be harder to root for him in a rockets uniform the next year.

Im sure plenty of nba fans feel the same way.

Also, what if a star gets seriously injured playing for another team. Does the original team get to abandon the contract and leave the injured players contract to the team that was borrowing him?

With all due respect, this is a dumb as fuc idea

Nook, AB423, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Got to admit I think it would be a ridiculous idea In the NBA that wouldn't work.

So the Warriors would eventually face a team of AD, Kawhi, Harden, Westbrook and Paul George?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

I think it will work,
    you wouldn't watch that ?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Complete joke of an idea.

Jayzers_100 and Pen15clubber like this.
  9. Mr. Space City

The Loan System is different in Soccer.

Usually clubs loan out young players that won't really get much playing time with the first team, so they loan them out to a lesser team or a team in another league to get them some experience instead of have them rot on the bench.

They don't usually loan stars out in soccer. Eden Hazard is not going to get loaned to Bayern Munich.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd watch it.

But there's something peculiar about a rafter hanging from an area with:

"We thank the Oklahoma City Thunder, and the San Antonio Spurs, and the New Orleans Pelicans for loaning their best player in helping us win this championship. Houston, this one's for you!"

Yeah.... just sounds laughable.

da_juice and Pen15clubber like this.
  11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, so the analogous equivalent to this idea would be Houston loans Chinanu Onuaku, Zhou Qi, and Troy Williams to the Chicago Bulls to get some playing time.

We have the D-League for this, it's a stupid idea. Would only work if there were multi-tiered leagues and each league actually had fan support behind it. The D-League is already a complete joke that nobody really watches or is a fan of. It will never work here.

Nook and da_juice like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm all for loaning our players to go on loan and learn other team's secrets and then sabotage from within.

13. malakas

malakas Member

You mean loan to another league?
    The good european teams wouldn't accept that. Why would Panathinaikos or Real Madrid play a young player who would surely suck in the beggining only to see him after one two years leave for nothing? Not to mention that the player would take one of only two positions for american player allowed.
    On the other hand,if you want to loan them to a chinese team or a bad second division european team then that would be detrimental for the player development.

There are some developmental teams in europe like zaragoza or Mega Leks, but their purpose is to get money from buyouts when the players become good. They wouldn't get anything from developing other teams' players.

14. rockets13champs

Soccer doesn’t have a draft or cap limit. It can’t work

15. rockets13champs

Well to my knowledge Bobby Brown doesn’t have a no loan clause... have fun in the bay buddy!!!

Gorki, amaru and Jontro like this.
  16. Moleb

Moleb Member

I wouldn't do it, because if harden went to play on another team & had a career altering injury. I'd be pissed.

17. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Great for fans.. Bad for the NBA

18. CALI_MOST_WANTD

That sounds strange! I never knew such a thing existed in any sport. What about competition and rivalry. It would be like watching all star games every year. Sounds like a joke. NBA doesn't need to get desperate for ratings. People already watch.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish someone would loan us some healthy extra players right now ;)

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could also just loan out role players.....I think that's the main idea but I won't hold my breath, meh!